PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Hi Wall pressure

Norm
01-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Chuck Hawks says the Browning Hi Wall and the Ruger No 1 are capable of +P loads. My question is, What difference is there between the Browning rifle and the Uberti, as far as max pressure?
I have a Uberti that I want to try with paper patch bullets.

Harry O
01-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I used to belong to a couple of single shot magazines. This is from memory, so take it or leave it. There was an article on High-walls of various kinds, their hardness and interchangeability of parts. One of the things that was most interesting to me was the hardness tests various parts from various guns. The Browning was equal to anything made today (new bolt actions, Ruger No. 1, etc). The Uberti was not as hard as that, but harder than originals. The original High-walls were considerably softer than either of them. Hardness is directly related to tensile strength.

I personally would not fire an original with anything more than black powder. In fact, I am having an original Remington rolling block rebarreled. I will NOT use anything other than black powder in it. I have several Uberti's of various kinds and I use normal smokeless loads in them without problems. I only use +P loads in Ruger's.

Norm
01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Harry, you're very kind to provide such a helpful answer to a question that has obviously been asked a lot in the past. I apologize for taking up space with it, and after this I will use the search function first.

Buckshot
01-12-2008, 05:59 AM
.................Norm, the search function thing here isn't the best, but it might find you something:-)
I remember reading that when the Winchester High Wall repro's first arrived there was much talk about soft actions. A couple different writters from different mags both had hardness tests performed. Both recommended BP loads of BP equivilent smokless loads.

However, that softness issue had been resolved not too long after the rifles first became available. Without a doubt we are the Italians largest market for these firearms reproductions and even a mild negative send ripples all the way back to Italy :-).

I have no reason to do so, but I'd surely have no qualms whatsoever in loading the old "High Velocity" smokless loads Winchester loaded for the 38-55 way back, in my Uberti Hi-Wall.

.................Buckshot