PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Box ID

NVcurmudgeon
01-11-2008, 01:15 AM
I have recently aquired a box for a Ruger single action revolver. The instruction manual is the "Revised March 31, 1957" edition and covers the Single Six, Single Six Lightweight, .357 Magnum caliber Blackhawk, and.44 Magnum Caliber Blackhawk. The Super Blackhawk is not listed. The instruction manual has Ruger's address without ZIP code. The "join the NRA card" has the NRA address without ZIP code. The box appears to be wooden, covered with black leather or leatherette. There is a gold Ruger eagle on the top of the hinged lid. The inside of the box has a cutout in an obvious revolver shape, covered and lined in pool table green suede. The inside of the lid is padded and covered with the same green suede. The outside dimensions of the box are 7 3/8" X 13", 2 1/8" high. The revolver-shaped cutout inside can accomodate a revolver 10 3/4" OAL. The front sight portion of the cutout is square and 1" long, making me think it may be intended for one of the Blackhawks, rather than the Single Six. Barrel length could not be much over 5" and fit in the box. Any Ruger Single Action fans out there who know which revolver this box is for?

454PB
01-11-2008, 01:20 AM
I bet Flatgate on the rugerforum.com can tell you, he's a wealth of Ruger knowledge.

I believe the Super Blackhawk was introduced around 1963.

Those old Ruger boxes, even the cardboard ones, are selling at a premium recently. You may have a real valuable box there.

NVcurmudgeon
01-11-2008, 08:31 AM
I bet Flatgate on the rugerforum.com can tell you, he's a wealth of Ruger knowledge.

I believe the Super Blackhawk was introduced around 1963.

Those old Ruger boxes, even the cardboard ones, are selling at a premium recently. You may have a real valuable box there.

Thanks, 454PB, I'll try over there.

454PB
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I see you've got some people interested, but no real solid info yet.

I was wrong, the Super Blackhawk was intoduced in 1959.