PDA

View Full Version : LEE collet FCD for .41 mag?

badge176
05-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Did RanchDog get this size done up as well as the .357 and .44 mag that I already have?

gray wolf
05-19-2014, 09:08 PM
He may have, not sure a 100%, but I have been looking for one in the 357 flavor.
No luck no how, very frustrating.

DougGuy
05-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Edit: I apologize, yesterday I posted the wrong link, I posted a link to the carbide FCD and not the custom collet style FCD, here is the corrected link:

Lee does have some of those in .41 Magnum.. http://leeprecision.com/41-mag-collet-style-custom-factory-crimp-die.html

I use them in .44 Magnum and .45 Colt and they work great after I got finished tweaking them to fit my needs. Out of box the crimp band is too wide, it would actually be crimping the boolit above the case mouth which I thought counterproductive, so I narrowed and lowered the crimp band as seen in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201449-Question-about-type-of-crimp-required&p=2239315&viewfull=1#post2239315

texassako
05-19-2014, 09:54 PM
I thought Ranchdog had them made up like the rifle FCD. Open on top and no carbide sizer in the bottom. I wouldn't mind finding a few of them myself, if that is how he had them made.

DougGuy
05-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Here are the uncataloged custom collet style crimp dies they have, most of these are overruns of custom made dies: http://leeprecision.com/custom-factory-crimp-die-overruns/

DeadWoodDan
05-20-2014, 11:03 AM
OK i have to ask how are these different and how do they function compared to those with carbide ring(?). I am assuming the collet style does not size down the round?
thanks
Kevin

Airman Basic
05-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Tangential question I hope someone can answer. Does the Redding profile crimp die perform the same function?

DougGuy
05-21-2014, 01:09 AM
OK i have to ask how are these different and how do they function compared to those with carbide ring(?). I am assuming the collet style does not size down the round?
thanks
Kevin

They have a 4 fingered collet that closes from the side same as the collet style rifle dies. They do not size down the boolit or the round, they crimp without pushing down on the loaded round like a roll crimp would do.

I have not worked with a Redding profile die so I cannot comment on it, but I have seen the crimped round from the profile die and it looks very similar to the crimped round done by the Lee die.

BK7saum
05-21-2014, 02:06 AM
Tangential question I hope someone can answer. Does the Redding profile crimp die perform the same function?

The redding die crimps like a standard roll crimp die but is narrow near the crimp to squeeze down the case near the case mouth. I bought one a few weeks ago. Not real happy. It would work ok with 0.410" boolits but it sizes my 0.412" boolits down due to the tapered "profile" portion of the die. I tried to lap out the die a little but they are HARD!

Brad

TheDoctor
05-21-2014, 10:03 AM
RanchDog did have them in 41 Mag, along with 357, 44, and 45 Colt. I had bought all BUT the 41 in the past, for at that time, I didn't load for 41. Asked him if he had any 41's left over, was interested in buying one. No inventory of them remained, but he let me know that Lee now offers them as limited production runs. At the time, I was going to be out of touch for about a month, so as to ensure that I would be able to get one, he ordered one for me! Got to drop by his place a couple of days after I got back, and pick it up from him. Very nice man. He showed me around, and showed me some bullets he had cast, and some that were loaded. Very cool. I wish both of us had had more available time that day.