PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys run for Redhawk grips?

tja6435
05-19-2014, 04:41 PM
I have several sets of grips for my Redhawk and still haven't found one that I like. I currently have a Pachmayer presentation camo grip on it as it doesn't beat my hands as bad as the other sets including Hogue, Uncle Mikes and the factory skinny wood grips.

The pachmayers take the recoil the best and have the backstrap covered, but they are borderline too big for my hands. The Uncle Mike's are 2 piece and the seam over the backstrap destroys my hand. The Hogue have the backstrap exposed and don't reduce recoil enough.

Too bad Ruger couldn't make the Redhawk II with the gp100 style of grip frame instead of the Super Redhawk with its' nifty looking barrel/receiver interface they got going on there.

Suggestions on a skinner grip set that covers the backstrap and handles the recoil well? I may just have to begin reducing loads so it doesn't beat my hands up so much

AlaskaMike
05-19-2014, 05:02 PM
My hands are pretty big, so I tend to prefer larger grips. The wider profile seems to spread out the recoil energy. I've got Eagle Oversize grips on a couple of my hard recoiling revolvers and like them pretty well. The smooth wood allows the grip to slip in my hand somewhat, where the rubber grips end up giving me blisters after a couple cylinderfuls of shooting unless I'm wearing gloves.

I do have Pachmayer Presentation grips on my S&W Model 28, and I'd be surprised if you'll be able to find a skinnier grip that also covers the backstrap.

Mike

pmer
05-19-2014, 05:16 PM

A nice set of wood grips might be the way to go. These are Jordan Troopers (I think), they came with the 45 Colt Redhawk. I tried a rubber grip because these felt too big and my groups opened up. Put these back on and started hitting good with it again. +P loads are not a problem either.

tja6435
05-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys. May be time to fork out for a nice set of wood grips.

Mike, do the Eagle grips cover the backstrap or are they made such that it's not a big deal compared to covered?

Pmer, same questions^

pmer
05-19-2014, 07:02 PM
The back strap is covered as well as the bottom with these. http://www.herrettstocks.com/ Here is some information.

There might be grip makers here on the forum too.

contender1
05-19-2014, 10:53 PM
I took a set of Pachmyers on a T/C Contender that I felt were a bit too big in certain areas, (for my hands,) and with a bit of help from a rasp, I removed some rubber. Ugly at first, but following it with sandpaper, they smoothed up a bit & felt MUCH better. They do tame the recoil too! Maybe you could try that with a set of the Pachmyers?

Mk42gunner
05-20-2014, 01:37 AM
You have tried and didn't like my two choices, the Hogue monogrip and stock, so I really don't know what to tell you. If you attempt surgery on a rubber grip, it usually works better if the rubber is frozen first.

Back when I had my Redhawks in .44, it wasn't the recoil that bothered me so much as the gun torqueing over to the right; causing the sharpish edge of the frame over the trigger to drag along the top edge of my trigger finger. Very annoying getting calluses scraped all the time. The next one I get will have that area rounded gently.

I do like the looks of pmer's grips.

Robert

JLarsson
05-20-2014, 08:24 PM
I have used both the Hogue monogrip and the Uncle Mike's. The Uncle Mikes are my current favorite.

tja6435
05-20-2014, 09:27 PM
The Uncle Mikes also cut my finger up under the trigger guard, unless it's another set I'm thinking of. And the seam was killing me without gloves. I think I may run the factory skinny grips next range trip and see how they go. Maybe I need to go skinnier instead of fatter?

Frank46
05-20-2014, 10:23 PM
I have pachmayers on my 44 mag redhawk. Got tired real quick when the trigger guard was smacking my knuckle. These aren't the hard grips. Much softer and made a real difference. Frank

44man
05-23-2014, 09:49 AM
I never liked the frame on the RH and they are hard to find the right grips for but the wood ones shown look real good.

monadnock#5
05-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Something else that will help a little: Jerry Miculek showed several styles of shooting a DA revolver. For the S&W 617 types he recommended a hold high on the grips, so as to maintain maximum control with minimal muzzle flip for fast follow up shots. For the X Frame class, go the other way. Hold as low as possible on the grips and let the muzzle flip all it wants. Not a cure, it does help though.

I have a 625-7 Mountain Gun in .45LC and a RH 5-1/2" in .44Mag that I love to shoot, but only in very small doses. If I ever decide to go Herrett Custom, it's those two that will put me over the edge.

alamogunr
05-26-2014, 11:12 AM

A nice set of wood grips might be the way to go. These are Jordan Troopers (I think), they came with the 45 Colt Redhawk. I tried a rubber grip because these felt too big and my groups opened up. Put these back on and started hitting good with it again. +P loads are not a problem either.

Those look similar to a set of Herrett's that I have on a S&W Model 28 conversion to .44 Spec. Same as you they feel too big but I'm not inclined to spend more to experiment. Herrett's seem to know what it takes to make functional grips.

Zim
05-26-2014, 03:48 PM
I run with Pachmyer Grippers. The presentation always felt too big for my hand. The grippers are skinnier.

Baja_Traveler
05-26-2014, 04:03 PM
I have Hogue Cocobolo grips on mine - I like them a lot, and they look good too...

http://www.pbase.com/baja_traveler/image/153559251.jpg

tja6435
05-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Nice rig! What kind of barrel is on it? I was about to ask if you had the factory barrel fluted, but then noticed lack of lower lug/ejector shroud.

How's the recoil on your hands with those grips and the open backstrap?

It's not that I'm scurd of the recoil, it's that as I get older, my hands just don't rebound from the punishment as quick. Recently, I'll load up 6 44 mags in my Redhawk and shoot them until I think I've run them all (all other guns I seem able to keep accurate count, even 30rd mags in the rifle), open the cylinder up and see I still have 1 left. Sure felt like 6. Happens to one of my buddies frequently as well---but just the Redhawk with some beefy handloads or factory ammo.

I don't hunt with it, so really I don't have a need for full power loads but I always seem to forget that come reloading time and fill 'em up with 2400 (I don't really fill them up, I use a measure)

tja6435
05-26-2014, 04:58 PM

Here is my Redhawk. I use the Crossfire Elite bandolier/chest holster when out with it. The strap will double use as a belt so the Redhawk doesn't drag your pants down with your belt.

FYI if you go to their website, you can get these holsters on close out for $22 plus shipping. I bought one for all my wheel guns. You can use the holster on your belt like a regular open carry holster, use it like a bandolier holster or as a belt holster with the strap. It has a lower strap to attach to your belt/pants to keep your revolver against your body and stop it from swinging out/down when bending over.

Tom Herman
05-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Another vote for the Pachmayr Gripper grips: I put them on all my Redhawks! They fit my hands well, and cover the backstrap which the Hogues don't do.

Baja_Traveler
05-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Nice rig! What kind of barrel is on it? I was about to ask if you had the factory barrel fluted, but then noticed lack of lower lug/ejector shroud.

How's the recoil on your hands with those grips and the open backstrap?

I turned and fluted the barrel from a Douglas blank back when I worked in a machine shop. I intended to use it for shooting silhouettes, but that never happened. Still have the original 7 1/2" factory barrel in the safe, so I can always go back if I wanted to. I skeletonized the hammer and put a Wolf spring kit in it.

With anything, the felt recoil depends on the load. I made up some pretty stiff silhouette loads, and they do recoil pretty good, but having that 10" heavy barrel out there really takes the bite out of it - the revolver just hits you in the web of your hand and rolls right up and over. Not bad at all...