PDA

View Full Version : Videos of my adjustable fixtures for cutting brass on my HF saw - from chuckbuster

DukeInFlorida
05-19-2014, 02:59 PM
This thread is LONG overdue. I ordered and received this set of fixtures a long time ago, from our friend, chuckbuster. It started with the need to specifially cut 9mm brass faster than I was doing with my RCBS Trim Pro.

To make my 165 grain .40 caliber swaged bullets, I can go either of two ways:
1) I can use 380 auto brass, as-is, and drop a 105 grain cast boolit as a core, and swage into 165 grain .40 caliber bullets. The 380 auto brass isn't as readily available as I would like for the vast qtys of the .40 bullets I make.

or

2) I can use 9mm Luger brass, cut to the same length as the 380 auto brass, and use the same 105 grain cast cores, and proceed.

The trimming of those on the Trim pro was laborous and time consuming. I wanted a fast way to get them shorter. I saw some advertisements on various forums for a pop through fixture to assist with turning 223 Rem/5.56 brass into the proper length for producing 300 AAC Blackout brass. Hmmmmmmmm....

As I thought about that, I immediately saw the advantage of also having the ability to cut other brass sizes. And, if I could get some adjustability, all the better! I chatted with chckbuster about it, and asked him to make me a set of pop through type fixtures, and gave him the range of cut lengths I'd like to achieve with each size. Sent sample brass, and my saw, and he sent me back this set of amazing fixtures.

They each snap into an adjustable holder. The adjustable feature is done by loosening two set screws, and turning a knurled knob screw. I then drop the fixture into two locating holes, and secure it with a tightening screw. I can pop through brass to my hearts content, quickly and effortlessly. I can do a changeover to another size in less than 5 minutes.

I've taken a video of the fixtures, and have uploaded them to YouTube, and linked them below. For some reason, my video cam decided to quit half way through the video, requiring me to start again, to finish the display of the fixtures. I am in the process of uploading as I type this. It'll take a while. So, if you are among the first to click a link, and get any sort of error, it's likely because the videos haven't finished uploading. Try again a bit later.

Needless to say, I am VERY happy with the design of this setup. I understand that I have the "prototype" model, and yours (hope that you also buy one from chuckbuster) might also have some refinements. His cannelure machine quickly became even more amazing than my prototype of that. The point is that chuckbuster isn't at all afraid of designing and creating custom tools that allow us to do our swaging operations. His pricing is more than fair, the quality is truly aerospace (mine even has laser engraved details with the caliber information on it!), and the delivery comes fast!

Here is the first video (the admins restrict one video per post, apparently)

Part 1 of 2:

http://youtu.be/cquFLCPbqaU

Thanks, chuckbuster, for making my swaging operation totally wonderful.

If anyone is interested in similar fixturing, you should contact chuckbuster directly.

DukeInFlorida
05-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Here's part 2 of the video:

Part 2 of 2:

http://youtu.be/TQv0wLTjrgg

Oh... and..........

chuckbuster works for a high quality tool and die parts distributor. That is, they sell taps, cutting tools, etc.... He can get the saw blades for the Harbor Freight saw, in much higher quality than comes with the machine, for not a lot of $$$. Made a big difference in the quality of my cuts.

scarry scarney
05-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Nice Videos. PM sent to chuckbuster. Thanks

a.squibload
05-19-2014, 07:52 PM
That's a little fancier than mine...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qwCl6dN62TI/T7c2AsI9nSI/AAAAAAAAAcc/Iq6PA4zEMuM/w512-h384-no/trim+jig.jpg

chuckbuster
05-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanx for the video Duke.
Please note everyone that I am NOT the genius behind this stuff. Due to my working in sales for an Industrial Tool Supply House I happen to know some very talented individuals. The REAL BRAINS behind these fixtures is on of my customers, Aerospace/Medical Tool and Die Man for 45+ years. Around here he will simply be known as Mike. Just want credit to go where it belongs.

At this time although we have the saw fixture blueprinted etc, we are not making anymore at this time. There is a ton of work to them and Mike's schedule is FULL right now. With the nice weather finally beginning "Hot Rod" season is upon us and one of his main projects during this time of year is doing a fair amount of very custom machine work for a couple of Performance/Hot Rod Shops. With those long standing commitments as they are it is not possible for us to do these fixtures and maintain the delivery schedule and pricing that we have imposed on ourselves. I'll try to keep track of anyone interested, when the schedule opens up a little between Hot Rod and Snowmobile season maybe we can squeeze a couple in.

The Cannelure tools are a little different since they are not as custom/one of a kind so we are going to continue to work on them in batches.
Thanx for your interest and understanding.
Kevin/aka chuckbuster

a.squibload
05-21-2014, 04:02 AM
Hmm, what if Hot Rod Snowmobiles start to catch on?
You guys won't have a spare minute...

:smile: