PDA

View Full Version : Beware of your muzzle direction, adult gore warning!

Cactus Farmer
05-19-2014, 12:21 PM
[105386ATTACH=CONFIG]105384[/ATTACH]105385

I hope he learned the lesson.........

xacex
05-19-2014, 12:41 PM
Ouch! Were they able to save the toe?

starmac
05-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Steel toed boots??? What caliber?? That is going to be painful for a while.

Cactus Farmer
05-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Not me! I'll try to find any added info and pass it on.

smokeywolf
05-19-2014, 12:59 PM
On the bright side, I'll bet that ingrown toenail isn't bothering him anymore.

I just hope the person who screwed up handling the firearm is the same one who owns what's left of that toe.

One of my biggest aggravations is when one person screws up and somebody else has to pay the price.

smokeywolf

osteodoc08
05-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Tis a flesh wound. (For those Monty Python fans)

Hope he can keep the big toe. I guess it coulda been worse.

plmitch
05-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Hard to belive anyone would be stupid enough to shoot themselves in the foot.

MOcaster
05-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Tis a flesh wound. (For those Monty Python fans)

Hope he can keep the big toe. I guess it coulda been worse.

"What are you going to do, bleed on me?"

DeanWinchester
05-19-2014, 03:06 PM
You been runnin' with Junior?

fecmech
05-19-2014, 04:56 PM
A fellow at out Sporting Clays field put the muzzle of his automatic shotgun on his toe after he came off the stand. He had evidently loaded one more shell than he thought. While watching another shooter he pulled the trigger and shot his foot similar to that one but much less damage. His toe spacing was such that he only took a little meat off each toe and he had the shotgun positioned perfectly. He was one lucky guy!

nicholst55
05-19-2014, 05:06 PM
I'll bet he's going to limp for the rest of his life...

willie_pete
05-19-2014, 05:32 PM

I know people that do it all the time. Figuratively of course; not literally.

WP

missionary5155
05-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Greetings
That gives me the shivers ! I am going to go back to the spider thread.
Mike in Peru

FISH4BUGS
05-19-2014, 06:20 PM
When I shot myself with a 22 in the leg I was kind of disappointed when all I had was 3 band aids....in/out/in and stopped at my ankle. Still have the bullet just above my ankle. My late grandpa (30 year Oklahoma City cop) came to see me in the hospital and told me when he shot himself in the leg with a 1911 45, living on a farm in rural Texas the only medical treatment was the local veterinarian. He said he put a cleaning patch with iodine on it on a cleaning rod and ran it through the hole.....it makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Hope they save the toe.....that must have hurt like hell......
What aggravated me more with my gunshot was the incessant police questions about how I got shot. They must have had 5 different cops ask me 15 different ways what happened. I guess after the same story was told 50 times they must have finally believed me.
But the physical therapst was a babe.............

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-19-2014, 07:18 PM
e ... ;)

a.squibload
05-19-2014, 07:24 PM
I have copies of these pics from 2009, they're at least that old.

Bullshop Junior
05-19-2014, 08:30 PM

I did it...with a rifle.

Gator 45/70
05-19-2014, 09:47 PM
My old dad did that though not as bad, Only took off a tip of his little toe, He had his Luger with him in the chicken coop when he jumped a snake, Seems the snake made a run at his feet while he was shooting at it.

Outch
05-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the Post.
These type of pictures makes me repeat
(Learn From Others Mistakes).

MaryB
05-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Thought it was your foot at first!

I did it...with a rifle.

Bullshop Junior
05-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Naw. I hit mine further back and didn't do near that much damage

Bullshop
05-19-2014, 11:31 PM
To me it looks like a close range shot gun blast. Look at the size of the entrance hole. Maybe 20 gauge?

Bullshop Junior
05-19-2014, 11:32 PM
I was thinking that since it didn't break the bone, just wiped the flesh off of it.

oldred
05-20-2014, 04:32 AM
What aggravated me more with my gunshot was the incessant police questions about how I got shot. They must have had 5 different cops ask me 15 different ways what happened. I guess after the same story was told 50 times they must have finally believed me.
But the physical therapst was a babe.............

The same thing happened to me and I wasn't even shot!!!!

At work a few years ago I dropped a carbon arc torch (AirArc to you welders out there) with a 3/8" carbon rod that had only seconds before been used, this thing was glowing red carbon at maybe 1500 deg and probably even hotter. It hit me in the thigh as I grabbed for it and instantly went nearly two inches deep, I later learned. Since I was grabbing for it at the time it happened it was only in the wound for a fraction of a second and not long enough for that hot tip to cauterize the puncture so I was left bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig! When I arrived at the ER the attending doctor took one look and called the police! It did look like a close range bullet wound I suppose except for no exit hole, nice round open wound with slightly blackened edges and lot's of swelling, still the lack of an exit wound should have been obvious given the location and angle. Everyone was gung ho and made it plain there would be an investigation and I could be facing serious charges if I was lying, I was told it would go a lot better if I would just "come clean" about what "really happened"! Finally they were ready for me in X-Ray and the image clearly showed relatively (for a gunshot wound anyway) little and only local tissue damage with no foreign object present and no evidence of removal of any object, so they FINALLY took my word (and my co-worker's word who had brought me there) for what had happened. I still get POed at the way I was treated when I arrived and even after they reluctantly accepted my version of what had happened, no one attempted an apology at all.

Bloodman14
05-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Man, them carbon arcs get HOT!! Saw a guy try to hold the lead in the crook of his arm and it slipped. He was screamin' like a wounded panther! Left a blister 6 inches long by a half inch wide.

Moonie
05-20-2014, 09:43 AM
We had one of our football players in High School trip while rabbit hunting and blow a hole through the center of his foot with a 12 guage. He used crutches for quite a while.

DR Owl Creek
05-20-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't think I want any holes in me that are big enough to see through!

Hickok
05-20-2014, 01:25 PM
I guess after a couple of days whatever is alive will be flesh colored and whatever is dead will be black and stink.

Bullshop Junior
05-20-2014, 01:34 PM
We had one of our football players in High School trip while rabbit hunting and blow a hole through the center of his foot with a 12 guage. He used crutches for quite a while.

Surprised he ever got off the crutches.

Nicholas
05-20-2014, 03:30 PM
It is amazing what some survive without any apparent significant damage. When I was in high school several decades ago an acquaintance tripped on a log carrying a loaded 22 with safety off and managed to shoot himself in the forehead. The slug went between the lobes and exited out the top. He was on the school bus a couple of weeks later.

oldred
05-21-2014, 04:17 AM
It is amazing what some survive without any apparent significant damage. When I was in high school several decades ago an acquaintance tripped on a log carrying a loaded 22 with safety off and managed to shoot himself in the forehead. The slug went between the lobes and exited out the top. He was on the school bus a couple of weeks later.

Maybe not a gunshot wound in this case but you're certainly right about how some people can survive what should be the unsurvivable! Back in the early 70's I had just left my uncle's auto body shop and while opening my car door I heard brakes squealing, I looked up just in time to see a car smash into a 12 year boy who had just gotten off a school bus. The bus had already left and a group of kids had just crossed the road from where they had been standing but this boy, for whatever reason, had been left behind and ran to catch up, in his haste crossing the road without looking first. When the car hit the boy the image was forever etched into my memory and I can still see it today as clearly as if it was yesterday, he flew up into the air and came back down onto the windshield smashing through almost into the car. The impact actually knocked both his shoes off which sailed through the air as if they had been thrown and ended up in the middle of the road over 50 feet away, the boy was lying cradled in the broken windshield trying to catch his breath when I ran to the scene but other than a few bruises and cuts he seemed to be ok by the time the ambulance arrived, I later learned that he only missed one day at school over the incident and would not have even done that but he was held overnight at the hospital for observation.

NewbieDave007
05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks for sharing this photo. Although it is somewhat of an adult image I did actually show them to my kids. We've talked about gun safety and we continue to talk about it every time we handle firearms, but I saw these images as a good way to show the type of damage they can do when the person is actually lucky. These images opened up more dialog between them and us (my wife and I) and that's a positive out of something that was/is negative.

Bullshop Junior - Thank you for sharing your story in another thread as I used that as a lesson that also brought up discussions with the kids.

Thanks.
Dave

.45Cole
05-22-2014, 03:05 AM
My mother works at a hospital and this kind of thing happens every once in a while.

oldred-what does a guy have to do to get out of school there, he could have at least pleaded for 2 days.

facetious
05-22-2014, 04:14 AM
This comes under the heading of what I call Rule #1. "There is nothing so bad that you aren't glad that it happened to some one else."

JesterGrin_1
05-22-2014, 04:57 AM
Although this is Old as mentioned 2009 or before things like this should be brought up now and then to remind people to be careful. As something like this is Minor when you consider what could have happened.