PDA

View Full Version : Approx value of old lyman rifle

Tackleberry41
05-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Bought an old lyman rifle at an auction. Sent of an email to Lyman for info on it. 70s era, 54 cal, all brass hardware incl the ram rod, and patch box. Monte carlo stock. Supposed to be a 1-48 twist rifle, they werent to specific about the model. In really good shape, doesnt look like it was used much.

missionary5155
05-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Good morning
Without photos it will be a certain "shot in the dark" .
If it has a two digit serial # or was a "personal rifle" of someone famous then it would have some interesting value to a select group of collectors. Origonal box with papers would also add to the value.
Mike in Peru

MadHamster
05-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Double set trigger or "regular" one? Also is it a flintlock or a caplock rifle? This would help the guys here give you a more accurate estimate.

Tackleberry41
05-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Side lock percussion, double set trigger, no box or anything, got it at a police auction, seized. Adjustable rear sight. 105376

missionary5155
05-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Greetings Tackle...
Was it owned by a notorious villan ?
I would go to Gunbroker and watch a couple that are the same as yours go through the auctions. You will get the real picture what buyers are paying today.
Remember 60 days before hunting season is when rifles have a better value generally. This is how I guage real value on todays market.. not what sellers ask but what people will pay.
Mike in Peru

mooman76
05-19-2014, 12:47 PM
The value varies allot depending on where you are at. Some areas they are getting harder to come by and some places they are common and cheap. Just a guess but somewhere in the $200-350 range. Your attachement didn't work for me.

Tackleberry41
05-19-2014, 01:24 PM
105393 Not sure why the attach is being weird today. Notorious, who knows. Local police auction, probably some meth head had it in a closet, they took it along with everything else. Grandpas gun, as it was well taken care of, usually see them full of rust.

I found a pistol I want to buy, and well money has to come from somewhere. Have a side lock 50, and inline 50 I barely use. So sell it to buy something else. Have a friend asking a guy in a muzzle loading club if anybody is interested, seems like it would be worth more.

bubba.50
05-19-2014, 03:45 PM
it's an early lyman "plains rifle" not to be confused with their Great Plains rifle. it was one of their earlier copies of the TC hawken. value would be along the lines of the various Investarms hawkens sold by lyman, cabelas & others.

Tackleberry41
05-19-2014, 04:51 PM
So a farmed out Lyman, guess everybody does it.

oldracer
05-19-2014, 06:42 PM
A rifle, especially a muzzle loader is in the eye of the beholder. As previously noted if it can be proven to be owned by someone famous such as that Mr Heston or Buffalo Bill then it will be worth a bunch. As an example, I have three hand made Hawken style fifle made by Doug Knoell and one has CVA barrel #000099 on it and a matching one, #000098 was made for the CVA owner so it has a bit of that famous about it. But when I mention Doug's name, many shooters in the San Diego area don't know who he is?!

Tackleberry41
05-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Nothing wrong with it. Its way nicer than my other one. But not really a lyman, I see Lyman gets some decent money for one of theirs, not so much for a name stamped one. Wonder if they charged a premium price for it back then, while the pretty much same Cabelas sold for less, since it wasnt a lyman.