PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 hollow points

jwhite
01-10-2008, 11:42 PM
After making up a hollow pointing jig I figured it was time to test a few out and see how they worked. The first ones to be tested were some Laser Cast 115gr boolit my father in law said did not shoot good. After looking them over I wondered if a gas check would crimp onto the bevel base, tried it and it worked like a champ, the GC's locked right on tight. I then loaded some with 11.5gr of BlueDot which should be right around 1750-1800fps and fired them into some old spruce logs, both hollow pointed and plain, as can be seen in the pictures the hollow point version expanded quite a bit compared to the plain boolits, they also only penetrated half the distance. After playing with the store bought bullets I tried my ACWW 165 gr LBT's out, these were fired at 1950fps into same spruce logs, the plain point boolit went over a foot and mushroomed into the classic bullet shape, the hollow pointed version of the same boolit flattened out clear back to the gas check and penetrated only about 5 inches leaving a lot of lead behind through the wood.

MT Gianni
01-11-2008, 12:35 AM
That will put the thump on small game. Gianni