PDA

View Full Version : Redding oil dampened scale

Alvarez Kelly
05-19-2014, 12:54 AM
I have a real nice wrinkle brown painted Redding oil dampened beam scale in great condition... but it's missing the pan and pan hanger. It has a silver colored beam. I saw some models had a brass beam. Anyway...

Does anyone know who can service this scale? I'd like to either get it functional again, or pass it on to someone who could use it for parts.

waltherboy4040
05-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Are you talking about the 325 grain one? Think someone said either the hanger or the pan was available but not both, its a good scale if you can fix it I use all the time.

Alvarez Kelly
05-19-2014, 01:11 AM
Well, looking at the beam markings, I would say it is a 325 grain scale.

waltherboy4040
05-19-2014, 01:24 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232549-Redding-1-Scale-zeroing

Does it look like this? You probably could get a different pan and hanger and re zero it. I could also weigh my pan and hanger if you want to try and match one up so you might not have to re zero it.

Pressman
05-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Redding has been selling that scale since 1951 so there should be parts available.
A pan and hanger from Redding, Herters and several others will work.
The very early scales had brass beams, chrome plating came along in 1953.
Ken

seagiant
05-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Hi Brian,
Is it like the brown one here? Midway has pans I think?

Le Loup Solitaire
05-19-2014, 10:28 PM
A pan and hanger replacement that is/was made for the scale is the most desirable as it is in the proper weight range. If this is not at all possible something similar must be used...and can be used successfully IF you calibrate or re-calibrate for the weight difference that will exist. In the case of the brown scale you can move the weight calibration nut(s) on the end of the beam...this will compensate for what you need. You can substitute a heavier nut or thin one of the existing ones. Using s small loop of solder can also help. But what is essential is a set of check-weights that will show what is going on in terms of calibrating the scale. A set can be bought (pricey) or you can make your own using coins or pieces of copper wire....in either case you have to have whatever you are using-weighed and calibrated (and marked so you know what you are doing). A school lab scale or a pharmacists scale will do that. If you are using the green version of the Redding, the solution is pretty much the same except you do not have the calibration nuts on the end of the beam so any weight addition or subtraction has to be done on the hangar and or the pan. Addition is easier, but removing metal is a bit more tricky. Again in compensating for any weight differences in the replacement parts (if they are not original) you have to have a weight check set as described above so you can rely safely on the finished scale to zero consistently and accurately and also weigh powder and bullets the same way. LLS

Alvarez Kelly
05-19-2014, 11:55 PM
Hi Brian,
Is it like the brown one here? Midway has pans I think?

Mine looks a lot like that, only with a silver beam.

Anyone have a pan and/or hanger they can sell/trade me?

ozarkhillbilly49
05-20-2014, 12:59 AM
drop me a line. i have a whole scale i mite part with. best wishes

Alvarez Kelly
05-20-2014, 02:28 AM
drop me a line. i have a whole scale i mite part with. best wishes

I really don't want a whole scale. Then I'd still have a scale I needed parts for. :-)

Wayne Smith
05-20-2014, 07:57 AM
It looks as if the scale in front in the pic uses the scale pan like RCBS/Lyman that has a hollow base and you add or subtract shot pellets to balance it. If yours is like that get an RCBS pan, unscrew the bottom, and use it once you have balanced it with the appropriate amount of shot for your scale.

barrabruce
05-20-2014, 08:43 AM
I replaced the shot in my pan with some wound up solder.
Lot easier than keeping those slippery balls in there when assembling.

mdi
05-20-2014, 11:19 AM
I believe there's only a couple different pans made for beam scales. I have 4 older beam scales, one has the shot cup in the pan (RCBS?), and three with stamped aluminum pans. I would check around and get a "universal" pan and wire hanger and use the "zeroing/calibration nuts" on the end of the beam. I just got one of the older Redding beam scales, dark read/brown crinkle paint and filled the reservoir with 50 wt. motor oil. Works great...

Pressman
05-20-2014, 08:18 PM
the wire is #6 aluminum. I picked up a huge chunk from a power line project a few years ago. I don't have any spares, actually I need a pan or two. Getting the wire to the correct length is tricky as it greatly effects zero. Herter's scale pans are identical.
Ken

Alvarez Kelly
05-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info Ken.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this scale. It is in such nice condition it just makes me sick that it may never be used again.

mdi
05-21-2014, 05:59 PM
No need to give up! Here's a pan for around $10.00. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/516960/redding-powder-pan-for-2-master-magnetic-powder-scale
And a hanger to go with it
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/137301/redding-pan-hook-for-1-master-powder-and-bullet-scale

Spruce
05-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Anyone interested in looking at these fine older scales, several on fleabay in very nice condition. Some has box like new, marked 14.00. Nice.

Rory McCanuck
05-21-2014, 09:24 PM
If it's of any help, the pan and hanger on mine weigh 148.6 grains.
Maybe one of those plastic pans with the built in funnel, and a length of 10ga copper wire?

rbstern
05-22-2014, 01:37 AM
I have that Redding scale. If I remember correctly (it's been a number of years), I rigged/cobbled together a pan for it and re-zeroed with the balance nuts. It's a great scale. Not fancy, but works every time.

05-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Yes, get that scales working again. They are good accurate sensitive scales and much undervalued. I you just want it as a working scale then, as has been suggested, one of the aftermarket plastic pan/funnels would be my choice, they're good to use and readily available. The wire loop can easily be fashioned out of copper or aluminium wire or even a wire coathanger but you will need to make a platform arrangement for the pan to stand on like the Redding No 2 (Green scale).

As a matter of interest I made a small run of replacement pan kits a while ago, unfortunately I don't have any left now but I may get round to doing another small batch eventually.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/allan1066/th_mail2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/allan1066/media/mail2.jpg.html)

Alvarez Kelly
05-24-2014, 06:27 PM
No need to give up! Here's a pan for around $10.00. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/516960/redding-powder-pan-for-2-master-magnetic-powder-scale
And a hanger to go with it
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/137301/redding-pan-hook-for-1-master-powder-and-bullet-scale

Thanks! I think these will do the job nicely.

seagiant
05-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks! I think these will do the job nicely.

Hi Brian,
Look at post #6 !:smile:

Poygan
05-24-2014, 08:28 PM
I bought a Redding scale like yours around 1966 and am still using it. I acquired a RCBS 505 some time back and checked it against the Redding. They were within .1 grain of each other. The RCBS in in a box and I still use the Redding. I'm used to it and see no reason to change.

Alvarez Kelly
05-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Hi Brian,
Look at post #6 !:smile:

Yeh... well... sometimes I'm slow. :-P