PDA

View Full Version : 22 swaging and lyman spartan

Littlewolf
05-19-2014, 12:16 AM
can lyman Spartan presses be used for swaging 22 caliber j-words from rimfire brass

MOcaster
05-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Swaging 22s doesn't take much force except for de-rimming. Is the press strong enough? Probably. Does it have enough leverage? Probably not, depends on how strong you are. Would I use one? No. I'm not strong enough and I don't feel like the die will stay centered with the ram, unlike stronger O presses. Just my $.02.

DukeInFlorida
05-19-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm guessing that you are afraid to make an investment in a suitable press for the swaging operation, and maybe have found a super cheap deal on this Lyman Spartan press.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

If you get a proper press, it should be strong enough for both swaging and reloading. I recently did a reloading class for two students, and needed my RCBS Rockchucker press converted back into a reloading press. Changeover back to the reloading configuration took less than 5 minutes, and nothing I did during any of my swaging operations (1,000's of bullets swaged!) did anything to either hurt the press or keep it from being converted back for it's original purpose.

So, my advice would be to choose a press that's designed for strength, and can be quickly adapted for swaging and reloading. That way you can have a strong press that will last you many years, and can be used for reloading or for swaging. Also, think of the investment in tools and a press in the same way. Buy the best you can afford for long life, and happy swaging. Nothing more frustrating than to go cheap on something, and have it fail quickly. Buying ONCE is usually the cheapest way to buy.

Happy swaging!

can lyman Spartan presses be used for swaging 22 caliber j-words from rimfire brass

tiger762
05-20-2014, 04:38 PM
You'll find yourself adjusting the derim die up and down. You'd start with the die turned out a few turns, derim a little, pull the ram out, screw the die in a little, derim some more, pull the ram out, turn the die in the rest of the way, finish derimming that one piece of brass. It is not worth it.

Get a Walnut Hill (RCECO) and call it a day.

05-20-2014, 04:56 PM
rock chuckers work well