PDA

View Full Version : Star with gas checks problem

WaterRat
05-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Anyone here use a Star lube sizer with gas checks in 30 cal? A friend of mine is having problems getting his to work correctly. He said something about the punch not wanting to work with gas checks something about it wouldn't pass thru. I think he said he bought it used. I know nothing about sizing cast bullets so please excuse me if I sound like a idiot LOL
My friend is a older retired school teacher and has experience with Lee, Lyman and RCBS lube sizers but says the Star is a different creature. He does not mess with the computer and he asked me if I could get some info or possibly someone that would be willing talk to him on the phone. I don't know if it makes any difference but his bullets are used for light loads in the old 7.5 Swiss military rifles
Thanks!

CPL Lou
05-19-2014, 02:45 AM
I seat my gas checks first, then run them through the sizing die.
Lathesmith can make a 'fitted' punch so that the gas check is fully supported while going through the die.
Hope this helps !

CPL Lou

gtgeorge
05-19-2014, 04:47 AM
I just lay the check on the base after inserting the bullet in the die and they seat fine 99.9% of the time. It would seem if ca do it with others he could do it with the Star. I am using Hornady checks and a lathesmith punch and die.

What checks? I am wondering if something is wrong with the die if the check is not going through as in bigger than the taper?

WaterRat
05-19-2014, 05:23 AM
There are so many things that I don't know about whats going on is really why we were hoping he could talk to someone in the know. I met him at the range and we have become good friends at the range but I have never been to his house. I get the feeling he is very picky on who he invites over and I totally understand that because to a certain degree I'm the same way. I'm just wondering if on all lube sizers if the bullet goes in nose first? If not then that could be the problem if he is going in base first. He tried to explain it to me but being I didn't really have a clue about what he was talking about being I have never been around lubing and sizing cast bullets it was hard for me to really follow what he was saying.

I just lay the check on the base after inserting the bullet in the die and they seat fine 99.9% of the time. It would seem if ca do it with others he could do it with the Star. I am using Hornady checks and a lathesmith punch and die.

What checks? I am wondering if something is wrong with the die if the check is not going through as in bigger than the taper?

WaterRat
05-19-2014, 05:27 AM
If the punch ends up being the problem do you have any idea about how much Lathesmith charges to make one?

I seat my gas checks first, then run them through the sizing die.
Lathesmith can make a 'fitted' punch so that the gas check is fully supported while going through the die.
Hope this helps !

CPL Lou

Beagle333
05-19-2014, 05:32 AM
Of course, I also offer punches for the Star; these run $15 each for the flat punch, and $17 each for the dished style that is popular with gas checks. I don't recommend using a dished punch with plain-base bullets, as you can get an unacceptable amount of base distortion.

See the first sticky at the top of this section of the forum. :D
(Star dies that I make)by Lathesmith

gtgeorge
05-19-2014, 08:22 AM
The Star goes in nose first and so does Lee. I believe most others are base first. If the check is not sitting on the back of the bullet right it would be very easy to mash the check off center and force through the die.

Here is Lathesmith's post: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62874-Lathesmith-s-Star-dieshttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62874-Lathesmith-s-Star-dies

danomano
05-19-2014, 09:46 AM
I run mine trough base first on my Star, so the gas check crimps on. works pretty darn good. I am even putting the gas checks on a plain base mold .401 175gr. I think I got over sized checks from Sage Outdoors for this.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Chris (lathesmith) is the answer to your friends problem. Have your friend contact him. His prices are very reasonable and the quality is above par. I just posted about him and his fine work in the general casting equipment forum. Hopefully they haven't moved it. His tooling is a pleasure to use and just plain feels good in the hand.

bbqncigars
05-20-2014, 09:08 PM
I found out quickly that a dished punch was necessary to seat the Gator checks on my 850gr boolits. They came out cupped with a flat punch, but nice an flush with a punch that only hit the perimeter. The flat punch just didn't snug the checks to the bases as well.

WaterRat
05-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks guys! I think I have him hooked up with lathesmith and I think they will get him on track