PDA

View Full Version : Tool List Help

JoeStreet
05-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Hello everyone,

I am trying to put together a business plan for a gunsmithing business. I’m trying to find a tool list that would include the all of tools that I would need. I intend to provide a fair amount of services ranging from repair to bluing and other types of finishes. I’ve spent a bunch of time on Brownell’s site and I’ve searched for “Starter Tool Sets” and while they have some available they don’t appear to be very inclusive, not being critical but I am trying to build an all-inclusive list so that I can fully capture all of my startup cost. I’m hoping to include things like a mill and a lathe as well as all of the essential hand tools. If anyone knows where I can find such a list or have ideas regarding tools that need to be on the list I’d be very grateful for the help.

Thank you very much, Joe S.

woodsxdragon
05-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Most of the basic gunsmith books have a suggestion of tools to start you out. punches, files, screwdrivers, hammers, etc. one thing you might look at since you mentioned mill/lathe is too look for machinist tools and then add gun specific tools in as needed.

JoeStreet
05-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Woodsxdragon,

Thank you very much for your help :-)

wv109323
05-19-2014, 11:51 PM
I don't know if there is an answer to your question. I think you will need to limit your start-up to specific jobs or specific firearms. I don't think you could capture all the tools you would need over a gunsmithing career in one list. If you are going to work on AR-15's you would never need stock checkering tools. Many gunsmiths make their own jigs and fixtures to do specific jobs as they progress through their careers..
There are many firearm specific tools that you may only use one time and it would not be feasible to buy. I would be cautious to incur a huge start-up cost for a new business.

Whiterabbit
05-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Hello everyone,

I am trying to put together a business plan for a gunsmithing business. I’m trying to find a tool list that would include the all of tools that I would need. I intend to provide a fair amount of services ranging from repair to bluing and other types of finishes. I’ve spent a bunch of time on Brownell’s site and I’ve searched for “Starter Tool Sets” and while they have some available they don’t appear to be very inclusive, not being critical but I am trying to build an all-inclusive list so that I can fully capture all of my startup cost. I’m hoping to include things like a mill and a lathe as well as all of the essential hand tools. If anyone knows where I can find such a list or have ideas regarding tools that need to be on the list I’d be very grateful for the help.

Thank you very much, Joe S.

I will assume you want a successful business plan. In that case, I suggest, in light of what I bolded, that you ask the gunsmith you intend on hiring the answers to these questions. If he cannot answer them off the top of his head and quickly, hire a different gunsmith.

Just my two cents, for what it is worth.

lefty o
05-20-2014, 01:07 AM
a good sized work bench with a carpeted top (keeps pins and springs from rolling away), a good barrel vice, and sturdy action wrench.

John Taylor
05-20-2014, 08:58 AM
The tool list can very greatly and is added to as needed. Not all gunsmith shops need a lathe and mill or a rifling machine. I have seen some gunsmiths do fine work with a good screw driver set and files/ stones. If the gunsmith plans to work on every type of gun out there the list can go on and on. If you plan on doing rebarrels the list of reamers can go way up and at about $150 each can be quite spendy. It is not uncommon for a shop to have $20,000 tied up in reamers. Also needed for rebarrels is a good lathe and mill, add another $10,000+, and the tooling to use them, + another few thousand. A tig welder comes in handy but a stick welder has no place for gun work except in making tools like a good barrel vice. Many of the tools a gunsmith will use are made by the gunsmith to fit special needs as he comes across them. Before you get into bluing you need to check your local laws. It took a friend of mine over a year of red tape before he could fire up his bluing tanks. An Ox/Acc torch is a plus and comes in handy for many things. A heat treat oven would be nice to have, can be used for color case and making special cutters for the mill. The list can go on and on and may never have an end. When looking for a lathe make sure it is big enough for the work you plan on doing and has a large enough spindle hole ( several companies have gunsmith lathes). If you ever plan on making an octagon barrel the mill needs to have enough travel on the table plus you will need an indexer.
The most important part is having the talent for doing this type of work. Not everyone has the same talents, some make good doctors or nurses and some are good at paper work or speaking in public and some have a mind that can grasp mechanical things. As an artist can visualize a painting before it is finished a gunsmith can sometimes visualize a special tool for a job and then make it without having a set of plans.

Ed K
05-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Probably good to define your scope of work first; develop tool list after.

Nobade
05-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Just a suggestion - check out the tool lists published by the various gunsmithing colleges. I don't know about all of them, but I do know Trinidad has a pretty good list of both tools and books. And of course as mentioned above, decide what you want to do first. The fastest way to burn through money and go out of business in gunsmithing is trying to be everything to everybody. It seems appealing - help people out with their problems. But it is a guaranteed way to fail also.

-Nobade

markinalpine
05-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the board! [smilie=s:

Take some time and watch the video referenced here (it's about an hour long): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lui6uNPcRPA
and be humble.
If it gets taken down again, search You Tube for Gunsmith of Williamsburg
Mark

gunshot98
05-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Read Gunsmithing by Roy Dunlap. Dad made me do this before anything was done.

gunshot98
05-23-2014, 10:03 PM
I am humbled buy the video.That was truly a master at work. Thanks for the link.

JoeStreet
05-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Watched the video (twice) and was awed by Mr. Gusslers ability. Pretty incredible all of the skills that he has mastered. I'd be content if I was just good at one :-) Thanks everyone for all of the comments, they have caused me to think a fair amount.

sdalcher
05-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Start with a good quality screwdriver set. Brownells sells a great set reasonably priced. I can't tell you how many thousands of gun screws I have seen that were goobered up by some idiot with an improper size screw driver.

Earlier suggestion was to buy gun specific tooling as you learn and gain experience. This is great advice! But tools you will need are a good set of steel punches and brass punches, small set of Swiss files, small bernzomatic torch is really handy, assortment of different grit sand papers and rolls of emery cloth, small brass hammer, good quality one piece cleaning rod, vice win brass jaws and leather jaws, jewelers saw, and some plastic bench blocks. I also use a piece of glass for sanding base for flats

FLHTC
06-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Find several good tool suppliers and buy the tools needed for the jobs you take on. There isn't any sense in spending money on tools, that you don't have the work to use them on. Grainger is a good place to start. You can download their machining tool catalog and drool.

doc1876
06-11-2014, 11:22 AM
welcome aboard, you are going to like these guys, they are always willing to help. (give their 2c worth).
OK, so you might find that many gunsmiths make a lot of their own tools, they become special needs issues, and so as time goes on, this is what will happen to you if you are indeed serious about this endeavor. I guess what I am saying is similar to what has been said, when you decide what nook you are going to fill in the gunsmith world, that will define what tools you will need, because there is no way even a Donald Trump can afford all or even most of the necessary tools for an absolute complete shop.

plus1hdcp
06-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the board! [smilie=s:

Take some time and watch the video referenced here (it's about an hour long): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lui6uNPcRPA
and be humble.
If it gets taken down again, search You Tube for Gunsmith of Williamsburg
Mark

WOW! I am sold and want one. Incredible craftsmanship.