PDA

View Full Version : Redding #2 powder scale opinions

Animal
05-18-2014, 09:32 PM
I've ordered my first non-digital scale today. I have been wanting to keep my reloading as simple as possible, which means no electricity. I chose this one because it seemed to have good reviews. Unfortunately, scales seem to be one of those tools that can really irritate one person but not another, so none of the scales by any manufacturer had excellent reviews. But, 3.9 out of 40 reviews seemed real consistent.

I only load for handguns right now (some magnum), and would like to load for rifle sometime soon. It looked like this scale was up to handling those weights. I'm not shooting for any type of competitions, I just want to continue making consistent ammo. Besides, I didn't want to start loading for rifles with my cheap scale (although it has done well for my needs thus far).

Would anyone be willing to let me know how this scale has worked out for them? thanks

seagiant
05-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Hi,
Here is a pic of my two Redding scales and they are both excellent! Check your "0" and you are good to go!

Animal
05-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Cool!:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Le Loup Solitaire
05-18-2014, 11:06 PM
I have the earlier version...in fact I have two of them for at least 4 decades and have used only them. I have never used the oil damper feature. Both have been consistently very accurate since day one. I originally bought a set of Lyman calibrated weights that I use every now and then just to see if the scales are still on and they have never wandered at all. I see no need to get involved in a digital scale, or any other way of checking these two scales that I have. I am told that the larger/newer scale in Seagiant's picture is also a most outstanding unit for weighing powder and bullets and it has a system of magnetic dampening, but based on the performance of the two "old soldiers" that I have been using for most of my life, I don't really see a need to get one of those either. In sum, the units shown are extremely well made and accurate to the max. I keep both of mine in bubble wrap and in a wooden box. I highly recommend them. LLS

Animal
05-27-2014, 09:29 PM
So far I've loaded 50 rounds with my new Redding #2. It has been a real joy. It has a few quirks, just like any tool of exacting measurement, but I feel comfortable enough to leave the old scale on the shelf.

It does exactly what it is supposed to do, and it allows me to see extremely light changes in weight that my Frankfort Arsenal scale wouldn't show.

When comparing the two scales with the same charge, I noticed that my digital scale tends to round down when it should round up and round up when it should round down. This is just unacceptable, and I supposed I've been living in an oblivious bliss because some of my rounds do tend to push the pressure envelope. I'm glad I made this purchase. I'll be loading for rifles real soon and don't want to deal with an accident from a cheap scale.

I do wish the scale had a heavier base, but this is easily remedied by placing a 3lb lead ingot on the base.

After weighing 50 charges of some fussy Red Dot, I'm happy.

mdi
05-28-2014, 12:49 PM
The Redding scales are an older tried and true design that, if cared for, will last a lot longer than you ;-) I recently bought an older one and it compares quit well to my 3 other beam scales and my digital...

gwpercle
05-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Nothing wrong at all with a Redding #2, I started with a #1 ( oil dampened) The magnet dampened #2 is easier to use. All scales have their operational quirks. Mine liked to have the beam touched to get it going...you'll get the hang of operation. The Redding design is time proven and those were well made.
Gary

'74 sharps
05-31-2014, 07:10 AM
+1 for the Redding. Can't beat gravity...........

05-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Another thumbs up for the Redding No2. I have a couple of the magnetically damped No 2's and also a couple of the oil damped No 1's. The No 2 is just a simple, honest scale with no frills. It's a two poise scale with a clearly marked beam.

The level adjusting screw is a little crude, being little more than a bolt through the base and although added weight doesn't make it any more accurate it certainly makes it feel more substantial.

As with other current beam scales the quality seems to be taking a nosedive and corners cut where they can. The current Redding No 2 looks just about the same as one made 5 or 10 years ago but with a closer look you will see the scale in no longer etched into the beam but is now just a printed tape stuck on the beam.

AbitNutz
06-01-2014, 12:05 PM
There's a guy that does almost magical work with reloading scales by the name of Scott Parker. He is about the only person on earth that can calibrate a balance beam scale now a days.
Here's a good read on his work: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/scott-parker/

The short end of this is that Scott Sells Redding No-2 scales that he's worked on....he doesn't sell any others. He told me that if you're dealing with very small powder charges that Reading was the way to go....so I did.