PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Guard Repair Help

gchapman1965
05-18-2014, 01:17 PM
I have a Revelation 99 revolver that has a cracked trigger guard. On this model the trigger guard houses the trigger group. When the revolver is completely assembled the hammer will not reset without assistance. When I remove the pin that holds the frame and the trigger guard together it works perfectly. I believe that when the pin is inserted it causes the crack to separate and put things into a bind. Anyone have any suggestions on how to repair this? From what I can tell this is cast pot metal. I know it's not worth much, but I'd like to repair it if it's possible.

woodsxdragon
05-19-2014, 10:45 AM
if it's pot metal either some sort of epoxy or a low temp solder. and i mean really low temp. like this: http://muggyweld.com/pot-metal-repair

country gent
05-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Check gun parts corp in wet hurley New York they may have a used one. Just replace it.

gchapman1965
05-19-2014, 07:04 PM
woodsxdragon: I saw muggyweld after I made the post. I've never seen it before, but it sounds like it might work. Have you ever used it?

country gent: That's the first place I checked. They didn't have one.

Would anyone here have some of this stuff and be interested in a small job?

woodsxdragon
05-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Have not personally. I asked one of the maintamce guys that welds and he suggested it. He had not used it just was aware of it.

pietro
05-19-2014, 09:12 PM

I would clamp the gripframe so the crack is closed, then drill a small hole on each side of the crack, but about 1/8" away from the edges of the crack.

I would then fashion a steel staple from wire the same diameter as the holes, to straddle the crack - recessing the staple if needed to install the gripframe into the cylinder frame.

largom
05-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Can't see the top of the guard but if you could drill a small hole at an angle through the crack in the center. I would then grind the fluted end of the drill bit off and use the shank end for a pin to go into the hole. Clamp the frame so the crack is closed when you drill the hole. Put some high strength epoxy into the crack and a little on your pin. With the frame clamped again install the pin and wait for the epoxy to cure.
I might add that the fast set up epoxy is the weakest. The longer it takes to cure the greater the strength.

Larry

gchapman1965
05-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Not sure how I'll proceed, but I have a few options.

Thanks,

Greg

mac60
05-21-2014, 11:41 PM
GPC isn't the only place that sells gun parts. My feelings are that no matter what you try - as far as a repair to that, you won't be happy. I'd give this outfit a call. Maybe they can help - maybe not.

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/order.php

I'd do an exhaustive search before I gave up on it though.

gchapman1965
05-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call today!!

gunshot98
05-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Google Outbackgunparts also. Some really nice guys there too.

Joe504
05-22-2014, 11:25 PM
I have bought parts from Jack First (spring for my Tec22). Good service and a fair price.