PDA

View Full Version : WHAT spider is this...?

PatMarlin
05-18-2014, 12:10 PM
I've sucked up 2 of these guys the past week with the Vacuum and now found him in the sink this morning.

Anyone have any idea on what this guy is? The green fangs really freak me out.. :mrgreen:

He's furry like a tarantula... :shock:

http://www.patmarlins.com/1spider.jpg

Our lives in danger? ...:mrgreen:

azrednek
05-18-2014, 12:13 PM
The green eyes give it away, it is Sarah Brady!!

PatMarlin
05-18-2014, 12:15 PM
I am so screwed.

Wickyd
05-18-2014, 12:16 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phidippus_audax
This looks like it
Jumping spider
Darrell

WILCO
05-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Phidippus Aduax or Daring Jumping Spider: http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/daring_jumping_spider.htm

PatMarlin
05-18-2014, 12:19 PM
He can't jump out of the sink... Hahahaaa

Well at least the predator list doesn't include patmarlin.

fastfire
05-18-2014, 01:28 PM
We don't have the green fangs jumping ones here but ones like it.
Let them crawl on your hand then to your finger and you can get them to jump to other objects or your other hand.
Never even tried to bite me.
Did this when I was a kid.

reloader28
05-18-2014, 01:33 PM
What difference does it make???
Just squish them all.;)

starmac
05-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Reloader has the right answer. Me thinks he is a bonafied spider expert.

Skipper
05-18-2014, 01:40 PM

w5pv
05-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Agree with reloader28 just like snakes and other vermin squash them.

Bullshop Junior
05-18-2014, 01:56 PM
We have those everywhere here. Had one about a inch and a quarter around eating a moth on the front door the other day.

DLCTEX
05-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Why squish something that is only beneficial? Those things eat the bugs that bug me. I also do not harm non poisonous snakes for the same reason. They help control rats and mice.

wallenba
05-18-2014, 02:15 PM
I guess I'm weird. I like spiders and don't kill them. I'll kill other bugs I find in the house, but not spiders. I put a clear plastic cup over them and slide a piece of paper under, and toss them outside. I had one in the garage last year next to where I cast. I watched it once scramble down and 'lasso' a beetle by the back leg. It kept wrapping up the leg, then hoisted it up into the web. Very entertaining.

Mod42
05-18-2014, 02:57 PM
What difference does it make???
Just squish them all.;)

I'm pretty sure that the Taurus Judge was made for dispatching spiders, anything smaller than #9 shot and the wife probably will not even see the holes!

rondog
05-18-2014, 03:17 PM
In my territory that would be a FLAT spider!

popper
05-18-2014, 03:17 PM
I think the report stated that now matter where you are, a spider is within 5 ft of you. They're are wafting from the tree now here.

bangerjim
05-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Live & let live. Just put it outside. We have various breeds of jumpers around here. Not easy to catch! I used to be deathly afraid of spiders when young. Now the only time I dispatch them is when they are near my food! Gots ta have ma food!

banger
............"If it crawls or slinks or creeps....chances are it lives in the SW Desert!"

a.squibload
05-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Could be worse, tend to get black widows around here.
Nice alcohol bath keeps 'em clean.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ms5lUzqKiFU/U3kKR2SxdeI/AAAAAAAAA04/OZXrikgvZz0/w640-h480-no/DSCF0005.JPG

Alcohol in a squirt bottle is pretty good but big spiders take a while to keel over.
Brake cleaner kills bugs DRT but can mess up the coloration (if you're gonna keep 'em).

Charley
05-18-2014, 03:45 PM
One of the jumping spider family, related to tarantulas. Not venomous, but they can/will bite as a defensive measure. Slip a piece of paper under it to pick it up, and throw it outside. Beneficial, great hunters.

drinks
05-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Purty, one of the good spiders.
The general class is considered the wolf spider family as they actively hunt eats, including roaches, flies and mosquitoes.

xacex
05-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Once and a while I find black widows here in the Willamette valley in Oregon. When I moved here I had no idea they made it in this cold of weather. The hourglass is a little different than the ones I have seen in souther california. Seems to be a disconnected hourglass top and bottom vs a well defined hourglass. I don't mind spiders. We get some great big woods spiders here, and found a few tarantulas in our house in california. I just put them outside and let them do their thing. I would rather have a spider in the house or outside than flies buzzing everywhere.

starmac
05-18-2014, 03:58 PM
I hate spiders, and would as soon have a rattlesnake in the house as a tarantula. lol

MOcaster
05-18-2014, 04:24 PM
I think the report stated that now matter where you are, a spider is within 5 ft of you. They're are wafting from the tree now here.

Now, did you really have to say that? Ignorance is bliss in this situation.

Bullshop Junior
05-18-2014, 04:27 PM

As I read this I looked up and....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/19/u6u5ajuj.jpg

BDJ
05-18-2014, 06:31 PM
How not to catch a spider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU&list=PL0A8051F36A237A43

Charley
05-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Wolf spiders are generally tan/light brown, with black markings. Also have no or very short hairs, not visible to the naked eye. Jumping spiders are hairy, and generally have the reflective eyes. Both free roaming hunters, are not web builders.

azrednek
05-18-2014, 06:52 PM
We don't have the green fangs jumping ones here but ones like it.
Let them crawl on your hand then to your finger and you can get them to jump to other objects or your other hand.
Never even tried to bite me.
Did this when I was a kid.

I used to play with spiders when I was a kid until I picked one up one day that wasn't in a playful mood. it has been squash immediately ever since. My X got nailed by a Black Widow. She had a severe allergic reaction and wound up with an over night stay in the hospital.

I found this on my kitchen floor the day after Christmas. I got up about 3 AM for a cold drink. Being barefoot I surprised myself how far I could make my half crippled body jump. The is what was left after I beat it to death with a boot.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/9adc9245-b69f-477d-bb02-b4edf5516893_zps367d8ca6.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/dnisbet/media/9adc9245-b69f-477d-bb02-b4edf5516893_zps367d8ca6.jpg.html)

OnceFired
05-18-2014, 07:22 PM
My wife and I were driving around looking at properties in the country today. She got out to snag a flyer, and a dime-to-nickel sized jumping spider came along for the ride. He must've been on the underside of the paper, because she didn't see the little guy until she was halfway into the car. She jumped and nearly ended up in my lap across the center console. Poor little dude earned a trip to SmashVille cause he was trying to hide in the car. NOT gonna happen that way with wifey as the target.

Bullshop Junior
05-18-2014, 07:56 PM
I used to play with spiders when I was a kid until I picked one up one day that wasn't in a playful mood. it has been squash immediately ever since. My X got nailed by a Black Widow. She had a severe allergic reaction and wound up with an over night stay in the hospital.

I found this on my kitchen floor the day after Christmas. I got up about 3 AM for a cold drink. Being barefoot I surprised myself how far I could make my half crippled body jump. The is what was left after I beat it to death with a boot.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/9adc9245-b69f-477d-bb02-b4edf5516893_zps367d8ca6.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/dnisbet/media/9adc9245-b69f-477d-bb02-b4edf5516893_zps367d8ca6.jpg.html)

Those things are everywhere here as well. I usually execute them by beheading with my pocket knife.

Digger
05-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Oh no , they let that one out .... careful guys , that is one of the new NSA mini spiderbots .. .
they are watching you very closely Pat !! ......:2 drunk buddies:

DougGuy
05-18-2014, 08:57 PM
The OP's spider is a jumping spider. Mostly harmless but if they bite it will raise a hell of a welt.

trapper9260
05-18-2014, 09:12 PM
The OP's spider is a jumping spider. Mostly harmless but if they bite it will raise a hell of a welt.

Yes that is a jumping spider and the ones here is black and white on them very seldom see one with green

TES
05-18-2014, 09:17 PM
I've killed/caught about ten Hobos since living in my house. One was in my sons shoe and another was on my chest after waking from a nap.

Charley
05-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Yeah, the Hobo was just classed as venomous relatively recently, 10-12 years back. Black Widow, Brown Recluse and Hobos are the only venomous spiders native to the US. As for the Striped Scorpion, they are just about the safest thing to be stung by. Allergic reaction to the sting is almost unheard of. Use any search engine, and you get maybe a page of links to papers and stories. Do the same thing with allergic reaction to hymanoptra stings, and you will have a jillion pages in about .005 seconds. Hard to make people believe it, but bees, wasps and ants do kill a number of people in the US every year. Scorpions don't, but they do hurt!

TXGunNut
05-18-2014, 11:31 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phidippus_audax
This looks like it
Jumping spider
Darrell

Yep, they can really jump and they aren't scared of much. Fun to play with but I think they're harmless to humans.

TXGunNut
05-18-2014, 11:39 PM
I hate spiders, and would as soon have a rattlesnake in the house as a tarantula. lol

The spiders we call tarantulas are really a pretty laid-back, beneficial spider. In my younger days I'd pick them up and let them crawl around on my hands and arms. Don't see them much around here any more.
I've seen folks play with rattlesnakes, IMHO that's why I keep my hoes & shovels sharp and handy.

MaryB
05-19-2014, 12:20 AM
I have one of these living next to the front door, perches on the door knob at times. About 2 inches long. I just brush her off when I go in and out, it sure does keep the politicians and door to door salespeople away tho!

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs47/i/2009/243/2/4/Black_and_Yellow_Orb_Weaver_by_biomechanoid56.jpg

azrednek
05-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Hard to make people believe it, but bees, wasps and ants do kill a number of people in the US every year. Scorpions don't, but they do hurt!

I've been stung twice in my life by a Scorpion. It is very painful but the pain fades after 5 or so minutes and is usually tolerable in 10-15 minutes. The Bark Scorpion, the tiny one can make one very sick but is very rare causing death.

Growing up in the 50's I recall a neighbor die from a wasp sting. He had a bad ticker and the allergic reaction brought on a heart attack. I was pretty young and as best I recall he passed in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. If today's medical technology were available he probably would have survived.

starmac
05-19-2014, 02:41 AM
The spiders we call tarantulas are really a pretty laid-back, beneficial spider. In my younger days I'd pick them up and let them crawl around on my hands and arms. Don't see them much around here any more.
I've seen folks play with rattlesnakes, IMHO that's why I keep my hoes & shovels sharp and handy.

While this is true, and I know it is, they have the possibility of causing me to hurt myself. lol
For some reason snakes have never bothered me, the only time they have ever scared me is when I was a kid running around the woods barefooted at night and stepped on one, and another time a coachwhip flatout attacked me, I only saw it through the corner of my eye about the time it first struck, and after three hits, it was gone before I got a look to see what it was. A friend that was walking behind me got a good laugh out of that one though. lol

Charley
05-19-2014, 08:53 AM
I have one of these living next to the front door, perches on the door knob at times. About 2 inches long. I just brush her off when I go in and out, it sure does keep the politicians and door to door salespeople away tho!

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs47/i/2009/243/2/4/Black_and_Yellow_Orb_Weaver_by_biomechanoid56.jpg
Yeah, the Orb Weavers are neat spiders. Had a client years go rollout of bed in the morning, walk down the hall and turn into her kitchen to start coffee. Ran into a web in the doorway, was spitting and sputtering, the web was on her face, hair, all over. She was trying to brush it off and not hurt the Weaver, she knew what it was. The she realized that it was Halloween, got kind of freaked out. I've never seen an Orb Weaver in an occupied house, and this was the only time I've ever heard of it happening. I guess if you are going to have one in your house, Halloween is the right day for it to happen.

Pb2au
05-19-2014, 09:07 AM
We get orb weavers in our sunflower patch every year. I guess they like them a lot.
Growing up, my house was heavily wooded and we had gobs of big wolf spiders.

They were pretty fearless devils.

Cactus Farmer
05-19-2014, 09:57 AM
105378I read that if all the spiders were to vanish this instant the land surface of the earth would be 6 inches deep in other insects in 6 months. They eat a lot of bad bugs! I do kill Black Widows and Brown Recluse. They will hurt you! Tarantulas are scary but basically harmless. Like a bee sting with two holes. You have to all but want one to bite you. These jumping spiders are like pets. They kill flies and other flying vermin around here and I try to do no harm to anything that keeps the flies under control.
Rattle snakes near the house die. All others ,we have no other poison snakes, are welcome. There is a 5 foot Bull Snake that stays nearby and I have petted him on a couple occasions. I hear they eat Rattlers. He is in more danger from the non informed folks than me or my wife.

He is a big boy!

jmorris
05-19-2014, 10:35 AM
With the exception of the Brown Recluse and Black Widow spiders around here I don't mess with them and let them eat the bugs I like even less than spiders.

Did have a "cage fight" with a scorpion vs black widow in a jar once. Claws seem to be quite an advantage.

Charley
05-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Brown Recluse bites vary widely. Worst case can be bad, lots of necrotic tissue, lots of badly damaged tissue, nasty stuff. OTOH, I've seen bites with the classic black mark inside a red swollen area, and that is it. Two days later, there is no sign of a bite. Depends on the individual, their immune system, overall health, circulatory system, and a bunch of other factors. Then the spider itself...male, female, how much venom was injected in the bite, when did it last eat, when did it last bite, and so on.
Much of the original work on Brown Recluse bites was done here by a (deceased) Dr. Tom Glass. On slow news days, TV stations would send some empty headed reporterette out to interview Dr. Glass. He'd drag out his worst case photos, and the TV news guys here would milk them as much as possible. Dr. Glass' mention that all bites didn't end up like that was about 2 seconds at the end of the story.

missionary5155
05-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Howdy Wallenba
No you are not alone. I think spiders are facinating. I went to college for 1 year before the Army and that was my major.
I grew up in Riverside Mich. Got bussed to Benton Harbor for High school.
Our jumpers down here are about 1/2 inch in diameter, all grey and can hop a good 7 inches. fast little buggers !
Mike in Peru

azrednek
05-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Did have a "cage fight" with a scorpion vs black widow in a jar once. Claws seem to be quite an advantage.

I got a good spanking when I was about 9 or 10 from my mother for staging such a fight in a one gallon jar. The battle turned into a draw. They both died but the Black Widow shriveled up and died first. The web covered Scorpion a few minutes later.

Thought I was going to get another whipping when my dad got home. All he said "who won" really PO-ing my mom.

MaryB
05-19-2014, 11:20 PM
I could post a pic of a brown recluse bite on my ankle but it is kinda gross... silver dollar sized hole where I lost tissue about 1/2 inch deep. Came in a box from down south

nvbirdman
05-20-2014, 02:40 PM
"What spider is this?" Isn't that what spiderman said just before the radioactive spider bit him?

TaylorS
05-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Used to have a lil stub nose 22 I kept loaded with rat shot Fer kritrer like that boot heal is a bit cleaner though I found a camel spider in my house a few months ago didn't know they were anywhere close to the panhandle

fouronesix
05-27-2014, 05:56 AM
Ditto to leaving jumping spiders and tarantulas alone or putting outside. The jumping spiders seem to be one of the most docile types, so the ones I see in the house, I just let crawl on my finger and put them outside. I watched one catch two or three mosquitos out of midair- on Kodiak Island one time (of all places!). The black widows and recluse or any such similar looking get nuked.

3leggedturtle
05-27-2014, 11:22 PM
I pick wings off of flies and watched them and wolf spiders stalk them. Now anything that looks like a Brown Recluse gets squashed.

PatMarlin
05-28-2014, 08:53 AM
So they claim the Brown Recluse does not live in the North West, but I saw a spider outside under my sprinkler control valve box, which is wet and is in the dirt that looks an awful lot like this guy:

http://www.patmarlins.com/recluse.jpg

It has that light purple color to it. I know it's still there.

dragon813gt
05-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Orb weavers drive me nuts. I walk my dog on trails that are rarely traveled. What that means for me is a face full of webs for miles on end. They aren't dangerous but they sure do look mean. And their webs don't like to come of you easily. Brown Recluse and Black Widows are common here as well. Be glad if they aren't in your area. I always check my shoes before putting them on. Unfortunately for my job I have to stick my hands in places where you can't see all to well. Thankfully I haven't been bitten. But I've told people they need to get an exterminator in if they want me to work in their crawl spaces. Lowering yourself into one and finding black widows is no fun.

mikeym1a
05-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Some of the Recluse bites are really bad. A friend grabbed an old coat he had hanging on a hook in the closet one cool fall day, and put it on, and a recluse that had taken up residence bit him on the arm. He very nearly lost the arm. I guess he was one of the ones that were particularly sensitive to the venom. Recluses aren't aggressive, and they like to hide in small places. I always shake out my clothes if they have been setting any length of time. And yes, I have several different breeds of spiders resident in the house. Now, If i could only find one that likes stink bugs..............sigh. mikey

Minerat
05-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Had buddy in college that had a tarantula about the size of a tea cup. It walked along braided fishing line he had strung around the dorm room. Did not have many visitors when it was out. An unloaded pump pellet gun kills a spider just fine thank you. And you don't have to get close to it.;)

Buzzard II
05-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Moving target for "Gun Scrubber".

kfarm
05-31-2014, 10:26 PM
DLC is right, if'in they aint hurting you let'em be. Now if that rattle headed copper moccasin is threating you by all means protect your self. They is doing what they do. I talk this way cause I'm from Arkansas and i'z be educated.