PDA

View Full Version : Triball blown wads solved!!! Take #2

jhunter77
05-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Ok I thought I had it all worked out by letting the shells cure but I was wrong! I have let some cure for months only to have blow wads. Well now I have it figured out just shot a 3.5" and a 2" group at 35 yards! With a shells that were loaded 5 minutes prior! One shell was new and one had been shot 4 times. I will take that any day and may back off the choke some (.712 undertaker for steel shot). POI was off from POA (about a 1 foot high) but should work out. The trick? a simple 22lr spent case to use as a buffer dipper after you place the 20ga card wad. The wads were slightly tapered and not allowing buffer around the last ball so there was a unsupported section at the base of the wad because the radius of the ball and the radius of the wad did not match. The 22LR dipper full of buffer was not enough to get between the bottom ball and the card wad but it was enough to fill this void that allowed the wad to blow. I load using 28gr of Steel and a win 209 or the primer that comes with the chedite new primed hulls. By backing off I need two 1/8 corks on top. This fills the shell nicely. The wads must be re-cut from the factory. I had to slit them futher than what the shells from James are. If you do this load and do not slit the wad all the way to the base you WILL have the last ball stick in the wad and one wicked shuttlecock! So you have to slit the wad to the base. I have tried about every combo possible and even slit the wads earlier in my tests. The only advancement came with the 22lr load of buffer under the last ball! After about 100 test loads over several months I have it figured out how to make it work for me. James and Sissy created one heck of a hog stopper. Boar-o-saurs better look out! Now I need to go rest my poor shoulder!

my load sequence and data that worked for me-(anyone reading this should only follow professionally published data and read Jame's post with loading data. I am no professional)

Win 209 - cheditie 3.5 hull, 28gr of Steel, orange TUPRW123 SLIT IT ALL THE WAY TO THE BASE, push 20GA overshot card wad down using 3 balls, dump balls out then add A 22LR shell dipper of buffer over the 20 ga overshot card, then load all 3 balls and press down while vibrating on a tumbler. Then fill with buffer while tapping shell lightly then add two 1/8 cork 12ga wads. Press down on cork while holding on vibratory tumbler. Then crimp firmly.

cpileri
05-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Great News!!!
C-

Hogtamer
05-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Congrats on your hard-earned success! Now wish cpileri and I luck as we try to perfect the minie-in-sabot 3" loads we're working on. Your quest demonstrates that the smallest variable can mean the difference between "ok" and "just right".

cpileri
05-19-2014, 11:06 AM
it sure does. What is it about grits anyway?
In my last 20ga tests, I made loads A and B identical except that A used Malt-o-meal and B used PR Buffer, the same recommended for tri-ball loads. Load A shot a tight group and B didnt, not even close.
I think its the compression into a nice hard plug of the organic "buffers', but its just a theory.
C-

p.s. Hogtamer and I will post a joint thread of the tests he mentioned. stay tuned.

jhunter77
05-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks and good luck little things can made a big difference

bbs383ci
03-05-2015, 03:18 PM
jhunter77 what type of buffer were you using and do you have a recipe for 3" shells