PDA

View Full Version : Martini Henry

45workhorse
05-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Dropped the action out of my Son's .22 cal. Martini, cleaned every thing, went to put the action back in it, will not go back in!!
Looking at it, I took the extractor off the action, and it has to slide over the barrel stub, fits perfectly. Putting it back on the action it will not go.
Looking at it, the easy way would be to file the wings off the extrator, but doing that it wiil not eject the brass casing.
Filing on the barrel stub, it looks like I would have to remove quite a bit of metal.
What am I missing. A friend has one his action drops out and goes back in easy.

Thanks for any help.

williamwaco
05-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Did you look on Youtube?

There are videos there on at least a zillion different guns.

Frank46
05-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Which size martini?. The cadet and other small actioned 22 rifles usually have a screw you remove from the right hand side of the action, open the cocking lever and rock the trigger group out. Some of the take down 22 martinis have either a screw to remove or a lever you flip to the proper position. Now if it is a large framed martini you have my sympathy. I googled, queried on different forums, and finally got it back together. You have to sort of partially open the lever and install the extractor and get the breech block to drop in. I sat there for at least an hour fiddiling with it until it just popped in. Check with Bad *** Wallace who is probably our resident martini expert. And do not file on anything. You'll only make things worse. Frank

skeettx
05-17-2014, 11:37 PM
45workhorse
Bring it on over and we will fix ya up.
Mike

Von Gruff
05-17-2014, 11:39 PM
The authoritative forum for Martini's is http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/directory#.U3gq-ulZrIV

John Taylor
05-18-2014, 12:03 AM
The lever has to be in the down position to install the guts back in the frame. This allows the extractor to be back from the barrel as the breach block will be down.

45workhorse
05-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Mike
Amarillo, by morning?
If I was closer I would be there. It is probably something simple. I mess with it and then walk away then come back to it.

45workhorse
05-18-2014, 10:04 PM
The lever has to be in the down position to install the guts back in the frame. This allows the extractor to be back from the barrel as the breach block will be down.

Yes Sir,
I realize that, but the extractor still does not come back far enough to let it go over the barrel stub.

zuke
05-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Youtube?

John Taylor
05-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Yes Sir,
I realize that, but the extractor still does not come back far enough to let it go over the barrel stub.

You may need to hold the lever all the way down against spring pressure. It came out so it's got to go back in. I have seen a few where the lever needs to be held all the way down to get them back together. Lever in palm and finger through the trigger guard and hold it all the way so it will go back together.

Silfield
05-21-2014, 08:43 AM
I have a Martini Int Mk III and a BSA 1215 - both the actions are easy to remove but a real fiddle to replace. You tube will have the answers and once you have done it a couple of times it will become second nature.
Lovely sweet shooting rifles the old BSA's.

45workhorse
05-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Gentlemen
To everybody, that replied, THANK YOU!
I Finally got it to go back together, I guess I just wasn't hold my mouth right. It went back like it fit there, imagine that:-P