PDA

View Full Version : Lube sizer info

Melvin in SC
09-10-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm new here, and I was wondering what everyone thinks of the Saeco lubri-sizer?? Advantages, disavantages??
Thanks,
Melvin

beagle
09-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Melvin...it's a great machine and does it's job well. The advantage goes to either Lyman or RCBS IIMHO as dies and top punches are more readily available for them and cheaper as well./beagle

Buckshot
09-11-2005, 03:49 AM
............Gee, another one a them Sou' Caliney boys :-)! Welcome to the board Mel. Initial cost was the reason for me picking the Lyman lube press. That and as Beagle mentioned, the cost of the dies and top punches.

However, as to what I think of the Saeco machine, I think it's a better machine then the Lyman or RCBS. It's alignment system is better, and that right there would be good enough as to what is better about it.

..............Buckshot

Melvin in SC
09-11-2005, 08:43 AM
............Gee, another one a them Sou' Caliney boys :-)! Welcome to the board Mel. Initial cost was the reason for me picking the Lyman lube press. That and as Beagle mentioned, the cost of the dies and top punches.

However, as to what I think of the Saeco machine, I think it's a better machine then the Lyman or RCBS. It's alignment system is better, and that right there would be good enough as to what is better about it.

..............Buckshot

Yep, I'm from South carolina, glad you didn't think it stood for Southern California! :D
I've been out of casting for about 10 years. I once cast for 7mm,30cal., and 35 cal. all for use in my silhouette handguns. Sold all my stuff then(mistake).
Recently a friend gave me 100 BRP cast bullets, a copy of the RCBS 35-200FNGC design. I tried them in my Freedom Arms silhouette revolver, and they shot into 1.75" at 100 meters, and 3.75" at 200 meters, with 4 of the shots measuring 2.5". That betters my best jacketed load by 50%. So, I'm thinking of gearing up again to cast.
In looking through Saeco's top punches, I wondered how you would match their top punch to an RCBS bullet? I really would like a Star sizer, but not sure I can spend that much on one. I once used a Lyman 450 to size and lube, with a heater to use LBT lube, and got pretty good results. But, the Saeco looks beefier, and less prone to mis-alignment.
Thanks for the response, and the welcome!
Melvin

Possum
09-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Melvin, I am a fellow S. Carolinian from Lexington, SC. I have a Saeco sizer and like it. I am new to casting (only about a year of experience), but the Saeco met my expectations when I got it. The dies are a little harder to find and more expensive judging from EBAY and other outlets.

Melvin in SC
09-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Possum,
I'm not too far from you, I'm in Greenwood. I'm seriously considering a Saeco sizer, although I really would like to have a Star. I'm looking to gear up to cast for my Freedom Arms revolver.
Melvin

BABore
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm definetly not an experienced user of lube sizers, as I just got my first one. After lots of research I figured the quality of the common sizers were Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, and Star/Magma with lyman being ok and Star being great.

Lyman and RCBS have the cheapest dies ($14.33 to 15.94 at cost). Top punches are $5.89 and $6.60 at cost. Both will interchange and their punches cover Lyman and RCBS bullet mold lines. Saeco dies run $22.85 and punches are $9.45. Saeco punches cover their own molds period. This is not huge as most of the nose profiles are similar.

As far as operation, I can only speak of the Saeco. To change out the die and punch you back off the lube pressure, then take out the top punch with a wrench. The die is removed by spinning off a lower nut and sliding the die out the top. It takes about a minute. Others can speak on the others, but I have heard some can be a bugger to change. I have also heard mentioned that there can be top punch alignment issues with Lyman/RCBS. The Saeco has a tapered lead on its punch, so it self aligns. I believe some have mentioned leaving the Lyman/RCBS punch loose or stuck in with lube to help alignment issues.

What sold me on the Saeco is the lubrication system. It will take either hollow or solid. Since they're both the same size stick and cost the same, solid sticks are cheaper. When in operation, the Saeco will lube 20 to 50 bullets with out touching the pressure. So far I've done at least 30 #358156's with touching it. It's almost as fast as the Lee push through die. From what I gather, you have to give the Lyman/RCBS lube lever a bit of a turn with each bullet.

As far as structural strength, rigidity, and alignment, the Saeco beats the Lyman and RCBS hands down. Heated bases are available for all brands.

You probably noticed that I failed to mention anything about the Star/Magma lube sizer. Don't know much about them other than they are the caddy of them all, cost the most, and can only be purchased new from Magma. They size nose first which is beneficial and you don't need but a couple of punches. There lube system is pressurized and upgradeable to pneumatics.

That's all I have and its mostly my opinion, so all you experienced guys can have at me. I bought my Saeco off of Ebay for $50 with die and punch. If you move fast, there's one for sale now with 357 and 45 dies. It ends in a day or two and was up to $43 something when I looked last.

LAH
09-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Howdy Melvin.

Cherokee
09-16-2005, 11:02 AM
I have Lyman 45, 450 & 4500, and a Star. Some randon thoughts on the Star: really nice and can lube lots of bullets fast. However, I find it a pain to set up and get the lube lined up with the grooves the first time. After that, you plug the undesired lube holes in the die and its easier next time. However, you might want more that one sizing die, say .358 x 2, if you have different bullets with different grooves. One problem I found is trying to size large caliber bullets down more than a few thou'. Sizing .315 as cast bullets to .310 is easy, .360 as cast bullets to .358 is ok, but trying to size .455 as cast to .452 resulted is stuck bullets and bent handle. Needed the Lyman then and it was no effort. Star is nice but if I had to chose, Lyman it would be.

Melvin in SC
09-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Hello, LAH. I'm getting a lot of good info on this site.
Cherokee, thanks for the tips on the lube sizers. When I was casting, I used an older Lyman. The only problem I had with it was the O-ring in the bottom kept blowing. I understand the new ones are designed differently, and no longer have that problem.
Thanks everyone,
Melvin

Walter Laich
09-17-2005, 04:40 PM
The Lyman 4500 is all one piece except for the hole in the bottom for the rod. I had some one 450's that when I sent them in for service, came back with 4500 bodies(!) and no charge other than postage.

walt

Dick Dastardly
09-21-2005, 06:44 PM
I have both Lyman and Star units. I like the Star for doing lots of Snakebites for my .357 main match guns. I like the Lyman because of the versatilityl. However, I prefer the RCBS dies in my Lyman because I like the tapered throat.

DD-DLoS

Montanan
10-03-2005, 11:34 PM
I got lucky when a guy sent me a Lyman 450... needs get the inside rebuilt with the rings and such, but if I pan lube, then use with the sizer die, at least I can still size my bullets.

But I think I'm finally going to pitch the money and buy a new Lyman 4500 with the heater from Midway.

NVcurmudgeon
10-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Montanan, A couple of years ago I sent a ten year old Lyman 450 to Lyman because it leaked like a basket. I was amazed to receive a new 450 free within a couple of weeks, especially in view of the fact that I was given the 450 by a friend who was tired of fighting it!

Montanan
10-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Montanan, A couple of years ago I sent a ten year old Lyman 450 to Lyman because it leaked like a basket. I was amazed to receive a new 450 free within a couple of weeks, especially in view of the fact that I was given the 450 by a friend who was tired of fighting it!

Thanks for the heads up... its worth a shot, I mean all they can do is just send it back :wink: