PDA

View Full Version : Lee 20 Lb bottom pour spout freeze

Rich22
05-16-2014, 04:22 PM
So I am having an issue with the spout freezing up on my 20 lb Lee. I'm trying to see if it is something I am doing perhaps. If I stop pouring for more than approx 15-20 seconds I have to hit the spout with the torch to get it going again. Lead is clean, I have cleaned the pot out to see if it was gunk. Even if I have to just knock a bullet out of the mold it seems to do this. I talked to Lee Rep Dave and he says that I need to run the pot hotter even when I told him I was running it according to two thermometers at 720, this does not sound right to me. So in a 90 degree garage with casting as fast as I can and 720 lead temp, what else can I do here?

Thanks

huntnman
05-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Run it hotter. Have had same problem. 720 in the pot does not equal that at the spout. To freeze up it has to under the melt temp of you're alloy.

Beesdad
05-16-2014, 08:17 PM
I also had the same problem... Increase your temp. by 15 - 20 degrees and your problem will be resolved.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Run it hotter, especially if you're using aluminum molds. You'll get better fill out and the sprues will cut better with no spout freeze. Also, do a search for doing the BruceB and learn how to speed cast. Make more boolits, spend less time and have more fun doing it.