PDA

View Full Version : Any Security/Speed/Police Six shooters here?

tja6435
05-16-2014, 10:23 AM
I have a 1980 2.75" Speed Six in .38spl, a 1979 4" heavy barrel Security Six in .357 and a 2013 3" GP100 in 357.

I've had 2x other 4" GP100's but they had crazy $ offered for them at one time or another and I couldn't say no, especially when one guy offered more than a brand new GP100 (back during the panic when you couldn't even get one off gunbroker for a decent price)

I prefer the Security Six line over the GP's. They just feel better to me I guess. I really, really prefer the Speed Six's over the 3" GP100 and the SP101, as it's way easier to carry concealed---which I don't do much these days because I prefer to just open carry wherever I go (that's why I avoid Denver as much as possible--people look at you funny when in the store with an empty holster on your belt)

My dad's job requires that he be armed and he only had an old Stoeger 22lr Luger (not the most reliable pistola if you'd had the pleasure) so I lent my 2.75" Speed Six.

Onto gunbroker to replace that Speed Six, I bid on and won the auction for a very nice 2.75" Speed Six in 357. I was pumped. I contacted the seller and asked how to remit payment. He informed me that revolver had been sold at the show over the weekend. He offered up the 3" GP100 for $100 over the closing auction price. I declined and told him I wanted the Speed Six for what I bid. This went on for a day or two. I didn't want the GP100 for his offer, my final counter offer was the BNIB GP100 for the final bid. He wasn't happy but he completed the transaction saying he took a $50 hit on it.

If anything, I'll probably look for someone with a 5" or 6" GP100 and see if they'd like to trade it for my 3" unit

Anyway, anyone else prefer the Six line over the GP?

Outpost75
05-16-2014, 10:29 AM
The GP100 needs wheels and a pony to drag it around. I would not trade my Police Service Six for a whole train load of them.

contender1
05-16-2014, 10:36 AM
I own a few of the Ruger "Six" series guns. Love them. The GP is also a great firearm, but everybody has different feelings when they pick up any firearm. Some "fit" & others don't.

tja6435
05-16-2014, 10:39 AM
I like the grips on the GP line as they don't have the exposed back strap, but with a decent set of Pachmayer grips that cover the back strap, problem gone.

I also prefer the rounded recoil shield over the scalloped.

I've often thought about the cost of tooling to reproduce the Six line, though I'd like a left handed version like Charter Arms makes

tja6435
05-16-2014, 10:43 AM
A while back, I picked up a Glock 19 with a bunch of factory personal defense ammo for $420. I shot some of the ammo, gave the rest to my brother and traded it for a nice 4" GP100 that hadn't been shot much. I think it was made in 1989.

I bet the whole time the other guy was thinking 'what a dumba$$' as I was myself during the trade. I had an offer for that one for $650 I couldn't say no to. So down the road it went.

clownbear69
05-16-2014, 10:44 AM
I like my security six (as well as my colt trooper mkIII different story) but im trying to use it less and less. Nothing against the gun but if my security six breaks for whatever reason theres less and less people that know how to work on them compared to the GP100 where its a in production gun.

tja6435
05-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Well, true on the repair aspect. I have a couple spring kits for my Six's, need to get a couple sets of trigger groups springs though. I'm pretty sure Wolf still has them, last I looked they did anyway.

But really, you are worried that a Six will wear out?

clownbear69
05-16-2014, 11:15 AM
With the amount of shooting my grandfather and father did with it yup. For us its a generation gun so I plan on passing it to my son.

bob208
05-16-2014, 11:22 AM
i have a 4" stainless security six. it was made in 1976. i bought it used in 77. it has been shot and used for a carry gun for 30 plus years. i also have a 6" blue six. again no problems with it. if it came down to getting rid of hand guns that 4" stainless would be the last to go. the 6" would be next to last.

i don't know why they stopped the security-six line. my thought was to fix a problem that did not exist.

Charley
05-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Have an early Security Six , six inch barrel. Was my first centerfire handgun and it is to blame for getting me started in handloading. Never cared for the original DA pull, but aftermarket mainspring and trigger return spring took care of that. Wouldn't trade it.

Larry Gibson
05-16-2014, 11:37 AM
I prefer my Security Six over any other DA .357 revolver. It is hell for stout and takes full magnum level (still with in SAAMI MAPs) level loads with aplomb and is very accurate. Wouldn't trade it or sell it for any other .357 revolver.

Larry Gibson

tja6435
05-16-2014, 11:49 AM
With the amount of shooting my grandfather and father did with it yup. For us its a generation gun so I plan on passing it to my son.

Awesome. FYI, I see lots of Six parts on eBay and you'd have to call Ruger to see if they had springs, etc you may need eventually. 2 yrs ago Ruger found a ton of the large target wood grips for the Security Six. They were selling for $10/set. I picked up a set

richhodg66
05-16-2014, 11:51 AM
I have an old beat up six inch Security Six I like very much. It's not as accurate as a better condition one my Dad had, but plenty good enough and I just have confidence in it. Of the various handguns I have, that would be the one I would want most in hand if a bad situation.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard when Ruger discontinued that line, they sold the patents and tooling to a French company to make them for law enforcement use in Europe and that they are still being made somewhere as a result. Anyone else heard that?

texassako
05-16-2014, 11:57 AM
I love my 6" SS Security Six, and have a set of Ruger's Target grips on it. I bought extra sets I liked them so much. I did not like the Pachmayr grips it came with or the stock wood.

Tom Herman
05-16-2014, 12:10 PM
i don't know why they stopped the security-six line. my thought was to fix a problem that did not exist.

Bob, I think that the Security Six was expensive to make, and that's why Ruger dropped it.

Tom Herman
05-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Ahhhh... The Security Six! I have a stainless version with the 4" barrel: It was the first gun I ever bought, got it new in 1982.... I'll NEVER sell it! Of course, it was the ONE gun in my collection that the wife gravitated towards... I told her she can use it, but I'm not giving it up. I'm amazed at how diminutive the Security Six looks and feels compared to the other Rugers I have in .44 and .45 caliber.
I just shot the Security Six last weekend, and enjoyed it with both .38's and full house .357 Magnums. It's a great gun, and like others have said, it will hopefully be the last one that I ever part with.

johniv
05-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Have a Post office 3" speed six , great carry gun ,shoots great, it aint goin nowhere.

tja6435
05-16-2014, 05:41 PM
These were very under valued up until the last year or so. Used to find them crazy cheap all over, everyone was after the GP100's

SGTM9
05-16-2014, 06:19 PM
I have a 4" Secuity Six blued. My grandfather bought it used in the late 70's. My dad had it for 15 years or so. It is now mine and I plan to pass it on to one of my grandsons when the time comes.

LouisianaMan
05-16-2014, 06:21 PM
I have a Speed-Six Indian Contract 2 3/4" in ".380 Rim" that's not going anywhere except the range :-) I have some fairly solid .38-200 loads put together for it, but I need to cook up some fire-breathers based on Ken Waters's "Pet Loads," which he tested in an Indian Service-Six 4". I'm generally a Smith guy, have fooled around with a few Colts, but this beast of a Ruger deserves to shoot something stout. I like to keep a revolver in the nightstand with my 1911, and would like the Ruger to assume that role.

marvelshooter
05-16-2014, 07:04 PM
I have a 1976 (liberty) 6" blue Security Six. Built like a tank and very accurate.

osteodoc08
05-16-2014, 07:12 PM
I'd love to have a security six in 4" or 6" variations. Always looking for one locally. Very underrated as all Rugers typically are.

As far as service, Ruger ain't going anywhere

tja6435
05-16-2014, 07:16 PM
as for service, concerning the Six series, Ruger will take a look but they have very few if any parts left these days. However, stories far and wide of them replacing worn out Six's with BNIB gp's for cost if they cannot repair it.

That's why I was noting the parts all over eBay currently for these beauties. If you think you may need a part eventually, I'd pick it up soon

6thtexas
05-16-2014, 10:23 PM
I have a 4" Security Six that I rounded the butt on and slipped in a new Speed Six spurless hammer. It gets carried some. With the other hammer in, it goes to the deer lease on occasion.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee461/6thtexas/010.jpg~original

bruce drake
05-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Rich,
Ruger worked with Manurhin of France to build a 357 as the MR-88 in 4" and 6" pistols in blue and stainless.
http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20francaise/artisans%20m%20n%20o/a%20manurhin%20gb.htm
Sorry its in French but Ruger has worked for a long time with the Manurhin firm to produce their MR-73 9", 6", 4" revolvers as well as a Gawd-awful ugly MR-93....Thank God that one was never sold in the USA...

Bruce

richhodg66
05-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Despite having been stationed in Belgium for a while, I speak no French and read even less, LOL. None of those look much like a Ruger. I wish they still made them, I really like mine and wouldn't mind having another one.

I do remember the police carrying revolvers there, which I thought odd as most American departments had gone to autos by that time.

bruce drake
05-17-2014, 12:55 AM
the 88 is pretty close but that 93 is really blocky!

Piedmont
05-17-2014, 01:45 AM
I've got the only 9mm Security Six in the world. Well....prolly not the only one.

Lonegun1894
05-17-2014, 02:11 AM
I have a 4" SS Security Six, and it has been carried for hunting, target, and defensive use since I bought it in '02. Excellent revolver with great accuracy, and easily a match for my 6" GP100. I would say I like em both equally, but I carry the SS a lot more so that would be a lie. But the GP is catching up, slowly. I'm sure I will carry it more when I wear the SS out, but that may take a lil while...

tja6435
05-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Some Manurhin model 73's for sale on gunbroker currently. If ghey were copies of one of the Six line, I'd be all over one for $550, which they're going for. But they look like a mishmash of a Ruger and a S&W. If Ruger helped them out so much, why the side plates on most models?

tja6435
05-17-2014, 12:46 PM
I have been looking for 3 years for a set of a Trausch grips for my any of my Six revolvers. The maker was in France and died a few years back. As far as I can tell the company just closed. Too bad, I think a lot of people would get a set if they had he chance these days.

rhead
05-17-2014, 05:37 PM
I have a security six (1972) four inch, definitely one of my favorites. It points where I look. It will out last my children and probably my grand children.

Zim
05-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Love my 2-3/4" until I broke it. Need to send it off for fixing. Bought 2 6" and they are just as sweet but more front end heavy. Too good to pass up and they just feel better than Smiths.

Something is binding when you are shooting it. Have a real hard time reproducing the failure at the bench. I've had it apart 3 times looking for anything. Put it together and all is well until the 3 or 6th cylinder when it won't advance. Anyone seen anything like this?

Bullwolf
05-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Have a 6 inch blued Security Six. It used to be a rental gun at the range where I worked. Liked it so much that I bought it.

It's has been extremely used and it's still a quality tough gun, I often prefer shooting it over the newer full lug GP100's.

That's just a preference thing though, there is nothing wrong with the GP100.

I had a used 4 inch stainless Security Six in my hand a few months back, I am still kicking myself for not buying it. At the time I was having a hard time justifying the purchase of yet another .357 Magnum, wish I had picked it up now.

I like the Security Six, and Speed Six line lots.

- Bullwolf

Battis
05-18-2014, 01:18 AM
I have the stainless Speed Six with a 2 3/4" barrel. I loaded up some +P rounds for my daughter the other day and she loves it. I usually carry with .357 rounds, but for plinking, the .38 SP is great.
My son has a Ruger SR9 and a SR45. The only gun I'd consider trading the Speed Six for would be the SR45.
I have a Ruger Old Army cap and ball, the best percussion revolver ever made (in my opinion).

bruce drake
05-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Some Manurhin model 73's for sale on gunbroker currently. If ghey were copies of one of the Six line, I'd be all over one for $550, which they're going for. But they look like a mishmash of a Ruger and a S&W. If Ruger helped them out so much, why the side plates on most models?

Ruger may have helped them in production of parts and frames but Manurhin was the company selling them and probably had the final say on how it was finally designed.

Bruce

texassako
05-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Ruger sold Manurhin a patent a long time ago, but I believe a lot of the involvement had to do with Ruger's large Pine Tree Castings investment casting division.

tja6435
05-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Have you guys seen the 44 Special conversion that one shop does for the GP100? They look slick.

If I had the money and a spare 357 2.75" Speed Six, I think they'd make an even better conversion than the gp's. Too bad I'll probably never have the $ to see that dream project through

Moonie
05-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Had a SIL that bought one, I took a look at it and being that I had no 357 at the time I told him if/when he sold it to come to me first. I knew it was just a matter of time as he buys and sells guns and cars like changing underware. 2 weeks later he calls and the deal was struck, paid him what he paid and the 6" SS Security Six came home with me. For some reason he didn't like shooting it, or so he said, his loss my gain.

LouisianaMan
05-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Have you guys seen the 44 Special conversion that one shop does for the GP100? They look slick.

If I had the money and a spare 357 2.75" Speed Six, I think they'd make an even better conversion than the gp's. Too bad I'll probably never have the $ to see that dream project through

Scary to think of price--who does it and what does it run? Any photos you can point me to?

tja6435
05-19-2014, 04:29 PM
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html

Looks like $1250 for the gp100 conversion to a 5 shot 44 special. Looks like they're offering 10mm conversions also now, which would also be awesome in a sturdy revolver

LouisianaMan
05-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Man, that is good-looking. I know Ruger already sells more guns than they can make, but lots of us who appreciate the Charter Bulldog/Pug would like to have a shot at a sturdy Ruger .44 SPL, especially if it weighed <30 ounces.

skykingjohn
05-19-2014, 05:17 PM
I shot my Security Six today and it is still the most fun gun i shoot just wish it was not so hard to conceal carry

FergusonTO35
05-19-2014, 05:22 PM
I have a 1988 Service Six, last year of production. It's stainless, .38 Special, and has a 4" tube. It is accurate and has a great trigger pull. On top of that I just think its a really beautiful revolver. The lack of a medium frame .38 Special revolver that doesn't weigh a ton is a huge gap in Ruger's lineup.

Had a GP for awhile, it was a good shooter. Otherwise it was big and heavy, almost as if Ruger decided to make their own version of the old N-frame Highway Patrolman. For shooting stout .357's I can't imagine a better choice. I never shoot .357's in handguns so the GP was expendable and I traded it even for a Marlin 336 Texan. I would love to get a KGPF-840 some day. It's a stainless GP-100 with fixed sights and 4" half lug barrel in .38 Special. Still kicking myself for not buying one brand new when I had the chance.

Petrol & Powder
05-24-2014, 07:54 AM
It's been a while since I played with the Service-Six / Security-Six / Speed-Six models but I'll pick one up again when I find the right one at the right price. They were dropped from production with the introduction of the GP100 & SP101, a decision by Bill Ruger himself and it is documented in R.L. Wilson's book, "Ruger & His Guns". I think there would have been room in the line up for both the GP100 and the Six series but that's history now.
The Six series Rugers were often maligned by the less informed for no other reason than "It's not a S&W". That was a shame because the guns are strong, well made and were often less expensive than Smith's. I always considered the Six series Rugers to have the strength of a L-framed S&W in a package the size of a K-frame. I've had my share of GP100's and SP101's and still have a couple. The GP is a great .357 magnum design but just a tad large/heavy for a 38 Special. FergusonTO35 labeled the GP100 as Ruger's version of a N-frame model 28 and I think that's fitting. I miss the Service-Six and wish Bill had found room for just one more production line.

Petrol & Powder
05-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Bob, I think that the Security Six was expensive to make, and that's why Ruger dropped it.

From what I've read it appears that Bill Ruger didn't want to compete against himself and wanted the GP100 to be Ruger's large frame DA revolver and the SP101 to be their small frame revolver. Both the GP series and the Six series rely heavily on investment casting and once Ruger retooled for the GP series it would have been expensive to run two production lines. I don't believe the Six series was abnormally expensive to produce, I just think they wanted to re-tool and run only one line.

MtGun44
05-25-2014, 01:00 AM
Bill Ruger has been quoted as saying he never made any money on the Security Six.

Bill

rintinglen
05-25-2014, 03:22 AM
By the end of the 80's, the wondernine bloom was in full swing, and revolvers were becoming a drug on the market. For Ruger to have kept making the Security Six and the GP 100's made little sense economically. But I do think they stopped the wrong one. A Security Six with an Underlug barrel could have been easily manufactuered for anyone wanting such a gun, while retaining the option of manufacturing the Speed Six and other lighter models. The GP 100, while heck for strong, is too heavy for casual carry, and even on a duty belt it is burdensome by the end of the shift.
I take the liberty of doubting Mr. Ruger's comments on the profitability of the Security Six. You don't sell a million and a half of something that you lose money on.

jrayborn
05-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Understand that "Making Money" is a relative term. In the shop I work in, if we "make" 20% its considered an issue. With no facts at my disposal it is quite possible that at the time, Ruger was not "loosing" money, but wasn't making the profit they required to continue playing the game. At any rate, I love the Six Series but prefer the GP's. It's all good!

Petrol & Powder
05-25-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm with rintinglen, I'm a little skeptical concerning the claim that he didn't make money on a product that had 1.5 million units sold.
Looking at the introduction of the GP100 in the context of the time we can see some possible influences. In the 1970's Smith & Wesson controlled a huge portion of the law enforcement market and Ruger wanted his Service-Six / Speed-Six lines to capture a chunk of that market away from S&W. Then in 1981, S&W introduced the L-frames and the fixed sighted 581 and 681 models were clearly aimed at the LE market. The GP100 was introduced in 1985, possibly as an answer to the S&W L-frames. A few years later the massive shift from revolvers to semi-auto pistols changed that market. It's possible that at the time of the introduction of the GP100, Ruger believed the LE sales of the Six series would be eclipsed by sales of the GP models to LE.
In any event, the public got the strong but large GP100 and lost the strong but smaller Six series.

tja6435
05-25-2014, 03:16 PM
From my understanding of Ruger's pricing on the Six line was that he didn't make any $ on their sales, may have lost a little, but did so to gain market share that S&W had been dominating.

Who prefers the round back recoil shields over the scalloped? My 3 Six's all have the round back, I prefer that style. I also prefer the stainless finish, every one of my Ruger revolvers/pistola are stainless. The first firearm I purchased after I turned 21 was a brand new in box MKII Gov't Target pistol with the 6 7/8" barrel. I probably have 35-40 bricks through that gun easy. About a year ago, I ordered a new firing pin and almost every spring and replaced them all. Now it'll function as it should after 300-400 rounds. Ever since it was new, after 300-400 rounds through it, we'd begin to have misfires from light strikes. I just figured it was a target pistol and the design necessitates a clean gun for reliable function.
Now, I can run 2 bricks easily before I begin having firing, feeding, etc problems. My brother has a MKIII that has easy 5 bricks through it and hasn't been cleaned once yet it still works as it should. Not sure what changed, but that'd be nice to have in my MKII

Petrol & Powder
05-25-2014, 07:48 PM
I don't doubt that Ruger said he lost money on the Security-Six/Speed-Six/Service-Six line but I seriously doubt he actually lost money on a line was in production for 16 years and 1.5 million guns. Ruger was too good of a business man to take that kind of loss for that length of time.
Now it is probable that they lost money on some individual contracts. In order to wean some police departments away from long term S&W relationships it was likely necessary to significantly undercut S&W prices. That may have required selling Service-six revolvers at a loss to those individual departments just to win the contracts. Glock did exactly that during their early days in America. I'd be willing to bet Ruger subsidized those losses by selling other guns in the line at higher prices to other departments and the general public.
William Ruger was a gifted designer and a very shrewd business man. He may not have made as much profit as he wanted but I doubt he lost money overall for 16 years.

Outpost75
05-25-2014, 10:28 PM
The explanation I was told by Ruger's engineers, when I visited the plant as the government's Quality Assurance Representative, was that the Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six platform was more labor intensive to assemble and fit, and that to enable full parts interchangibility would have required complete retooling and regaging.

The decision to adapt the basic Redhawk design to simplied production resulted in the Super Redhawk, GP100, SP101 lines. The days of a revolver as a primary police handgun were over by 1986 and they ran an estimated supply of spare parts to service the old revolver line for 20 years. Those spares are all but gone now. My Service Six was factory rebuilt in 2005 and I was told they were scraping the bottom of the barrel then.

tja6435
05-26-2014, 05:41 PM
How do the serial numbers work on the 2005 Six's? I didn't realize they had been making them from parts that long after. I'd really like to find a recent production one

Lonegun1894
05-27-2014, 02:07 AM
From my understanding, they quit making them in the late '80s, but had enough parts left over to where you could send yours in to get serviced, or even rebuilt, until '05/'06. Basically take your old frame, and replace whatever parts needed replacing, refinishing, etc, so you basically end up with a new gun but one that hadn't been built in almost 20 years.

Duckiller
05-27-2014, 03:03 AM
Local smith had a Security Six that Southern Pacific had for runs through the low desert. Conductors and others fired it at cans,bottles, rocks and other targets of oppurtunity. No one ever cleaned it and they were firing company ammo so it was shot often. When my friendly smith go ahold of it it was frozen. Couldn't open cylinder, couldn't pull the trigger, hammer wouldn't stay cocked. He removed the wood stocks and put in a tank of cleaning liquid and forgot that it was there. Six months later while cleaning out the tank he discovered it. Washed it out and gave it a good cleaning. Wasn't quite as tight as a new gun but it worked. With reasonable care I am not sure a Security Six will ever break.

Piedmont
05-27-2014, 01:11 PM
With reasonable care I am not sure a Security Six will ever break.

Stuff breaks. The trigger spring on one of mine broke while shooting. Ruger single actions are also reported to be almost unbreakable and I have broken two of the hammer plungers and a transfer bar, all on different revolvers. My Rugers aren't shot as much as my Smiths but they have broken more parts. (I know this is a sample of one so really doesn't count for much.) I think the Rugers are more durable in terms of total gun life.

FergusonTO35
05-27-2014, 01:31 PM
I would be happy if Ruger had kept the GP the same size as the Six and used the same grip frame. On my wheel guns I strongly prefer traditional checkered panels, which are simply not available for the tiny GP grip frame. I really do like the mechanical design of the GP, probably the best one out there in terms of durability and ease of service.

Outpost75
05-27-2014, 01:39 PM
How do the serial numbers work on the 2005 Six's? I didn't realize they had been making them from parts that long after. I'd really like to find a recent production one

By "factory rebuilt" I didn't mean to imply that they were assembling NEW guns. They continued to service and repair law enforcement contract guns for government customers until the supply of repair parts was gone. I built my 161- prefix Police Service Six .38 Special when I was a student at the armorer's school in Newport, NH in 1986. We were instructed on the full manufacture and assembly operations on the guns we were learning to repair and it was customary for attendees to build a "school gun" of the type they were learning. Years later, as a professional courtesy, government and law enforcement armorers were notified they could have their Service Six, Speed Six school guns "factory-through repaired" and refinished before the parts were all gone, and I took advantage of that opportunity when notified.

roverboy
05-27-2014, 04:59 PM
I've got a Security Six that I've had since '86 and still shoot it occasionally. Got it for $150 back then........

Petrol & Powder
10-19-2014, 08:21 AM
I know this thread has been dormant for a few months but I wish to chime in again.

Over the years I've had a few Security-Six / Service-Six revolvers and they where great guns but somehow I got pulled in another direction. Recently I acquired a late production Service-Six. After a few sessions it was obvious that this one was an absolute keeper. I've always liked the Service-Six and wish Ruger had continued production. I like the GP-100's but the Service-Six just seems to be proportioned better. The Ruger Six series are great guns !

30calflash
10-19-2014, 04:48 PM
I've a 2 3/4' service 6, blued. Like it much, shoots well although it doesn't get fired much.

When a 4" Security 6 comes around I may consider acquiring it.

Multigunner
10-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Only fired the Ruger .38 special version belonging to a friend and remembering from a magazine article how it took down for cleaning we took it apart cleaned and put it back together.
That revolver had belonged to his father who was a deputy and park ranger for many years. I doubt his dad had ever cleaned it but it never failed and was quite accurate.

Multigunner
10-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Just remembered a very bad example of this model.
I was asked to check out a Ruger a couple of buyers had returned to the store saying they couldn't hit anything with it.
I fired a few rounds and found I could see the bullets spinning around sideways in the air.
When I cleaned up the bore, having not cleaned it out before trying it. I found there were gouges cutting across the lands from end to end.
Apparently the bit had caught a chip and the barrel had gone through the entire manufacturing process without anyone noticing.
Ruger had a very poor record for quality control at the time.
But if you take the trouble to closely examine a Ruger before buying it that likely won't be an issue.

PS
Thats the last time I fired a unfamilar revolver without first cleaning out and examining the bore.

Petrol & Powder
10-19-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm sure anyone can let a bad gun out of the factory once in awhile but most of the Ruger revolvers I've come across were fine.
I've always liked the Six series and considered them to be K-frame size guns with L-frame strength. I own far more Smith's than Rugers but the Rugers kind of grow on me.

skykingjohn
10-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I had my security six out to play today . I have a game i do with a ballistics ball throw it out andyou have to hit it 18 times before you can move your feet ( unless it rolls in to an unsafe zone )
All together i put 150 rounds down range .great gun great fun . Also saved the day as in my Kahr CW9 broke another extractor and was useless and i get so little time to go shooting with my boys

clum553946
10-21-2014, 07:07 AM
I have a Security Six 4" Blue that was my first pistol stronger than a 22 LR! I got it in the 70's, carried it for years in the backcountry, & found it to be the strongest .357 I own. I used to load it with 140 gr jhp's with a stiff load of Blue Dot that would cause pressure problems in all of my other .357's. It now looks a little shop worn, but if I have to say it's my sentimental favorite. I also have for reference, Colt Python, S&W 686, Ruger GP100 & GP101, & Rossi!

tja6435
10-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I am working on buying a 6" Security Six, in stainless steel. Once it is in my hands, I'll have a 2.75" Speed Six in 38spl, a 4" Security Six in 357 mag and the 6" Security Six, also in 357 mag. Already have the holster ordered and in hand. Other than my 6 7/8" Ruger MKII, this will be the longest barreled hand gun I have

Petrol & Powder
10-22-2014, 07:51 AM
The 2.75" Speed-Six is very similar to the round butt S&W models 13/65 with 3" barrels but stronger. The FBI issued 3" RB model 13's for a while and it was one of the few times they had a good idea. That was an excellent combination of size & power. Easier to shoot than a sub nose, easier to carry/conceal than a 4" duty gun and very fast to draw and fire. The 2.75" Speed-Six possesses that same great mix of qualities. It's an excellent self defense tool.
The 4" Security-Six/Service-Six is a great all-around revolver. With fixed sights it is just about the perfect duty gun if you like to dwell in the realm of the revolver. Easier to carry than a L-Frame S&W or a GP-100 and tougher than an anvil.

I would imagine the 6" Security-Six would possess all of the good qualities of the 4" and have the benefit of a longer sight radius.

FergusonTO35
10-23-2014, 10:19 AM
I would love to add a six shot .38 with 2.5-3" barrel to my carry lineup. I've tried 5 shot small frames and they just don't work for me.

tja6435
10-23-2014, 01:44 PM
The 6" Security Six it OTW. I should be able to get it picked up Tuesday next week. Once I break it down and clean it up, there are a few scratches on it that'll get buffed out.

Petrol & Powder
10-23-2014, 05:19 PM
I would love to add a six shot .38 with 2.5-3" barrel to my carry lineup. I've tried 5 shot small frames and they just don't work for me.

The concept of a 3" barreled K-frame or Speed-Six is often overlooked. 2.5" -3" barrels on revolvers like the 3" S&W model 65 or model 13 are great self-defense guns. The 2.5" model 19 is also good if you don't mind the adjustable sights. The Speed-Six models are in the same camp. With the full sized round butt grips of the Speed-Six or K-frame, they are much easier to shoot than the shorter J-frame type guns. The 3" tube gives a decent sight radius and a little more velocity than a 2" barrel without being a full sized duty gun. They're not pocket carry or ankle holster guns like an alloy framed DAO J-frame but for belt carry they are hard to beat as fighting tools. Big enough to hold onto and small/light enough to easily conceal in a "on-the-belt" holster.
The extra round is just a bonus!

5Shot
10-23-2014, 05:29 PM
My security Six seems to have a lot of cylinder rotation at lockup...is that common for these guns?

dilly
10-23-2014, 06:26 PM
I've had nothing but bad luck with the security six line. Two different pistols have given me a lot of grief.

Petrol & Powder
10-23-2014, 07:22 PM
I've never had a bad one.

Petrol & Powder
10-23-2014, 07:24 PM
My security Six seems to have a lot of cylinder rotation at lockup...is that common for these guns?

Both Ruger's and S&W's have a little play when they lock up. The cylinder "self-centers" when the bullet enters the forcing cone.
Colts, when they are properly in time, lock up tight at the moment of firing.

Moonie
10-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Mine has some cosmetic issues but is solid, stainless 6" Security Six.

FergusonTO35
10-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Petrol and Powder, you are so right about that. Apparently many folks agree with you. The 2.5-3" barrel k-frames and sixes now command a premium over the 2 and 4 inch tubes. The Speed Six in particular is getting into Colt territory price wise. Ruger has shown a willingness to turn out new products lately. Would love to see them come out with a six shot .38 that doesn't weigh a ton.

Multigunner
10-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Some double action revolver designs allow a slight amount of play when the hammer is down before the trigger is pulled or when at full cock with hammer back, but when fired the action of pulling the trigger all the way back raises the hand enough to take up all the slack and the chamber is centered to the cone and cylinder locked solidly in place at the moment of firing and stays that way until the trigger is released.
If unsure try dry firing and hold the trigger all the way back while checking the cylinder for play.
With single action revolvers the hand is not connected to the trigger so the same mechanical actions do not apply.

Basically for the DA revolvers a small amount of rotational play of the cylinder is only an issue if it does so when the trigger has been pulled all the way back.

A trully sloppy fit before the trigger is pulled may be a sign of a problem in the offing. This could be from under sized locking bolt or over sized notches in the cylinder, a badly worn hand, a very weak bolt spring, or debris preventing the bolt from rising fully to engage the notches.
My S&W Hand Ejector has a small screw in front of the trigger guard for adjusting the tension of the locking bolt spring.
IIRC , If too tight the bolt rises too early and drags on the cylinder, if too loose it rises to late or not high enough to lock the cylinder at the moment of firing.

rogerstg
10-24-2014, 09:35 PM

Mine locks up tighter than my Colt Trooper. But the real question is, how does it shoot?

tommag
10-25-2014, 12:59 AM
I have a 6" security 6. I love this revolver! Funny, though, I was shooting it off hand the other day at a piece of 2x4 stuck in the ground at 50 yds. it didn't take long to demolish it shooting off hand. Today, at the range on sand bags, I MAYBE hit 40% on a 3.5" target. For some reason, I shoot better with no witnesses!

Petrol & Powder
10-25-2014, 09:32 AM
...... Ruger has shown a willingness to turn out new products lately. Would love to see them come out with a six shot .38 that doesn't weigh a ton.

Ditto ! The GP100 is superbly designed and incredibly strong but I wish there was a slightly lighter/smaller Ruger version. Something that was bigger than a SP101 that had a six round cylinder but wasn't as heavy/bulky as the GP.
Clearly Ruger can incorporate the crane lock, non-rotating ejector rod and peg style grip frame of the GP100 in the smaller SP101 frame, so in theory they should be able to use those same features on a mid-sized revolver.
Don't know if there would be a big enough market for something like that in today's pistol dominated world but I can dream a little, right?
And while we're dreaming.....how about a 5 shot - 44 Special in that GP100 frame !!!!!!

Good Cheer
10-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Have an early Security Six , six inch barrel. Was my first centerfire handgun and it is to blame for getting me started in handloading. Never cared for the original DA pull, but aftermarket mainspring and trigger return spring took care of that. Wouldn't trade it.

[smilie=s: Yep, the Six got me started too. It was my rabbit hunting gun with ammo tailored to suit the task. Lee round nose was even better than target wadcutter loads.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-29-2014, 09:18 AM
When in college I decided on the Ruger stainless with Pachmyer grips would be my duty gun when I hired on a law enforcement agency, thought I wanted a 4 inch. When I hired on in the early 80's a guy had 6" stainless with Pachmyer's for $175.00 which was a lot less than the $235.00 I have to pay for a new one in the gun shop. I carried that 6" and always shot 100 per cent with it just the previous owner did. I offered him $150.00 and he took it. There was Smith vs. Colt vs. Ruger opinions going on in the Dept back then and over coffee. The Colt Python was real popular but I preferred the Ruger. 6 inch barrels were really popular. When I had a little money I bought and carried the 4 inch stainless Security Six with Pachmyer grips but I ended up selling it after a short time. I carried that 6" Security Six for about 10 years on duty.

After 10 years of it being carried by me and who knows how many years being carried by the previous owner I got to looking at the new GP100 in a gun shop. I love the Smith Model 27 but that GP100 actually felt better in my hand and I wanted one. The times changed and instead of the GP100 I went with a European wonder nine. The 9 turned in some poor performance in shooting reports so I changed again.

I carry the 1911 .45 now but that Ruger Security Six 6" stainless was an excellent gun and I felt confident in tight situations with it.

FergusonTO35
10-29-2014, 11:18 AM
I don't think it would be terribly hard for Ruger to open up the frame of the SP-101 a bit to make a six shot .38. The SP is already big for a five shot. Taurus was doing the same with the 856 series but as usual their horrible QC ruined it. Or, simply make the GP-100 go on a diet. Trim all that needless bulk off the receiver and give it a half lug barrel like the older fixed sight versions had, maybe even a skinnier cylinder and corresponding window in the frame. Add some adjustable sights and we have a winner!

FergusonTO35
11-02-2014, 08:32 PM
I spent some quality time with my Service Six today just shooting up a motley assortment of old reloads. This wheel gun is darn near as accurate double action as single action. I sure don't feel unarmed carrying it. Great piece, one of my favorites.

trickyasafox
11-02-2014, 09:58 PM
I had 2 security sixes- one in 2-3/4 and another in 4in. Sold the 2-3/4, will never part with the 4. Sometimes I miss the snub, but I never found a good rig to carry it well. I'd love to come across a 6in, but they are fairly rare in my area.

Petrol & Powder
11-07-2014, 09:30 AM
I always a little bit amused when people criticize Ruger revolvers and then confess they've never owned one :|.
I've rarely heard anyone that actually owns & shoots a Security-Six/Service-Six express any serious disappointment in them other than maybe the trigger pull weight.
In the past, the "It's not a S&W" attitude, worked to a Ruger buyers' advantage. Rugers could generally be purchased for less money because of the perceived superiority of the S&W. Unfortunately that no longer seems to be the case and old Six series revolvers are seldom found at bargain basement prices these days.

FergusonTO35 - I share your wishes for a lighter GP100. The GP100 platform is superbly engineered and undoubtedly strong but there's potential within that existing design for a trimmer gun. The Six series are obviously never coming back but there's a potential market for a trimmer GP100 model to be added to the line. Now if I can just get someone at Ruger to agree with me :grin:!

Lonegun1894
11-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I can understand y'all that want a lighter GP100, but have to disagree. Now I'm not against Ruger making one by any means, but there's some of us that use a Security Six and the GP100 as hunting guns, and the added weight and strength was a major factor in my case at least. I want a steady diet of full power loads, or at least what used to be full power as the .357 Mag originally intended, not what passes for it nowadays in the day of polymer revolvers and other fly weight guns. So I wish Ruger would come out with a lighter weight for those of you that want one, on the condition that the full size and full weight GP100 stays in the line up of available models.

Petrol & Powder
11-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Lonegun1894 I hear you and agree, that's why I stated, "....but there's a potential market for a trimmer GP100 model to be ADDED to the line. "

ADDED = as is in addition to......OR ...to supplement not replace.

The GP100 is a great gun and nobody is suggesting that it should go away. When the Six series guns were discontinued a void was created in the Ruger line up. The SP101 became the small(ish) 38/357 DA revolver and the GP100 became the full size 38/357 DA revolver (not considering the .357 Redhawks). The Security-Six had sort of filled the middle ground and I always thought it carried a little better than the GP's. I also have a strong affinity for the 38 Special as opposed to the .357 magnum, which probably places me in the weird minority group of 38/357 revolver shooters.

The GP100 is very strong and well suited for full power .357 magnum loads, however size & weight wise, it is in the same class as a full lugged L-framed S&W. A fine gun but a wee bit too large for some applications, in my humble opinion. Since they don't make the Six series anymore, my only hope of fulfilling my silly pipe dream would be the addition of a trimmer GP 100 model to the current GP lineup.

Of course this is all an academic exercise anyway. What I wish for Ruger to do is just that.....a wish.

FergusonTO35
11-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I agree that for full power .357's there is no better wheelgun than the GP. I never shoot .357 in handguns so its a moot point for me personally, my Marlin 1894 handles that just fine. For .38 Special +P my Service Six is just perfect.

I had an SP-101 with 3" barrel for awhile. It was a stout and well made little gun but it shot low with every bullet I ever tried in it and had a 40 pound trigger pull. Aftermarket springs only made it unreliable. I traded it for my original purchase price on a Marlin 1895.

Petrol & Powder
11-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I've had mixed success with the SP101 as well. I always thought it was plenty strong but a little big for a snub-nose and not big enough as a holster gun. I have never understood 3" barreled, 5 shot revolvers. If you're going to step up from a snub nose to a 3" tube you might as well get a full sized grip frame and a 6 round capacity cylinder. I love 3" barreled revolvers as fighting guns but never warmed up to 3" barreled, small framed 5 shot revolvers.
The GP is clearly a great .357 design and I agree that there is no better DA platform for heavy .357 loads. I've owned/shot a bunch of them over the years.

Just reinforce my previously declared "weirdness", all of my current DA Rugers are chambered in 38 Special (not .357 mag) and It would take a lot of money to get me to part with my current 38 Special Service Six.

Lonegun1894
11-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Petrol & Powder,
Sorry, I completely missed the ADDED part. Now that I fully understand, I agree with you.

As to the .38 Spl over the .357 Mag, I can understand that reasoning too. I mean, I kind of see the .38 as an overgrown .22, and just as much if not more fun. Who can argue with using less powder and placing less abuse on the gun and shooter, and may as well use an appropriate size/weight gun, if that is your main use. I don't mean the comparison as an insult to you or the .38, cause the .38 is capable of doing almost anything I need to do with a handgun, I just prefer to be sure I have enough gun on me for the time I come across something that needs a .357 to stop it. Now my use is a bit different than most, because I work as a peace officer in a small town with backup being 20 minutes to an hour and a half away, depending on if another agency close by has anyone on duty or not. So for me, having to stop livestock or vehicles is a possible need, and I practice with full power ammo so if the time comes to use it, there are no surprizes as to how the gun acts or where the bullets go. You know, the things the .357 was designed for, as a tool.

Petrol & Powder
11-07-2014, 03:36 PM
No worries Lonegun and I completely understood what you were saying. Your application of the .357 is exactly what that cartridge was made for. I recall reading a study concerning the .357 mag in actual shootings and there's no doubt it is a highly effective cartridge.
The GP100 is an excellent choice for a gun that is subjected to magnum loads during practice sessions and I commend you for practicing with your carry loads.

tja6435
12-01-2014, 12:59 PM
New to me 6" Security Six, made in 1980. It's about the same weight as my 4" Six with heavy barrel. I replaced the grips with the large target grips Ruger found a pallet of a couple years back.

hpdrifter
12-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I've got a Police Service Six, does that count?

Petrol & Powder
12-02-2014, 06:07 PM
YES !
The Service-Six is an outstanding gun !

FergusonTO35
12-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Petrol & Powder don't worry, you aren't the only person inflicted with the weird preference for full size revolvers chambered in .38 Special not .357. With a little luck I'll soon be adding a third one to the lineup. A GP-100 .38 in stainless with half lug barrel (model KGPF-840) is one of my lifetime gotta haves. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one NIB in 2002 for $400.00. The few times I have encountered one since then I have had no funding.

Petrol & Powder
12-03-2014, 10:38 AM
When I tell people that the GP100 (or whatever 38 Special revolver) in my hand is 38 Special only, I get a weird look and generally the question, "why would you want that?" :? ! I even had one guy tell me that I could get a .357 reamer and "correct" that deficiency!

That 38 Spl./half lug GP-100 is a great combination. Strong, durable with good weight & balance.
I think you'll be very pleased with it.

Lonegun1894
12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
I know I wouldn't want a GP-100 in .38 Spl ("only"), but I can understand why you two want them. It does seem like a very practical and handy tool. And with most of the rest of us not wanting them, that just means less competition that you have to fight to get one. I just hope there is enough supply to not make that too much of a pain for y'all goofy unenlightened lovable brothers-in-arms of ours. :kidding:

Petrol & Powder
12-03-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm glad you lovers of excessively long chambers are not depleting the supply of appropriately chambered revolvers. That results in more civilized revolvers on the market for the unenlightened brothers-in-arms.:-o

Thank You !

FergusonTO35
12-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Unfortunately alot of .38's now sell for more than their .357 equivalents. Nice S&W 67's that are not tired LE guns go for over $500.00, as does the aforementioned Ruger KGPF-840.

Today I put a like new Taurus 82 in layaway jail. It's not a Ruger but it is big, heavy, and .38 only. I figger I can shoot it on the range and carry while hunting to save wear on my Service Six as they feel almost the same in the hand, even have the same smooth trigger pull.

Lonegun1894
12-04-2014, 02:17 AM
For what it's worth, I'm slowly learning. 15 years ago, I considered the .357 Mag to be a puny little joke of a caliber, and the .44 Mag was just barely into the territory of what a carry gun should be, but on the light side of that scale. Fast forward to today, and having seen the performance of various weapons both in hunting and in social situations, and I have a whole new respect for things like the .38 Spl. And anyone who laughs at your choice, well, they just haven't seen the things I have seen. I still consider the FMJ 9mm a joke, but have grown to realize that while I don't have any use for a 9mm FMJ with the round nose, or the .38 Spl with a round nose, the fault of that is in the round nose itself, cause if you load the .38 with a nice flat nose or a HP, it gets to be a very respectable round that does what it needs and doesn't abuse the shooter doing it. Almost makes me want to try the 9mm with a FN, but not quite enough to go off and actually give that little bugger a chance. I mean, if it was to actually work, I might have to start respecting the .32 ACP too, or even the .25 ACP, and that's just not a slippery slope I'm willing to go down. I mean, everyone knows that the .25 ACP and the 9mm quit being lethal when antibiotics became common, but they sure did kill a lot of people back in their day, mostly by infection. :)

Petrol & Powder
12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
:smile: It's funny how opinions of cartridges change when something bigger comes along.
45 Schofield - 45 Colt - 454 Casull - 460 S&W Magnum - ?
38 Long Colt - 38 Special - .357 Magnum - .357 Maximum - ?
44 Russian -44 Special - 44 Magnum, ?

When compared to their contemporaries, the 45 Colt, 44 Special and 38 Special were the "magnums" of their day.
I have a few revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum and I can shoot that round just fine however I prefer shooting the 38 Special.

And Lonegun you are wise in your avoidance of that slippery slope. When you go from .357" all the way down to .355" there's no stopping. ;-)

FergusonTO35
12-04-2014, 01:08 PM
For a time I was casting and reloading more .32 Auto than all the others!

Tristan
12-05-2014, 08:20 PM
The explanation I was told by Ruger's engineers, when I visited the plant as the government's Quality Assurance Representative, was that the Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six platform was more labor intensive to assemble and fit, and that to enable full parts interchangibility would have required complete retooling and regaging.

The decision to adapt the basic Redhawk design to simplied production resulted in the Super Redhawk, GP100, SP101 lines. The days of a revolver as a primary police handgun were over by 1986 and they ran an estimated supply of spare parts to service the old revolver line for 20 years. Those spares are all but gone now. My Service Six was factory rebuilt in 2005 and I was told they were scraping the bottom of the barrel then.

This being the case, it would be great if Ruger (the company) produced a Security-Six sized frame using the Redhawk design, and called it the "New Security Six" or some such...

The GP100 is awesome, and awfully heavy too.

Good Cheer
12-05-2014, 08:24 PM
For a time I was casting and reloading more .32 Auto than all the others!

Did you ever take it duck hunting? Oh, never mind, don't answer that.