PDA

View Full Version : Square Deal B Re-tapped??

1989toddm
05-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Is there any feasible reason I couldn't re-thread the die plate in my square deal to accept 7-14 dies?

Alvarez Kelly
05-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Yes. They won't fit. The whole press is designed completely differently than any that uses 7/8" x 14 dies.

Alvarez Kelly
05-15-2014, 07:36 PM
FYI. One of the early Dillon 450 Jr presses used the 7/8" x 14 decap sizing die but the other dies were the Square Deal types.

1989toddm
05-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Just so I know we understand each other, I'm talking about drilling and tapping the existing holes bigger. Still centered over the shell plate.

Alvarez Kelly
05-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Well... you can always try it, but even if you can jamb them in there, I believe you will find there is not enough room to install or tighten die nuts.

jmorris
05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
They won't fit centered over the shell plate. A 7/8-14 die would be .4375 from the center to the OD put another one right beside it and you are at .875 center to center (with the threads touching one another). On an SD the dies are around .850 center to center.

1989toddm
05-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Thanks Kelly and Jmorris, that is what I was asking. If only dies werent so expensive!

jmorris
05-16-2014, 01:55 AM
That is one drawback of the SD these days, the two that I have are almost 30 years old but have been rebuilt a few times for only the cost to ship them back to Dillon (they even covered return shipping). Back then the entire machine cost $130 setup for 1 caliber.

1989toddm
05-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Mine is currently in route to Dillon. I called to get the number to write on the box and was told 67.95 to rebuild it. I didnt complain beacuase thats a decent price in comparisson to new price! I just found it interesting after all the raving I've heard about there customer service.

r1kk1
05-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Their customer service is excellent. When you get the press back you will be pleasantly surprised. I had the 1st model SD and they updated/upgraded mine to the B model for around 45 bucks when I was in Arizona. For some progressive rebuild numbers:

Hornady will upgrade the Projector to a new LNL press for 200.00 (there is a thread on this).
Lee will rebuild a progressive press for 50% of suggested retail price.
I have no idea what RCBS will do for their d/c presses or the 2000 when you send it in.

I used to shoot IHMSA and Bowling Pin shoots so the SD got a serious workout. I traded mine for a Star lubrisizer (San Diego model) after Dillon rebuilt mine. I bought my 550 after it started life life as a 450.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I got my press back. It looked brand new. It brought back memories when I did buy it new.

Take care

r1kk1

Alvarez Kelly
05-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Dillon will repair any broken press for free. They will charge for "cleaning and lubricating" your press however. You have to be very specific why you want to return a press. When I needed a really worn out press repaired, I had to explain to the man on the phone that I wasn't asking for a cleaning/lubricating job. Finally he saw the light. Some reps are better than others.

MtGun44
05-17-2014, 01:02 AM
No room for dies and locknuts.

Bill

Walter Laich
05-17-2014, 09:54 AM
I've found sdb dies here as well as ebay of a bit less than new. On the bright side, they never wear out, course most dies never wear out :)

jmorris
05-17-2014, 10:35 AM
You wouldn't need lock nuts if there were enough room to center the dies over the shell plate. A simple set screw would work to keep them from rotating.

If you had a lathe, you might be able to turn down a 7/8-14 die set to fit and work in an SD. Once you got done with the first set, the Dillon dies would look like a better deal.

Alvarez Kelly
05-17-2014, 01:25 PM
OP has 1st choice of any or all:

I have Square Deal conversion/die kits available. Each has the shellplate, the funnel, 3 dies, 2 seating stems, and the 3 brass buttons. $67 per kit, shipped.

I have 9mm (SPF), 45ACP(SPF) and 38/357 kits.

UPDATE:
The OP has passed on these.

Don't post in this thread if you want these. PM me! The 9mm and 45ACP sets are SPF.

1989toddm
05-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I like the set screw idea but probably won't take the risk of messing up a die plate at this time. Alvarez Kelly the set I am interested in is .40 S&W right now. That is a generous offer!

On the Dillon CS note, I enclosed a USMO already for the above amount..do you think there is any chance I can talk them into not cashing it and sending it back? Lol I have my doubts!

Also since I sent a check that apparently is for cleaning and lubricating...will the priming issue get fixed?

Alvarez Kelly
05-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I like the set screw idea but probably won't take the risk of messing up a die plate at this time. Alvarez Kelly the set I am interested in is .40 S&W right now. That is a generous offer!

On the Dillon CS note, I enclosed a USMO already for the above amount..do you think there is any chance I can talk them into not cashing it and sending it back? Lol I have my doubts!

Also since I sent a check that apparently is for cleaning and lubricating...will the priming issue get fixed?

Since you mailed the payment, I doubt you are going to get it back, but... they will totally go through your press. You may not even recognize it. They generally replace all the priming parts, along with everything else that might wear. You will be very happy when it comes back.

Sorry I couldn't help with the 40S&W set. :-)

1989toddm
05-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Since you mailed the payment, I doubt you are going to get it back, but... they will totally go through your press. You may not even recognize it. They generally replace all the priming parts, along with everything else that might wear. You will be very happy when it comes back.

Good news, I like the sound of a brand new press for 100 bucks including shipping. No problem AK thanks!

1989toddm
06-03-2014, 11:50 PM

Well got the press in FedEx today and WOW ITS BRAND NEW!! Tried a shell and everything is set correctly..even seated my boolit to the right depth! I'm impressed with Dillons work, even if I paid for it. I know they fixed more than I paid for.

Alvarez Kelly
06-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Well got the press in FedEx today and WOW ITS BRAND NEW!! Tried a shell and everything is set correctly..even seated my boolit to the right depth! I'm impressed with Dillons work, even if I paid for it. I know they fixed more than I paid for.

Yep. That's the usual response when Dillon rebuilds a press. :-)