PDA

View Full Version : hubel sabots and minies range results

Hogtamer
05-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Review: After lots of reading and inquiries, decided to pursue home-rolled saboted rounds in a rifled 870 express. Thanks much to all who have worked and invested time and money in this project, specifically Ed Hubel who actually manufactured the sabots after much trial. I set about acquiring Steel powder, magnum primers (CCI), Hubel sabots, BPI x12x op and 1/4 felt wads. Also, a Lee modern minie .575-440 gr mold and a .575-500 gr traditional minie mold (this mold casts 50 grns overweight for total of 550 grn, ~ 1 1/4 oz). Both cast excellent slugs from COWW that I smelted but diameter @ .577 - .578. Neither would work in the sabots, creating a bulge in hull that was not chamberable. Big disappointment. So I brought out the dremel tool as I had some little "drum sander" attachments that accomplished exactly what I needed to do: grind off the internal lip midway down the sabot that is apparently designed to "click" into a minie groove and hold it securely. Quick and easy but having taken off some material I was unsure that the sabot was then thick enough to engage the rifling as designed. Got my answer today.
First load was Federal 2 3/4 hull, 45 grs Alliant Steel w/CCI magnum 209 primer, x12x op wad, 1/4" felt cushion, 440 modern minie in sabot, 6 pt crimp. Shot off hood of truck with foam padding for a rest. All following shots were measured 57 yds, odd distance but just eyeballed it till after I shot. BOOM!!! The load gets your attention and is not for those averse to heavy recoil. That shot is the well centered orange mark. I flinched like a dog on the second shot (orange mark to the left).
2nd load (the 3 blue marks) were 3" Federal hulls, same primer, 50 grs Steel, same wads and cushion, same slugs and good 6 pt crimp. I'm thinking this is gonna hurt, so doubled a jacket behind recoil pad and leaned in hard. I don't have much eye relief on current scope and it was a close call! Tapped bridge of nose but managed to not jerk too bad.
3rd load (the 2 pale yellow marks) were Remington 3" hulls, same set-up except 550 grn traditional minie. I thought this is REALLY gonna hurt and I wasn't disappointed. I'm sure I jerked the trigger pretty bad both times. The 2nd of these loads nailed me on the bridge of the nose (no blood but eye-watering and worth a little mild cussin). Called it a day on that note. Intention was to shoot at 100 yds too, but coming off the powder charge before that happens. The next test will be 45 grns or less in 3" hulls with both slugs. Other than a little bruising I was elated with the result. From a good rest and a more moderate charge it looks like the quest will be most satisfactory.
A word abot scopes on shotguns : average mounts won't take the punishment, and I'll be getting a shorter scope with more eye relief - borrowed this old Redfield off my 270. I've got 5 screws in the base tapped into the receiver. The regular ring mount screws kept jarring loose so I tapped 4 bigger screws to hold that on....looks like heck but substantial enough, finally. The millet red dot I tried initially didn't hack it.

cpileri
05-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Glad they worked.
Did you recover any sabots to examine?

Ill dremel out mine to allow use of the modern minies now.
C-

Hogtamer
05-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Only one of the sabots seemed undamaged. The rest had 2 petals sheared off. Not sure how to interpret that though....any ideas? Both the op and felt wads could be used again. I'll not load over 45 grns powder again. The hulls seemed fine, no big pressure signs.

Hogtamer
05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Only one of the sabots seemed undamaged. The rest had 2 petals sheared off. Not sure how to interpret that though....any ideas? Both the op and felt wads could be used again. I'll not load over 45 grns powder again. The hulls seemed fine, no big pressure signs. BTW, AJ said the 45 gr with the 440 minie is ~ 1700 fps!

hubel458
05-17-2014, 11:16 PM
All the minies I use fit below or I make them fit below the little rib inside,

and that is best to keep sabot undamaged, just like REM did it in accutip;

best one is the old style lyman in 440 or 490 gr or ones like it. .575" best.

All the most sccurate factory ones, slug is down in behind a rib and roll crimp.

I have others where the little rib lines up with a high spot land on the

minie and I just take high land down so it still fits behind the inside rib.

Removing insude rib may allow slug to shift. I only roll crimp. All my sabot

loads came out ok, all petals stay on. I try to use 4759 if I can get in

enough like 80 gr,

Could you check barrel if it is hastings rifled, may be tight like the guy with tight
hasting on his abolt who had to go to 4759 to keep from tearing
up sabots and get good accuracy.Ed

Hogtamer
06-01-2014, 06:13 AM
Ed, do you have a couple of the LYman Old style Minie .460's you could send me to check the fit before I buy yet another mold?

hubel458
06-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Yes- I can send you a half dozen of lyman old styles, .575" I have here.
Pm me your address. Ed

Hogtamer
06-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Back to the big lead in sabots, I took 5 loads to test today out of rifled, scoped 870. Finally have slugs that fit: beautiful Lyman 575-460 Old Style Minies. Mine actually drop @ 495 grns, so about 1 1/8 oz. Couldn't resist trying Longshot powder and loaded 5 with 33 grns in 2 3/4 federal hull with the internal ridge on the savots reamed out, an x12x op wad and one 1/4" felt cushion. All shots @ 85 yds. the miserable results are the blue circles in the pic. The sabots were badly twisted. No good.

The 2nd loads were loaded with the sabots intact and 34 grns LSHT. Tough recoil, sabots still twisted. The 3 shots highlighted in pink tell a better tale with unaltered wads all left. So much for Longshot. :arrow:Finally, sucess! The 3rd load is a 2 3/4" federal hull with 40 grns of Alliant Steel over a magnum primer. Sabots looked good, recoil stout but manageable and a 3" group off hood of truck not bad. The yellow marks are a 3" group @ 85 yds. very good and a powerful load.:razz:
"Number 4 load was a bust. 41 grns of Steel are not enough in a 3" federal hull. Number 5 was 42 grns Steel out of 3" Remington hull with magnum primer. X12x op + 2 felt 1/4" wads. Big recoil, only 1 of 5 shots acceptable, high and scattered. Whew, a lot like work.
:arrow:
I do have a load it seems that is accurate, powerful but manageable recoil that will take down anything on 4 legs, maybe 4 wheels! More magnum primers and I'll continue testing with this load at longer ranges.:razz:

hubel458
06-28-2014, 02:43 AM
I finally got some old style sent to you, they are the 440 gr lyman OS

A bull barrel NEF with full loads of 4759( 3" case 80gr) put them all in

nearly same hole at 30yds. please try 4759...

Hard to beat a bull barrel and 4759..

There is a guy on AR trying to get a 600 to be accurate with lead bullets

using too fast a powder in his particular gun. Got to go slower powder.

The steel powder is about same construction as 4759. just 4759

slower and I showed improvement with targets in other thread of fellow who

went from fast powder to slower 4759...Ed

Hogtamer
06-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Ed, look at the last post again and read what I highlighted about the 3rd load....Frankly that's all the recoil I can take to the woods and I have to be well braced to do that. That group is from 85 yds leaning across hood of truck, not a precision set-up. I'm pretty happy with that load and next time will try to shoot them off a sled to really zero them in. One question though, does it really matter whether a roll or star crimp is used? I'm getting a good star crimp with that load. And I've read through the whole thread a couple of times and it seems that nobody's testing these things at much beyond 50 yds. Again we're indebted to you for all your amazing effort in this regard and once again here's the exact set up:

CCI 209M primer in Federal 2 3/4 premium hull; 40 grns weighed Steel; X12X BPI gas seal; 1/4 " BPI felt wad; sabot coated with wad slick holding the .575213 Lyman 460 gr Minie; 6 pt star crimp.

Out of an off-the-shelf pump shotgun (870 Express rifled barrel with added weight in the stock) is it realistic to expect any better? THANK YOU!

cpileri
07-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Hogtamer,
I finally tested your loads in my rifled 870, here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?246728-Tested-Hogtamer-Loads-at-100yds-with-pictures&p=2842027#post2842027
C-