PDA

View Full Version : A long, sad three weeks.

theperfessor
05-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Three weeks ago Thursday I started working with my nephew to teach him basic machining and shop work, specifically at first to run some batch production on my CNC lathe. We were going to get going again the next Monday afternoon. My father (90 yrs old) called about 1 pm that Monday and said that Mom (93 yrs old) had collapsed at home from a massive stroke and was in the ICU at the local hospital. To make a long story short mother was in the ICU for four days, then transferred to a hospice within the hospital. She died there last Friday and we buried her yesterday.

Unfortunately my oldest and most loved cat died the day after my mother's stroke. I knew she was dying from kidney failure, we had done everything possible, and so the last two weeks were mostly me holding her on my lap and trying to get her to eat and drink to keep her alive another day. The vet said she wasn't in pain, she just slowed down and died. I was pretty well prepared emotionally for her death. I wasn't prepared at all for my mother's death. (She was really dead the minute the stroke hit, but her body hung on for almost two weeks.)

Luckily my BIL and his second wife (my sister died years ago from ALS) came in to help, and my two nieces and a nephew (different from above) plus my wife, son and his wife were around to help out with things material and emotional.

I'm pretty well over the strongest emotions, I've shed lots of tears over lots of things. I'm going to take the next few days to sort out how to deal with Dad once all the relatives leave town and it's just me and my wife to take care of him as best we can. It's been pretty frustrating because of my foot problems, I could not even be a pallbearer at the funeral, and had to be pushed in a wheelchair through the hospital; I tried to use crutches and barely made it 50 yds and almost collapsed. Feeling pretty useless at times. At least my foot is still healing and each day amputation becomes less and less likely.

Next week we are getting back to work. I think the best thing I can do is try to resume some sort of useful activity and think about something else. As I resume production of specific items I will post in the Casting Equipment section. My nephew and I have a batch of parts to run that are promised to a friend and then we are going to start running some blank Lyman/RCBS sizng dies. We'll see how everything works out and go from there.

CastingFool
05-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear that, it's always hard losing a loved one. I'm praying for you right now, that the Lord wrap his loving arms around you and give you comfort, guide you to make the right decisions for both your family and yourself. He knows you better than anyone else, and knows what is best for you, ask Him, and He will give you guidance. In Jesus's Name, I pray.

gray wolf
05-15-2014, 07:19 PM
My friend, and I mean that, Julie and I send our deepest condolences to you and your family.
We are very sorry to hear about your Moms passing and the loss of you Kitty.

Sam & Julie

Pb2au
05-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, there are never enough words to comfort.

missionary5155
05-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Howdy perfessor
I will be praying for these new burdens. Things do get heavy from time to time.
Mike in Peru

**oneshot**
05-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your Mother.

clintsfolly
05-15-2014, 08:37 PM
You and your,s have my good thoughts. Hang in there Clint

smoked turkey
05-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Boy you have been in the grinder lately. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. It will be a tough time for you, your family and especially your dad. I pray that you will be physically up to the challenge of dealing with all the issues that are part of losing a parent.

MrWolf
05-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother, my condolences.

Sweetpea
05-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Prayers for you and your family...

Hang in there, Keith...

xs11jack
05-15-2014, 10:07 PM
My condolences also. And for you cat too. When things like this happen, get as close to the Lord as you can, and hang on.
Ole Jack

Magana559
05-15-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. It must be difficult but me must let the Lord give us strength.
Your mother is in a better place now.

smokeywolf
05-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Keith, awfully sorry to hear about your mom. Take care of dad; I know you will. No matter how prepared you think you are, you can never truly ready yourself for the loss of a loved one; that includes a pet.

My thoughts, my sympathy is with you.

smokeywolf

MaryB
05-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Sorry for your losses, one after another can hit hard. Lost my dad last summer.

mikeym1a
05-15-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm very sorry for the losses that you have suffered. I will pray that you be given the strength to overcome, and go forward. mikey

mhat
05-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Sorry to hear of your losses. I'll add you and your family to my prayers,

Mark

TXGunNut
05-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Well, you knew this would be a tough year but even with the additional burdens I know you're strong enough to get thru this. Thoughts and prayers from this bunch won't hurt, I'll be adding mine.

OeldeWolf
05-16-2014, 02:03 AM
Perfessor:

You have my sympathy and prayers. I know how it is when the tragedies all seem to come one after the other, nonstop. Aside from religion, a firm determination and lots of work always helped me.

Catshooter
05-16-2014, 04:16 AM
Yikes! That's a lot happening in such a short timeline. I'm sorry to hear of it.

I do agree that getting back into production would be a good thing for you and your morale.

Cat

Wis. Tom
05-16-2014, 08:01 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you through this trying time, and also sent out to your family. God bless.

WILCO
05-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Prayers for you and your family...

Hang in there, Keith...

Ditto for me. Stay strong.

searcher4851
05-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Condolences to you and your family.

Teddy (punchie)
05-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Sorry for your losses. Praying you continue to heal , both body and soul.

Uncle R.
05-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Perfessor:
Heartfelt condolences to you. You've certainly been through a rough time and face trials yet to come dealing with the material issues and your dad's care. It's all been said - stay strong, know there are people who care about you and remember to be good to yourself through all this.
Uncle R.

Maven
05-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Keith, I'm so very sorry to learn of this. You'll be in my thoughts.

Paul

wch
05-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Perfessor,
Consider that the immediate worst is over and that the answers to your questions will be made known to you through the Almighty.
I send my prayers for you and yours.

brstevns
05-16-2014, 10:31 AM
I am so sorry for the passing of your Mother and your little Kitty. Know just how much it hurts. I just lost a nephew a week ago and I am still trying to deal with it. The Lord is Good and will help you, this I know. God Bless you Sir, I will keep you in my prayers.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Oh My, quite the stacked deck.
Prayers sent for you and your family.
What helps is the blessings that you were surrounded with family.

DR Owl Creek
05-16-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm Very Sorry for your loss!

Dave

Psalm 116: 1-19

blackthorn
05-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Gail and I wish to extend out deepest sympathy during this trying time. While time does not heal, it does allow the pain to dull. Hang in there.

dragonrider
05-16-2014, 12:01 PM
My condolences on the loss of your Mom, and I understand about your cat, buried my last pet just before winter, wife says no more.

Hamish
05-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Keith, I have started a post three different days, but
I have a hard time saying what I want to, so, I'll just that I am praying for you and your family my friend.

trys357
05-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Very sad to hear.
Prayers sent for you and your family.

Hickok
05-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Prayers for the peace and comfort only Jesus can give in this time loss in your life.

jcwit
05-16-2014, 01:46 PM
So sorry for your losses, May God stand by you in this time of grief.

God Bless!

HollandNut
05-16-2014, 07:23 PM
lost my dad in 1999 , was tough , ma just turned 87 Apr 28th , I dread the day I get the call on her

IN Our Prayers

Jack

Le Loup Solitaire
05-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Heartfelt condolences and best wishes for your recovery from these tragic events. LLS

Para82
05-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Really sorry about your Mom. Lost my 13 yr old German Shepherd last Oct and my Mother in December. Lost Dad in 98. Hope you find some peace.

RED333
05-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Yall are in my prays Bro

MtGun44
05-16-2014, 11:47 PM
Kieth,

Sorry to hear about all the bad news piling on at the same time. Best wishes for
your own health to stay on the uptrend. Losing your mother is really hard, I remember
when I lost mine, it was really difficult, even though she had a chronic disease which we
knew would take her eventually. Still sad. I hope your Dad takes it well, it was extremely
hard on my Dad, he never really recovered and went back to doing the things he did
before Mom took sick.

Best wishes and I'll say a prayer for your health - both physical and mental. Stressful times,
hang in there, sir.

Bill

2thepoint
05-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Keith,
sorry to hear about your losses....my condolences

7br
05-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Three weeks ago Thursday I started working with my nephew to teach him basic machining and shop work, specifically at first to run some batch production on my CNC lathe.

I am sorry for your loss. My dad passed last year and it was rough on me. I will be a wreck when my mother passes. Dad taught me about work, but Mom is still teaching me about life. In my family, the time you are spending with your nephew would be considered one of the most fitting monuments to your mother. You are giving him something that can never be taken away.

snuffy
05-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Kieth, for a while let the Lord carry you;

The Footprints Prayer

One night I had a dream...

I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord, and Across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; One belonged to me, and the other to the Lord. When the last scene of my life flashed before us, I looked back at the footprints in the sand. I noticed that many times along the path of my life, There was only one set of footprints.

I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life This really bothered me, and I questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, You would walk with me all the way; But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, There is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why in times when I needed you the most, you should leave me.

The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child. I love you, and I would never, never leave you during your times of trial and suffering. When you saw only one set of footprints, It was then that I carried you.

Wayne Smith
05-18-2014, 01:31 PM
I grieve with you Keith. We lost Mom to ALS years ago but I still think of her. Yes, doing what you can does make life easier. Feeling helpless does not encourage healing!

w5pv
05-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Sorry for your loses,prayers sent for your burdens to be lifted,remember your mother everyday and the good times.

doc1876
05-19-2014, 11:11 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss,Loosing a mother is real hard. Mom was 57 when she passed, and I so many regrets of thing I did not get to say. Good luck with the nephew.