PDA

View Full Version : old lyman press

hickfu
05-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Hey guys, there is a guy selling this old lyman press for 100. is it worth it? I have only ever used a single stage press and wanted to upgrade without having to spend 500 for a new progressive.

Doc

mikeym1a
05-15-2014, 01:12 PM
I'd like to have one, but have no idea as to what they go for. At present, $100 is out of my range. mikey

Rattlesnake Charlie
05-15-2014, 01:16 PM
It is probably worth $100. The Lyman site lists their T-mag press for $275.

But, it is still a single stage press. You just have the option of leaving your dies in place. I use a Lyman turret when developing new loads as I can load 10 of each flavor then switch to a new flavor. You won't be increasing rounds loaded per hour much.

BruceB
05-15-2014, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Rattlesnake Charlie;2780472]

But, it is still a single stage press. You just have the option of leaving your dies in place. QUOTE]

This is a common misconception.

If a turret press is USED as a turret press, it offers a useful increase in production rate.

This means that when a case is placed in the press, it STAYS in the press until it is completely loaded. The turret is rotated to bring the proper die around for the function required. Naturally, the dies and measure have to be mounted in the correct positions to allow this progression.

Station One... resize, decap, reprime.

Station Two....flare case mouth

Station Three.....charge powder (from the measure MOUNTED IN THE TURRET)

Station Four ... seat bullet and crimp, or

Station Five.... crimp completed round and remove (if crimp was not applied while seating bullet)

I've used a Lyman turret press for upwards of fifty years, and it increased my production radically from the day I put it in service. Production of normal handgun rounds runs close to two hundred per hour without much effort, which is a good deal higher than running "batches" of cases through each step before moving on to the next step in the loading process.

The press illustrated is called the "Spar-T", and it's derived from the earlier single-station "Spartan".

When I had one of these, I added three knobs on bolts, spaced around the circumference of the turret. These protruded about 2.5 inches, and made the rotation of the turret far easier for my hands.... it was quite stiff.

That press still labors happily in the shop of a close friend,

I agree that the press is worth the hundred dollars. It uses standard shellholders, which earlier Lyman presses do not.

kungfustyle
05-15-2014, 02:14 PM
I'd buy it...

Char-Gar
05-15-2014, 02:14 PM
I am glad Bruce got here before me, it kept me from having to say.."No it is not single stage press, it is a turret press.", and used exactly as Bruce described. That is not a die storage rack on top.

seagiant
05-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Hi,
Everyone is different. I don't care for turrets using them like that as I get tired of the constant flipping back and forth! The $100 price is high to me but then I'm a child of the 70's and EVERYTHING is high to me!

44Vaquero
05-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Char-Gar:

You made Coffee come out of my nose with this little kernel of wisdom;

I am glad Bruce got here before me, it kept me from having to say.."No it is not single stage press, it is a turret press.", and used exactly as Bruce described. That is not a die storage rack on top.

woody1
05-15-2014, 02:35 PM
What CharGar and BruceB said. Mine also has "handles" that I added. Note, I said "mine," Yes and I still use it a lot. With a Lyman 55 mounted with the dies you can put out a lot of loads in a short time. Regards, Woody

hickfu
05-15-2014, 03:04 PM
LOL, I guess I didnt word that correctly... I know its still a single stage press. I was just looking at it for something to setup for my 6.5x57, 7mm Mag and 300 Sav. I have 2 die sets for them so I could set all of them on 1 press and just turn it to load what I wanted.

I think I will contact the seller to see if he will take 75...

Doc

magic mike
05-15-2014, 03:18 PM
I have had mine for at least forty years and it now resides on my bench where it is loaded up with decapping/sizing dies. It sees a lot of action. I have everything for it that came with it when I bought brand new. Finally did break the handle off due to metal fatigue but was able to locate a guy in MO that makes replacements so she's back up and running. I wouldn't take a hundred bucks for it.

BruceB
05-15-2014, 03:22 PM
LOL, I have 2 die sets for them so I could set all of them on 1 press and just turn it to load what I wanted.
Doc

So, you missed everything we were trying to tell you?

Do as you see fit, but you'll be missing the huge advantages of a TURRET press by TREATING it like a single-stage.

Same as the people who do everything they can to their brass, sizing, priming etc.... and THEN run it through a progressive to charge powder and seat bullets. Why have a progressive machine if you're not going to USE it?

Why have a turret, if you-re not going to USE its capabilities?

Chargar is dead right.... that's not a die-storage rack on top.

youngmman
05-15-2014, 03:34 PM
I've been using a Turret press for at least 20 years. The first was a Redding T25 and now a T-7 that I wouldn't trade for anything. I do save time over a typical single stage press in a couple of ways: First, I size then turn the head and expand the case. Second, I clean the primer pockets separately and prime the case with a RCBS automatic tool. Third, through the charge in the cases then seat and crimp with the press. All the processes could be done with the press alone but I like some of the separate operations and no press mounted priming tools is worth a *(^&)(&*_), in my personal opinion.

For what it's worth, Brownell's says the Redding T-7 is the only turret they would recommend. If the condition is ok $100 is pretty good and you can buy additional heads, Lyman makes good products in my view.

hickfu
05-15-2014, 03:34 PM
BruceB, I didnt miss anything you guys were telling me... I just work with what I have and I have never had a powder throw and I dont crimp these rounds so I only need 2 spaces to work with my dies. I am not out for increased productivity as I am disabled and have to go slow anyway. I like to cast boolits and reload to relax and I dont do it often enough because I cant physically do it often. Its not a race for me to finish 40 7mm rounds, I weigh each charge twice.. once on a digital and then on my beam scale to make sure. If I wanted to go faster then I would just buy one of the new fangled wiz-bang progressives out there that people make 1000's of rounds an hour on.

Doc

GOPHER SLAYER
05-15-2014, 06:51 PM
I have two Lyman "T" presses and the only change I made was to add handles. I paid 35 bucks for the first one and got the second one much cheaper when I bought a collection of reloading gear in a yard sale. They do not have the leverage that my Rock Chuckers do but I don't use them for the heavy work anyway. My complaint about them is the slant they have. I see the one you pictured is in much better shape than mine. If I where you I would jump on it with both feet.

hickfu
05-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Well the guy sold it... dang it, I guess I just trudge along changing out dies all the time :(

Gopher Slayer, I noticed the slant and was already looking around for some metal to shape like a wedge so I could make it sit up straight.

Doc

GOPHER SLAYER
05-16-2014, 12:58 AM
It would not be difficult to make what you describe, in fact Pacific you to offer just such an adapter.

FLINTNFIRE
05-19-2014, 01:00 AM
I just picked one up here along with a 55 measure , and the gentleman threw in a set of lyman 30-30 dies in a black cardboard lyman box stamped from the factory at $11.50 , he was asking around $100.00 for it all , I thought it was a decent deal and I have always wanted one of these , one of my earliest exposures to reloading was an older railroad engineer who did it in his kitchen with an old 55 measure watching him flip the knocker at every up and down stroke , was like magic ,I was hooked , more shooting , roll my own , hope you find another one for sale .

MR835
05-22-2014, 12:10 PM
I have 2 SPAR-T presses that I have used 55 years. Bought two years before my son was born and he will be 53 in june. Still use it today along with a couple of TMAG 2s. Properly cared for I think the will out live me, And I am 79 and still shooting and reloading.

If you haven't bought it. BUY IT NOW.

SAFE SHOOTING ALWAYS

MR835 IS GONE

Dframe
05-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Bruceb and MR835 are just a bit ahead of me. I've only been using my old Spar-T regularly for 45 years or so (bought it used in 1968). Yes buy it. The only thing I've EVER replaced on mine is the primer arm and Lyman sent me a new one free when the spring broke.