PDA

View Full Version : Gardiner Solder Lead Alloy - What's the mix?

R.Gardner
05-15-2014, 12:14 PM
I have a quantity of lead bars. Each weighs 1 1/2 lbs. They are marked Gardiner Solder on the top and the number "333" is stamped on the bottom. My guess is that they are 50/50 tin/lead since they came from an automotive body shop. I just want to be sure before I start mixing up some #2 alloy. Does anybody know or know where I can find out?

Gardiner Metals went out of business some years ago and there is nothing specific on the MSDS site.

Thanks

Dusty Bannister
05-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Obtain another sample ingot of known 50/50 solder. Place the known sample and the unknown sample in a vise, with a small ball bearing between the flat surfaces of the samples. Squeeze sufficiently to leave a decent impression in the samples. Remove from the vise and examine and measure the indents. If identical, they are both 50/50. If the Gardiner solder sample is smaller, it contains more tin. Dusty

Defcon-One
05-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Or cast one bullet out of known 50/50 solder and one out of the Gardiners solder in the same mold cavity at same temp. If they weigh the same then you have your answer.

If not, you'll have to do some math!

NewbieDave007
05-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Or cast one bullet out of known 50/50 solder and one out of the Gardiners solder in the same mold cavity at same temp. If they weigh the same then you have your answer.

If not, you'll have to do some math!

Lol. You should point him to the math you explained in the other thread. Good job btw.