PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 14 Sight Options?

Three44s
05-15-2014, 11:41 AM
I have a Model 14 (in .25 Rem.) that I want to put a receiver sight on.

I know about tangs but I want a more solid arrangement and won't be firing at long range with.

The only D&T I see on this rifle is the metal that stays with the butt stock when you break it down. There are two screw holes there (plugged with regular headed screws) and I believe they fit the pattern of a Redfield receiver sight I have seen a picture of by a member on this forum.

I see that Williams still puts out a sight ......... Does this one mount on the receiver (proper) or that rear piece I just described?

A vintage (steel) Lyman sight would suit the heck out of me if it did not take a whole bank full of O'bama bills to pay for it. But I don't know what number I am looking for.

The Lyman would be better in that I would move it around more for J-word to Cast boolit shooting ........ but it's not mandatory.

My rifle is not collector grade ....... the blueing is not up to that standard ...... AND I bought this rifle expressly to peep sight! (I have a '94 Win in .25-35 win that's also a saddle ring model that the gunsmiths are not wanting to do the "deed" to and after they showed me the values ........ well, I agree.)

Best regards

Three 44s

Mk42gunner
05-15-2014, 05:06 PM
I think the Lyman sight # is R14, and I am not sure Redfield or Pacific ever made sights for these rifles. They probably did, but I have no idea of the model numbers.

Going from memory, the receiver is thinner on the Remington pumps than on a lever action, so I don't think a flat sided sight meant for the Win 94 would look very good, even if it could be fitted.

Robert

Char-Gar
05-15-2014, 06:16 PM
The Lyman peep mounts using those two small screws you noted on the back of the receiver. They are getting pricey but can be found on Ebay and other sites. Any model 14 in 25 Remington is very collectable. Drilling holes in the receiver will degrade the price quite a bit, even though the blue is worn. The price of the Lyman R14 will be cheap compared to the price of a new sight, having the receiver drilled and tapped and taking a hit on the value of the rifle.

Three44s
05-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Robert,

Thank you again. I will watch for that R14 and see if that's it.

I saw a picture of a what is believed to be a Redfield peep with the two holes side by side but the member that posted it says it's actually mounted on the receiver (proper) rather than holes like on my rifle that are in the metal that the butt stock fastens into.

Char-gar,

I appreciate your caution on not wrecking the value on this rifle ....... but I gave the asking price of only $250 (consigned through a gun shop) for it. It's not a cream puff but not a fence post either. A good working gun ........ and I will try to get the right sight .... I have a call into a fellow named Gary Fellers that lists a lot of sights and shows a Redfield model 102-B for the Rem 14 etc. Have not heard back yet. I'll see what develops before I do anything "rash".

Best regards and thanks!

Three 44s

jrmartin1964
05-16-2014, 07:50 AM
These are the models of tang-mount sights for the Remington Model 14 (for which your rifle is already factory drilled & tapped):

King - R14
Lyman - R14
Marble - R8
Redfield - R-14

The Redfield No.102 is a receiver sight (mounts to the side of the receiver), and your rifle will have to be D&T to fit.
Jim

Char-Gar
05-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Robert,

Char-gar,

I appreciate your caution on not wrecking the value on this rifle ....... but I gave the asking price of only $250 (consigned through a gun shop) for it. It's not a cream puff but not a fence post either. A good working gun ........ and I will try to get the right sight .... I have a call into a fellow named Gary Fellers that lists a lot of sights and shows a Redfield model 102-B for the Rem 14 etc. Have not heard back yet. I'll see what develops before I do anything "rash".

Best regards and thanks!

Three 44s

The dollar value of the rifle is higher than what you paid. But, that really isn't a consideration. There will never be any more of these rifles made and they are fine example of pre-war American rifle making. You are not the the first owner of the rifle and you will not be the last. Somebody after you will own the rifle and each year there will be fewer of them.

There are so many rifles out there that has no historic or collector's value, that it is a shame to do bad things to the great vintage American rifles.

I owned a Remington 14 in 25 Remington, many years ago and have regretted parting with it for more years that I owned it. I was only 19 when I got the rifle and I drill and tapped it for a Redfield receiver sight. That was one of the stupidest things I have ever done.
It is your rifle now, but there are others who will come after you. We are custodians of them for a time and that is all we are.

cuzinbruce
05-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Hi,
I have a Remington 141 which is just a glorified Model 14. The two screws you are talking about are what is used to mount a tang sight, if that gun can be said to have a tang. Lyman, Marbles, etc. I think at least some of those sights also used a wood screw into the butt stock. I think they are plenty secure, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Bruce

Three44s
05-16-2014, 11:35 AM
An update on my end:

I have not heard back from Gary Fellers who has a long list of sights on the web ........ if someone is looking and wants the link I'll be glad to share.

I don't know what he has in stock nor are there prices posted ...... but according to his list (last updated in May of '12) he lists a lyman and a marbles tang for the Rem 14.

I have seen a picture of what I believe is the Redfield tang installed on this model and I also believe it's worth a try at the tang in this case. If I can get one of these tang sights without undue blood and treasure, that's where I will start. Nothing to lose as I could likely resell it if was not secure enough.

Thanks to all thus far!

Best regards

Three 44s

pietro
05-16-2014, 07:02 PM

Some folks say "tom-ah-to" & some say "to-may-toe"; some folks say "receiver sight" & and some say "tang sight" - on Remington 14/141's and Savage 99's they are samey-samey, using the same factory-prep D/T holes.

Three44s
05-16-2014, 09:18 PM
peitro,

Actually, as I understand it they are different in the case of the Rem 14/141 line.

This rifle has a metal part that stays with the buttstock during takedown and it's factory drilled and tapped. It is there that the tang sights for this model of rifle mount.

The receiver sights (save for one ..... perhaps) are all mounted on the receiver proper and unless previously D&T'ed post manufacture (for that sight), will required drilling and tapping new holes.

I am not sure what a particular Redfield appeture sight I have seen pictures of is classed as ........ tang or receiver as it uses the tang pre-drilled and tapped holes but hangs over the side of the stock as a receiver sight usually does.

But sights such as the currently built Williams mount on the outside of the action or receiver ....... and that involves molesting the rifle.

Best regards

Three 44s

Char-Gar
05-16-2014, 11:57 PM

Some folks say "tom-ah-to" & some say "to-may-toe"; some folks say "receiver sight" & and some say "tang sight" - on Remington 14/141's and Savage 99's they are samey-samey, using the same factory-prep D/T holes..

Not so Pietro. Receiver sights mount on the receiver, usually on one side or the other with an arm that extends over the receiver bridge that holds the peep aperture. Tang sights mount on the top rear of the action with an upright staff that hold the peep aperture. The staff will fold up and down.

Here is a pic of a Redfield 80 that mounts on the side of the Remington pump gun and a Redfield 102 that mounts on the side of the Savage 99 levergun.

I am glad I hauled these sights out for a photo session as I notice the Redfield 80 is picking up a little rust. That will come off tomorrow.

starmac
05-17-2014, 02:53 AM
My M14 was drilled and had a scope on it when I got it. I may not have done it, but I'm glad it was done.

Three44s
05-17-2014, 10:20 PM
starmac,

Me too! If I had the opportunity to trade my unadulterated model to someone with a D&T'ed sample ........ with a little boot back to me ...... they'd have mine and I would have their's!

I still have not heard from the guy with a big inventory of sights (Gary Fellers) ...... I keep watching ebay as well.

My rifle has a better than average rear sight (Marbles) and I will plod along with it and my near sightedness for now but there are limits.

Best regards and thanks to all thus far!

Three 44s

pietro
05-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Not so Pietro. Receiver sights mount on the receiver, usually on one side or the other with an arm that extends over the receiver bridge that holds the peep aperture. Tang sights mount on the top rear of the action with an upright staff that hold the peep aperture. The staff will fold up and down.

Here is a pic of a Redfield 80 that mounts on the side of the Remington pump gun and a Redfield 102 that mounts on the side of the Savage 99 levergun.

I am glad I hauled these sights out for a photo session as I notice the Redfield 80 is picking up a little rust. That will come off tomorrow.

Your comparison isn't relevant to the Remington 14/141 - My point was that, whether a "receiver" peep sight or a "tang" peep sight, all peep sights mount on those rifles, AND the Savage 99, utilizing the same set of factory D/T holes.

In the case of the Savage those holes are in the top/rear of the receiver; with the Remington those holes are atop the tang section that holds the open rear end of the receiver proper and the buttstock.

What I was not referring to, was the ugly practice of aftermarket D/T-ing the side of the Remington 14/141 or Savage 99 receiver for a peep sight.

rking22
05-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Would be nice if Skinner Sights had an adapter for the 14/141, 12/121s ,and model 25. I did some measuring a while back on a 121 and it would be a nice clean setup. I was considering a one off investment cast to make one to use the Skinner sight, just too much to do and no time to do it.

Three44s
05-22-2014, 09:32 AM
rking22,

That's so true: The Skinner sight and the 14/141 would be a perfect marriage!

........ on that time thing also ........... LOL!

Best regards

Three 44s

justashooter
05-24-2014, 10:16 PM
one of my 14 in 35 has a marbles that i paid about a c note for. the other is a "carbine" that was a shop project.

Three44s
05-25-2014, 12:27 PM
It's been said in this thread that I bought my model 14 below market ...... pd $250 for it but I traveled to another gun shop and saw a friend/salesman who's up on this stuff ....... told him about my predicament ....

According to the great blue book, my rifle @ 60 percent is about ...... 250!

At 70 percent they list it @ 300!

Some say I'll commit some agreggess sin by having it D&T'ed ..... and I respectfully offer my unaltered rifle in trade to anyone feeling duely hurt by my plan to have it done so.

My standing challenge is that anyone with a D&T'ed model 14 in .25 Rem. can offer me their similar rifle for mine with some boot.

My salesman/friend said in THIS town ...... a model 14 of it's condition might be worth MORE money D&T'ed.

I bought the gun to suit me so I would not butcher a Win 94 saddle ring .25-35 win. ....... and suit me this Remington will. I am not going to buy yet another rifle and yet find out that someone else's feelings are ????

To justashooter's point, I definitely see high prices with guns in good condition ....... mine's not a "bad" gun ....... but it will never have a high percentage of original blueing ...... that ship sailed way before I ever laid eyes on it .....

Blueing aside, my Rem 14 is a working gun ..... a shooter as we affectionately call them ...... and my eyes rank a higher priority to running a museum for a 60 percent shooter grade.

More over, my rifle has a certain amount of slack in the take down ...... the butt stock metal joint with the rear of the receiver. I'd be kidding myself if I thought I'd gain accuracy with a tang sight ...... I "think" the front bead bobbing up and down would preclude such an outcome. A true receiver sight would avoid that issue.

I have called Gary Fellers TWICE and left messages trying to get info/pricing on his tang sights he lists ....... I think something may have happened to him ........ too bad ....... he's got an impressive list of goodies. I have tried EBAY ...... a lot ........ and spend litteraly hours looking at anything and everything but model 14 Remington tang sights. I know what I'd rather be doing than sitting behind a computer screen ........

Best regards

Three 44s