PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Powder Charge Discrepancy?

JesterGrin_1
05-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Pardon the Dumb Question. But at the moment I am going to load some 30-30 Winchester loads for you guessed it my Winchester 30-30 lol. And I was looking in my Lyman 48th Edition and also the Hodgdon Reloading web site and the Book does not correspond with the same information as Hodgdon's web site information.

So the Dumb Question is which one do you use or do you simply go between the two charges equally. Say one is a starting Gr of 25.0 and the other is a starting Gr of 27.5 would you just go with say 26.0Gr? As 26.25 seems a bit odd lol.

Thank You. [smilie=b:

Lead Fred
05-15-2014, 06:00 AM
it also depends what primer and bullet you use. Those loads are designed for what they say to use.
Thats why you get different amounts

Larry Gibson
05-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Splitting the difference between different starting loads is certainly acceptable.
Many just go with the lowest starting load to be "on the safe side" but most reliable data starting loads are low enough to intentionally already "be on the safe side". BTW; not a "dumb question" at all but rather a smart one for the inexperienced and even experienced reloader to ask. It is always best to start low and work up loads as all reliable data will indicate to do. Good question.

Larry Gibson

Doc Highwall
05-15-2014, 11:49 AM
The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Prospector Howard
05-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Also don't forget that Hodgon and IMR powders are different even though they might have the same " number name". For instance IMR 4895 and Hodgon 4895 are different powders with a different burning rate. I'm not saying you were thinking this, but new reloaders might think they are the same, but they are not.

JesterGrin_1
05-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Splitting the difference between different starting loads is certainly acceptable.
Many just go with the lowest starting load to be "on the safe side" but most reliable data starting loads are low enough to intentionally already "be on the safe side". BTW; not a "dumb question" at all but rather a smart one for the inexperienced and even experienced reloader to ask. It is always best to start low and work up loads as all reliable data will indicate to do. Good question.

Larry Gibson

Larry Thank You. I am not really new to this as I started loading about the same time I joined this site but I have not run into a discrepancy that was 1.5 Gr plus in the recommended starting loads. But even as a brand new reloader I knew to start at the bottom and work up with my loads as it only made sense. Again Thank You as at least I knew I was on the right track. I guess I just needed reassurance that my thinking was correct or at least close lol.

I have always said the same thing. But you know how some people are treated whether it be a veteran reloader or a newbie. :)

Also don't forget that Hodgon and IMR powders are different even though they might have the same " number name". For instance IMR 4895 and Hodgon 4895 are different powders with a different burning rate. I'm not saying you were thinking this, but new reloaders might think they are the same, but they are not.

Good point to bring up. But you are correct I was comparing the same powder from the same manufacturer. In this case it is IMR-3031.

Yodogsandman
05-16-2014, 01:18 AM
Kudos to you for checking your load in more than one load book or source. Then triple checking by asking for help on this site. That's a real good practice! Keep an eagle eye on the maximum load, also. When I first started reloading, I wanted to use H380 with a 140gr jacketed bullet in my 6.5x55. I only looked in one manual for the starting and maximum loads. I worked up in 1 gr increments and started to notice flat primers. I showed it to my ex friend at work who was the only reloader I knew at the time. He said I could keep adding plenty more powder. Well, he turned out to be a hot rod, chuckle head. I found another manual that showed the max load was 3 full grains less and I was already 1 gr over max by this manual! I bought a bullet puller and disassembled the rest of my loads. I've always checked multiple load sources since. So again, good for you for keeping a good eye on the safety of your reloads, it just might save your good eye someday!

trapper9260
05-16-2014, 07:14 AM

How true that is .More ways then one

TXGunNut
05-16-2014, 11:01 PM
I enjoy a light load in a thutty-thutty, mine are mostly just for plinking anyway.

MOcaster
05-17-2014, 12:00 AM
I have always kind of wondered that, too. I have always started with the lowest charge or in the middle because lighter loads seem to be more accurate for me, but it is good to know.

Mr. Gibson, can we put all your knowledge in a book? I think it would save a lot of the questions on this site, both good (like this one) and bad (the ones that are asked over and over). It would probably take a long time to find an answer, though, because there would have to be about 20 books to hold it all.

Doc Highwall
05-17-2014, 10:16 AM
This is one of the things that I like to use Quick Load for. I look for complete powder burning with acceptable pressures and at a velocity range that will work for what I want. Then I compare what Quick Load came up with reloading manuals that I have for safety reasons, kind of like measure twice and cut once.

TXGunNut
05-17-2014, 10:31 AM
IME Lyman is very conservative and the Hodgdon data lists max loads that are often beyond any max level I'm willing to shoot. IIRC I have at least one favorite load that's under Hodgdon's "starting load". With CB's I'm looking for the lowest velocity "sweet spot". I know there's often another one, maybe more, a bit higher but it's generally not necessary for TX deer or hogs-certainly not for paper.

winchester85
05-17-2014, 09:00 PM
i was just loading some 264 win mags the other day. one manual's starting load was higher than another manual's max load!

Doc Highwall
05-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Winchester85, that is when you can suspect a misprint in one of the manuals and hopefully makes you stop and think. Now days we can check a powder manufactures web site for safety reasons.