PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with static cling?

AbitNutz
05-15-2014, 03:38 AM
On some of my plastic funnels and tips I get vicious static cling. Man I wish they would make anything that touches powder out of brass! 'Course, I'd then complain what it costs.

I've seen several ways to deal with it.

1. Ignore it

2. Give it a dusting of graphite powder

3. Use some sort of static spray.

What do you do?

starmac
05-15-2014, 03:40 AM
I use an aluminum funnel. lol At least it is cheaper than brass. lol

BruceB
05-15-2014, 04:00 AM
Either try wiping the funnel with an anti-static dryer sheet, or wash it with detergent in water and let it dry WITHOUT RINSING. We want the soap film to remain on the plastic.

One of these should work.

AbitNutz
05-15-2014, 05:20 AM
Dryer sheets sound like a good idea. There are a couple of plastic widgets that I use a lot that static powder cling drives me...well, a bit nuts. The cool Lyman's funnel pan (http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/scales-measures/powder-pal.php). I mean that thing is the perfect design except powder clings to it like crazy.

And the Dandy Powder Trickler which works stupid good. (http://www.omegapowdertrickler.com). Its only failing is the hopper is plastic and static makes changing powders a pain.

I'm going to try the detergent idea...thanks.

Beagle333
05-15-2014, 05:24 AM
I use StaticGuard. My wife keeps a couple of cans of it at all times for her clothes. Just a quick spray of that on a funnel or tube followed by a quick wipe with a paper towel or rag and I'm good for the whole day.
This stuff (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Static-Guard-Fresh-Scent-Spray-5.5-oz/21092566)

Lead Fred
05-15-2014, 05:58 AM
I use an anti-static mat, you can get them at any computer store or online

bruce drake
05-15-2014, 08:32 AM
static dryer sheets work just fine. I keep a small box on a lower shelf in the garage for the occasional swipe as needed.

Bruce

magic mike
05-15-2014, 10:19 AM
I use graphite spray from CRC. Works just like spray paint. Do it once and your good to go.

Rory McCanuck
05-15-2014, 01:15 PM
I put a used dryer sheet in plastic hoppers, and one in the bottom of the coffee cup I keep my funnel in.
Winters here, especially with baseboard heat are very staticky.
Give stuff a wipe with the sheets, and store them like that and I've had no problems since.

TNsailorman
05-15-2014, 09:01 PM
BruceB nailed it. I have beening using this method for over 45 years now and its still working for me. james

deepskyridge
05-16-2014, 09:38 AM
I use the dryer sheets for plastic parts, I also have the spun aluminum funnels from Midway, they work great.

Gary

MacFan
05-16-2014, 04:29 PM
A vote here for powdered graphite. I brush a light dusting on any plastic or rubber parts that touch powder, no more static and any sliding or pivoting parts are lubed. One dusting lasts a very long time.
Drier sheets work well but I found powder stuck to some of the wax it left behind.

spec234
05-18-2014, 01:07 AM
I've also had good luck using dryer sheets. My wife saves the ones she's already used from the dryer.

When not in use, I place one in my powder measure hoppers. When I start a reloading session, I'll take a dryer sheet and run it over my powder measure and plastic powder funnel.

canyon-ghost
05-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Simple physics, the attraction is a positive charge. You can dissipate it with materials that maintain a negative charge. Common negatives are water (why soapy water works), glass, rubber and metals. I use a small square of gasket material made of natural latex rubber to scape the powder measure and funnel. When the funnel is new, I wash it with hot soapy water and dry a few times. You'd be surprised how some of these things work.

zuke
05-18-2014, 07:22 AM
I picked up one of those "dusting mitt's". You put your hand in it to do dusting. I just put it on,give it all a wipe and when changing powder drop it into the mitt

AbitNutz
05-18-2014, 10:01 AM
I just tried the dryer sheet wipe down of some of the plastic that needs attention. It didn't work as well as I'd hoped. So I moved on to powdered graphite. Ace hardware had 1.76 oz bottles, which for something that weighs almost nothing is quite a lot, for $4.99. I took a small brush and gave gave an offending device a quick coat. While it doesn't look great...it sure as heck works like crazy! Nothing will stick to it. Not one stray kernel of some really fine powders would stick.

I have enough in that bottle to run through a powder measure that's giving me problems...

Rory McCanuck
05-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Works great in door locks too, plus it doesn't thicken up in the cold.

Dave C.
05-21-2014, 06:41 PM
I have 3/8" steel plates drilled and tapped to match all my bench tools, they are grounded so I have no static cling.
The plates are bolted to the bench.

Dave C.

country gent
05-21-2014, 06:55 PM
I have used the dryer sheets off and on some work better than others. Anti static sprays and other liquids will work but require drying times also. A ground wire to a copper rod set 3-4 feet in the ground will work but getting it to where you want is an issue. I have even tied a dryer sheet around the hopper and left it there while using the measure.

Bad Water Bill
05-21-2014, 10:05 PM
SEVERAL years ago I bought a package of "Static Guard" and sealed it in a zip lock bag.

Cut in 1-2" squares which are big enough for any job.

When it no longer works throw it in your tumbler to absorbs lots of those little pieces of junk.

Did I mention that I am cheap er conservative.:smile:

hickfu
05-23-2014, 11:28 AM
I really need to try the dryer sheets... I pour some powder into plastic containers that are labeled what the powder is so I dont accidently ruin a 8lb jug if I pour back into the wrong container. But when ever I put the powder in the container static goes crazy and the powder sticks to the sides and on the top.

Doc

'74 sharps
05-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Saturn Custom Machining funnels are brass and aluminum. Bought them when I started to reload, and have never looked back.