PDA

View Full Version : Switching bbls. on tc's and h&r's.

35 shooter
05-14-2014, 09:04 PM
I have an encore in 35 whelen. I would love to have a few more bbls. for it eventually, but so far the whelen shoots so good i hate to take it off. The one time i took it off to work on bedding a bit it returned to a perfect zero. I only removed a bit of material on the sides of the fore stock.

It surprised me when it came back to zero after being removed. Is that the norm with these rifles or was that just a fluke? I know lot of you have extra bbls. and more experience with this. I've had this one for 2 years now, but just the one bbl.

So i guess i'm asking when you guys switch bbls. do they stay sighted in, or just come back close? If close...how close on average? Thinking about picking up an h&r too so i'm interested in how they do too when switching things around. I'm sure it's best to go to the range each time and check things, but i'm just curious about what folks experiences are that use them like this all the time.

leadman
05-14-2014, 10:12 PM
My Encores and Contenders come back to zero very well if they are reinstalled on the same frame. Changing frames does affect zero at times.
On the Encores and Contenders the tightness of the pin has proven to make a real difference in accuracy. At one time T/C would send out new pins upon request, but don't know is S&W will continue this practice.

35 shooter
05-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks leadman. I only have the one frame. That's exactly the kind if info i was looking for. This is the first break action i've ever owned and have been more than pleased with it. In fact i don't use anything else anymore.

jhalcott
05-14-2014, 10:41 PM
I was really concerned about this Many years ago. I was shooting "sillywets" andwanted another barrel/caliber. I got 5 or 6 barrels together and 3 frames. A jig to hold the frames was built and shooting started. Each barrel was fired for a 5 shot group at 100 yards. Then the barrel was replaced with another one and shot for group. After all the smoke cleared it was found that MOST of the barrels shot equal groups on any frame. There is always a BUT, though! ONE barrel/frame combination would NOT shoot as well as when that barrel was on a different frame! Never did figure out why. IF a barrel shot 1" groups on one frame, it USUALLY did the same on another. That barrel did NOT. 1" groups on 2 frames and 1 1/2 or 2" on the other. The test was tried twice more to verify the results.

35 shooter
05-15-2014, 12:39 AM
jhalcott that makes sense, especially if you consider a hinge pin hole that may be drilled a little off in production as in a little higher or lower or forward or back. I don't know but suspect just a thou. or two difference would put a different pressure on some frames.

Guess i got lucky with mine. I bought the frame and stocks, then got the bbl. seperate. That's interesting though and sounds like these bbl. and frames are much more compatable than i thought they might be. Thanks!

leadman
05-15-2014, 04:37 AM
If the barrels are fairly new along with the frames they do seem to shoot near the same when interchanged. After the pins and barrel lug, frame holes start to wear then things can change for the worse.
I have a couple of frames I had to install the Mike Bellm hinge pins in to get the accuracy back. This recently happened when I was testing Hi-Tek coated cast bullets in my Contender 23" bull barrel. Could not get the accuracy under 2" at 100 yards with the velocity over 3,600 fps. I then tried my jacketed loads that normally shoot 1/2" groups consistently and they were around 1". The 1X pin returned the accuracy of the jacketed loads to 1/2". Haven't tried the cast loads yet.
The Encore Weathershield frame I bought about a year ago was sloppy enough to take a Bellm 1X pin from the start. I think they use some type of chemical to treat the metal as the pin hole was as rough as the outside of the frame. Won't buy another frame with type of finish.

tacklebury
05-17-2014, 01:04 AM
I have 15 barrels for my switch barrel H&R. Consistency on the forend torque and bedding/oring makes a big difference. ;)

Bohica793
05-17-2014, 09:33 AM
I have 15 barrels for my switch barrel H&R. Consistency on the forend torque and bedding/oring makes a big difference. ;)

Did you send your receiver to H&R for fitting all those barrels or did you fit them yourself?

35 shooter
05-19-2014, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all the info. I've had this one for about 2 years, but just the one bbl. I've heard all the horror stories about 2 piece stocks not holding zero even with the bbls. not being removed. This rifle has a composite stock which may make a difference but it holds it's zero perfectly day to day and year to year. If i don't make a scope adj., it never moves.

Guess i just need to pick up another frame just in case it ever warps but it sure has been shot a lot with jacketed and cast (although i doubt if i ever shoot another jacketed bullet thru it) and shows no signs of giving up. Want to pick up another bbl. or two for it also now that i have confidence with the system.....we'll see...although it seems that 35 whelen bbl. is so versatile it's all i really need.;)