PDA

View Full Version : Fair price? Help

retread
05-14-2014, 07:21 PM
A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from a friend's widow. I did the best I could at determining a fair price. She was really happy and so was I.
A week ago she was cleaning out a pile of junk in his shed and ran across an RCBS Sidewinder tumbler with one drum. It is used but in working condition. She said " you might want this too" and sent it to me with some friends the were visiting her. She asked for no money but I don't feel right about taking it without some kind of payment. Looked on Fleabay, they only had new ones ranging in price from $426 to $465. As stated, this is well used but serviceable. Anyone have a feel for a fair price?

Thanks, Jay

WallyM3
05-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I Googled one "in stock" new for $368.

Midway $409.

salpal48
05-14-2014, 07:35 PM
I can Understand your Concern since he was a friend or Not. You can't Go by Ebay
People bid on everything even junk. Retail Is Retail . @ a normal 500 % mark up. Reloading Equipment is only worth what another person will pay for it. Your's should be a price your good with nothing else. . If not there is always someone else
She is asking No money There for she wants You to have it. Offer what you think is Fair to you

Land Owner
05-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Unless you sell it because you don't want it yourself. In that case, after you collect the sale price, give her 50% or more of the proceeds...

swamp
05-14-2014, 11:31 PM
I would treat her to a couple of nice lunches. Get her out and about for a little while. I am sure she would enjoy it.

swamp

retread
05-15-2014, 02:02 AM
Unless you sell it because you don't want it yourself. In that case, after you collect the sale price, give her 50% or more of the proceeds...

I would like to keep it. If I did sell it for her I would give here 100% of the net sale as I did on other things I sold for her. I feel that friends help out the ones left behind.

Thanks to all for the input.

Echo
05-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Fifty percent of retail price is usually OK...

Bullfrog
05-15-2014, 04:16 PM
I have to "Echo" that response that 50% is fair.

HollandNut
05-15-2014, 04:27 PM
I was gonna say fifty percent as well , so mebbe 175 -200 range , me personally , if it were the widow of one a my friends I'd even bump a bit beyond fifty percent

garym1a2
05-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I would say that answer depends on how well off she is and you. If she is poor and your are rich than go closer to retail. If she is wealthy than consider it a gift.

bobthenailer
05-16-2014, 06:53 AM
A small local gun shop had a nice used one for sale @ $175.00 it took a several months to sell but it did !
i personaly would not pay that price ! i would buy a Lorotin QT-12 tumbler, brand new for $200.00 it will last a lifetime of hard use.
The sidewinder has a issue with the drums support bearings ? wearing out.

woodsxdragon
05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Is she financially stable? Was your friendship almost a brotherly friendship? Cause my friends and me trade stuff amongst each other. Are you financially stable?
If she's hard up for money give her some
If she's flush take her out to eat or send her some flowers and a gift card. If $200 would put you in a bad spot write her a thank you and send a smaller card or take her to lunch. Everyone friendship dynamics are different.

IraqVet1982
05-16-2014, 03:44 PM
If she doesn't want money, make her a nice gift basket... I'm sure she'd like a gift card to a restaurant, nail salon, bath and body works. If she's not financially stable, cash is king and agree 50% of retail is fair.

triggerhappy243
05-16-2014, 03:56 PM
I have dealt with this same issue in the past. If it were me.... I would go the thank you gift basket and if she is not seeing someone and you are not married... Take her out to dinner on a friendship basis. Offering cash would be considered an insult and you do not want to drag up past memories. Keep it light.

gray wolf
05-16-2014, 04:51 PM
A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of reloading stuff from a friend's widow. I did the best I could at determining a fair price. She was really happy and so was I.

She took the money then, you gave the money then, everyone was happy, happy.
Why just take it now ? but if she is flush some of the above suggestions are good.
If she needs the money then give her what you would pay someone else for it.
If you don't really need it and would like to sell it for her then give her the proceeds ( do her a favor )

WILCO
05-17-2014, 09:38 AM
She is asking No money Therefore, she wants You to have it.

I agree. Send her a handwritten note with a gift card for a popular eatery or coffeehouse. She'll appreciate that more.

Smoke4320
05-17-2014, 09:46 AM
a stated above $150 to $200 would be the normal selling price for a used RCBS tumbler in good shape.
If you want to pay her something that you be a good guide..
if she is set money wise I would offer some handywork in exchange.. widows always have odd/small jobs that need to be done
Only you can be the real determining factor..

dbosman
05-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Call me a prig or worse, but my question is going to be What is it worth to you? Above and beyond any other tumbler?