PDA

View Full Version : Chicom bayo strikes again

CHeatermk3
05-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Got a pair of T53 Mosins in from SOG (the ugly sisters I calls 'em); so I'm taking one down for cleanup and being a thrifty sort I took the bayonet screw out to remove the pigsticker so I could use less materials to get the cosmoline off. I'm following a suggestion I saw on line and using 3" plastic pipe w/end caps and mineral spirits for the barreled action.

The screw came out but the blade being under spring tension needed some coaxing so, holding the rifle in my left hand I wiggled/jiggled the blade and it popped loose--right into the web of my hand where it's thick between the thumb and index finger.

So if you're gonna remove the bayo swing it open half way and keep it pointed away not towards any part of your body. Luckily it was just my hand-I coulda popped myself like a balloon!

nicholst55
05-14-2014, 03:29 PM
That's gonna leave a mark! I can commiserate with you, though. I've never bayonetted myself (yet), but I have decapped the web between thumb and index finger (twice, as I recall), and also perforated that area with the fixed firing pin on an S&W revolver...