PDA

View Full Version : Question on RCBS 41 mag: dies

lonewolf5347
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I see some one has a complete 3 die set for sale RCBS 41 Mag: SWC
I was wondering if the die set up will only be good for SWC BULLETS ONLY

TNsailorman
01-09-2008, 06:30 PM
The RCBS die sets that I have bought came with both a RN(round nose) and a SCW(semi-wadcutter) seating stem but I would ask the seller before I bought whether it had both. A SWC stem will only seat SWC bullets--not round nose.

lovedogs
01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
You can usually find seating stems with different nose shapes. If not in a set you obtain I'm sure RCBS would send you one. You can also alter one to any shape you want. I've heard of people using all sorts of things to make them fit different shapes of noses, from epoxy to wads of tin foil.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-10-2008, 02:16 AM
If the dies came with 2 seating stems, i.e. one for a SWC boolit then that is what it will seat. It'll probably mess up a round nose a bit if you try to use it that way. If there is a round nose stem in the set, it'll of course work fine on any RN and will probably seat the SWC's as well as long as the meplat or flat section of the nose isn't too wide. Seating stems aren't very expensive anyway and as previously noted can be obtained from RCBS. They can also be "played with" by machining out the shape to whatever you need, but that's really best done on a lathe or drill press. A common solution is to fill the nose of a stem with epoxy or something similar that sets up and then press fit the nose of the boolit you want to fit....first covered with some grease on it (so the pill doesn't get cemented there forever) and then disconnect them when the epox dries. Yet another way is to take some aluminum foil....not much is needed- and put it in the nose section of the seater plug and when the/a boolit is seated it will take the /its proper shape. If the foil doesn't want to stay put, try a little beeswax or a tiny bit of chewing gum.