PDA

View Full Version : Neck pains

DeanWinchester
05-14-2014, 08:32 AM
After learning MUCH from Goodsteel and others from making a pound cast, I've hit my next bump In the road.
In my particular rifle, a fired case neck measures .345
Full length resizing makes the neck way under that and I neck size only. IF I neck size (collet die) to keep a snug fit on the neck, I have no tension. It's good slip fit. Not good.I get the tension I need my neck diameter ends up being .340 or so. That gives me about .002 tension on a .311 boolit. Obviously it varies some with each piece of brass, but setting the die to .340 gives good tension to all cases in this lot.

I can only see three fixes, one - stop worrying about it, two - start tediously separating brass by neck thickness, three - buy a neck turner and reamer and make brass from 30/06 and use the thicker brass to custom fit it to my needs.
I have neither time nor inclination to start being that picky.

So, how do you fellas approach this and how do you solve it?

Ben
05-14-2014, 08:56 AM
The neck sizing dies that use the bushings ( steel are $17 and Nitride are about $23) would allow you to work Case lot A and Case lot B and Case lot C with a change out of the bushing.

Not cheap , but it does fix the problem.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/641574/redding-type-s-bushing-neck-sizer-die-30-06-springfield?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Ben

texassako
05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Sounds like you have a larger chamber neck than needed, and no amount of sizing is going to change the fact you need more material to fill it up. I shoot one like that, and size the bullet to .313 to fill it up. Another I partially neck size, only about the top 2/3. Toss a washer as a spacer on your shell holder when sizing with the collet die to do it. It leaves a portion of the case neck at the fired size to center the case in the oversize chamber neck.

Nueces
05-14-2014, 04:04 PM
One way to kill this bird would be to form cases, say 30-06 to 308 and use the resulting thicker necks to your advantage. I do this in making 300 Savage for my Remmy 722 from military 7.62 x 51 cases.

country gent
05-14-2014, 04:24 PM
The easiest way is as stated above and only size about half the neck length down from the case mouth. I have a guy at the club that leaves just enough of the "bell" on the case mouth to center the round also. Bushing dies are great if you have enough neck thickness to work for what you want to accomplish.
Try doing this. size case necks in lee die for needed neck tension. Then lightly bell case mouth to measure .344-.345 (cases will need to be the same overall length for consistent result) load do not crimp. leave the belled mouth to center the case.

skeettx
05-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Place a nickle on the edge of the shell holder, screw the re-sizing die down to touch the nickle.
DONE
Mike
p.s. do not hit the nickle with the decapping pin :)

Doc Highwall
05-14-2014, 08:04 PM
What caliber is the rifle? When you have a large chamber neck like that you are always going to get the brass over worked shooting a .311" bullet, think how much more it would over work the case necks if you were shooting .308" bullets.

I would try shooting a .313" bullet first and to see what that would do before doing anything else.

DeanWinchester
05-14-2014, 08:10 PM
It's a .308 Winchester.

It'd be heck getting a .313 in there. My pound cast shows a throat that is just a few tenths under .311. I'd have to do two separate sizing operations.

HeavyMetal
05-19-2014, 10:28 AM
What neck sizing collet die are you using?

If it's a Lee you can order a custom sizing pin in a specific diameter or just take the one you have and reduce it.

That will not cure your issue with over working the brass, if it exists.

I always seperate by HS but the Lee collet die takes care of neck thickness unless it is way out of line in whcich case a neck turning tool may be required.

Do I understand that your making 308 case's out of 30-06?

If you are Why?

Just curious.

DeanWinchester
05-19-2014, 10:41 AM
No I am not, I was CONSIDERING the idea as a way of have more neck material, giving me a way of turning it to the exact size I need.

TXGunNut
05-20-2014, 11:16 PM
It's all Tim's fault, I'll bet he knows somebody who could set that barrel back and cut a proper chamber.

MBTcustom
05-21-2014, 10:38 AM
If you need thicker necked brass for 308 caliber cartridges, you have a few options.
You can size down 30-06/270 brass. This is my preferred method as you can get brass of known quality and you have plenty of meat to turn off.

You can use 7.62 blank brass.
This works OK, kinda sorta. I know there are folks that have had really good luck with this, but the stuff I have been working with has been the worst quality brass I have ever used (LC 06). It sure enough gives you a .020 thick neck, but the flash holes are off center, the brass is held to about the same standards of tolerance as candle sticks, and the primer pockets wouldn't hold primers after the first firing.

You can figure out a way to plate the necks.
Good luck.