PDA

View Full Version : Brand new ProMelt (dripping)

odinohi
05-13-2014, 12:54 PM
I put some in this thing and it drips. Ran about 3/4 pot full through it a seemed to slow the drips a bit, but still drips. This alloy is 50/50 ww/pure. I noticed the new rod or pin as they call it is square at the tip. Tips on rods on all my other pots are somewhat tapered. I haven't had time to lap it in the bottom spout, but it's brand new. Should I really have to?

GLL
05-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Call RCBS for a new rod ! It will be at your doorstep by Monday at no charge ! :)

Jerry

odinohi
05-13-2014, 01:39 PM
I called them about my other promelt dripping. They are sending me new pot, spout, and rod. Hopefully soon!

rodsvet
05-13-2014, 07:09 PM
GLL is correct. Call them and they will make it right! By the way Jerry, how is that model 16 working out? Rod

AbitNutz
05-14-2014, 12:47 AM
I put a spring on mine to hold things tight....just like here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?159170-RCBS-Pro-Melt-Temp-Fluctuations

sammorgan3
05-14-2014, 08:48 AM
My lee doesn't drip...
:kidding:

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-14-2014, 10:12 AM
My lee doesn't drip...
:kidding:

Yet. Wait for it

odinohi
05-14-2014, 10:31 AM
I tried a couple of things that seemed to stop the drip. I emptied the pot a cleaned to out. Piece of copper wire to clean out spout. Lapped it with valve grinding compound, wrapped the handle with some 3/8 lead wire for extra weight, and put a compression spring on my adjustment screw. If that doesn't work maybe I'll trade for SAMs dripless Lee pot;)

AbitNutz
05-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Yes but will the soon to be released Lyman Mag 25 drip..drip...drip.

seagiant
05-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi,
Sorry about the new pot. VERY strange actually for a Pro-Melt! RCBS will make it right as has been said. I"ve been using one since 2006 as the Master Caster pots went out of sight $$$ wise. I bought the Pro-Melt and never looked back! The heat control is also good and do not see a need for a PID!!!

djgoings
05-14-2014, 01:05 PM
My RCBS Pro-Melt had a slight drip (once a minute or so), the first few times that I used it. Then it just stopped dripping all together, on it's own. Been fine ever since.

AbitNutz
05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Invested in a 12 cent spring.

sammorgan3
05-15-2014, 01:20 AM
Yet. Wait for it

Oh, I'm expecting it. Shouldn't be a big deal, though. Cuss and lap. :lol:

odinohi
05-24-2014, 08:15 PM
My older promelt started dripping after melting a sample of what I think now was acid core solder. It started dripping and never really quit. RCBS sent me a new pot and rod which was very easy to install and hasn't dripped once since. Much more productive then fighting drips. Great company customer service

robertbank
05-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Good to know they will do the replacement. Mine drips a bit bt noting serious yet. I usually run a tooth pick up the spout and that seems to clear it up for a bit.

Take Care

Bob

odinohi
05-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Good to know they will do the replacement. Mine drips a bit bt noting serious yet. I usually run a tooth pick up the spout and that seems to clear it up for a bit.

Take Care

Bob

Just so you know, you only have to drill out the rivets on the top of the pot. Just pry it up a bit get ahold of it and wiggle, it will come out. I didn't know that and took the whole thing apart. Good luck, Tom

robertbank
05-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Just so you know, you only have to drill out the rivets on the top of the pot. Just pry it up a bit get ahold of it and wiggle, it will come out. I didn't know that and took the whole thing apart. Good luck, Tom

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

Take Care

Bob

Dale53
05-26-2014, 10:01 AM
I have two Pro-Melts. Someone on this board many years ago suggested a simple cure for the occasional drip. Buy a cheap Chinese knock-off of the small vise grip and clamp it upright on the pour valve piece at the curve. It pretty much solved the problem. It was simply a matter of the extra weight of the vise grip.

Of course, I put NOTHING but clean metal in my pots (I do my smelting with a separate set up using a Turkey/Fish fryer and cast iron dutch oven).

FWIW
Dale53

robertbank
05-26-2014, 10:38 AM
I have two Pro-Melts. Someone on this board many years ago suggested a simple cure for the occasional drip. Buy a cheap Chinese knock-off of the small vise grip and clamp it upright on the pour valve piece at the curve. It pretty much solved the problem. It was simply a matter of the extra weight of the vise grip.

Of course, I put NOTHING but clean metal in my pots (I do my smelting with a separate set up using a Turkey/Fish fryer and cast iron dutch oven).

FWIW
Dale53

This works and is really quite effective on Lee 20# pots. Not so much on the 10# pots as the plunger in angled.

Take Care

Bob

wallenba
05-26-2014, 10:58 AM
I called RCBS about mine a few years back. I asked about the best way to remove the pot and metering rod so I could clear it and re-seat it. Next thing I knew they were sending me a new pot and metering rod... FREE!

ghh3rd
05-26-2014, 10:59 AM
I was thinking of selling my "drip art" on Ebay :-)