PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in MGM

glockky
05-13-2014, 12:07 PM
I usually do not complain much about gun companies, but my experience with MGM has been horrible.

When I tried to get info on what twist were available for my 357 max barrel it took 4 phone calls to get a straight answer.
Then there was the dummy rounds I sent them to cut my throat with. I was told when ordering to send them in after placing the order. Dummy rounds were shipped out the next day. I called a week later to make sure they received the dummy rounds. The lady who answers the phone tells me they have not received them.

So then its on to the answering service at the post office to track the package. After roughly an hour on the phone with different people from the postal service I find out my package was delivered to MGM 3 days earlier. The gentleman from the post office actually contacted MGM and told them they have received it. He said the woman who answered magically found it after he explained to her it had been delivered.

I was also told when ordering my barrel on April 5th that I would have it within 4 weeks since it was a blank they kept in stock. Today May 13 I still have not seen a barrel or any info it is being shipped out.
When I call them I got the normal horrible service and attitude from there customer service. Not only do they not know nothing about what they are selling but they are rude. I was told I should probably get my barrel in 1-2 weeks, which to me is a pretty vague answer.

Keep in mind this is something I pre paid $480 dollars for. I hope this barrel shoots good but can say for a fact that MGM will not get another dime from me. I will look for a different barrel maker next time maybe bulberry.

Hickok
05-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Sounds like they need a call from Roy D. Mercer, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uet_DyhXQsc

It ain't funny, just how big a boy are you?

Seriously, I have been through the same thing before, and it makes me want to go "medievil" on the outfit that has my money. If a person is in business, they should be able to reply with courtesy and truth to patrons.

Tatume
05-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. I find Mike Bellm to be good to deal with. He's quirky, so don't ask him about delivery dates, just wait until it happens. Other than that, I've found him to be a good guy.

3leggedturtle
05-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Bellm rechambered 4 barrels for me. One is a 22H to 223AI, it wil cut 1 hole at 100 yards if you can hold it. (I aint that good) That's a shame about MGM, I orderd 2 barrels at the same time and they were very prompt and courteous./ Did you try asking for Kerry?

glockky
05-13-2014, 07:45 PM
I think I may give mike a try next time

Sweetpea
05-13-2014, 07:55 PM
That's a shame, I've had excellent service from them, what little I've dealt with them.

I actually met the owner at a remote range one day, he was accuracy testing for a customer, and left the ammo at the shop. My buddy an I ended offered to watch everything for him, while he went to get the ammo.

He was leery about it, but was very grateful when he returned.

Seems he apprenticed at Bullberry, but he and Fred had a falling out, so he started MGM.

wlc
05-14-2014, 02:37 AM
I had just the exact opposite experience with them than you did. I also ordered a 357 MAX barrel with a 12 twist. Got lucky and they happened to have one in stock, Otherwise the wait would've been longer for them to source the blank. Courteous service from all I talked with on the phone and had my barrel within 2 or 3 days of the promised delivery date. I had an issue with the lucking lugs and my particular frame. Called and talked to the head machinist and he spent probably 20 minutes on the phone with me talking me through a couple of possible fixes. He said to try the fixes, but he would have Missy send me a new set in the mail anyway. I would buy from them again without hesitation. Sorry to hear of your experience. They do make a good product.

bearcove
05-14-2014, 11:33 PM
I ordered 2 barrels a while back. Both were wrong. One of them hit the breechwhile still 30 degrees from closing. The other was a 356 win without the rim cut, a 358. They said that they were okay after I returned them. Told them to keep them. Sent refund.

glockky
05-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Well I got it in today although I never received a shipping notice. I mounted it on the pro hunter frame I ordered from E Arthur Brown and had them do a trigger job on which I might add is sweet.

Hopefully get the scope mounted this weekend.

xpaholic
05-20-2014, 10:07 PM
I have several barrels from mgm and bullberry and all were excellent transactions, would buy again from either. I have two from virgin valley, that seemed to take forever to be delivered, maybe that is why they went under? I was under the impression that several key people and most of the tooling from virgin valley was turned into MGM. maybe someone here can confirm this? anyway, sorry to hear about your disappointment. xp

FLHTC
05-21-2014, 09:21 AM
MGM is the old Virgin Valley and they still produce a great product. They cut match grade chambers and it's almost pointless to send a dummy round. I have three of their barrels and all of them shoot better than anything I've ever owned from T/C. I use them for cast shooting and the free bore is non-existent. I'll buy an MGM barrel over any other.

selmerfan
05-27-2014, 11:01 AM
MGM has had some less than stellar CS in the last several years. It used to be a very casual transaction with good communication and the product was right the first time. That's not always the case anymore, and I have a feeling it has to do with the volume of orders they have. My last MGM barrel was a 17" .260 Rem and it had to go back because the throat was incredibly short - SAAMI cartridges wouldn't even chamber. I sent dummy rounds with the 130 AB that I intended to use seated where I want them and it returned perfect. And it shoots itty-bitty groups for me. I'm very happy with the product, but it took some doing to get it right.