PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot!

Dross
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi folks, new to the forum and casting, but I've already learned a LOT reading this site in the past few weeks.....

So, my landlord owns and operates a print shop, (can you see where this is going?:mrgreen:) anyway, I stop by to ask if he has any Lino he'd like to sell,
he replies, "Nope!, but I'll give you all of it that you're willing to haul away!"

JACKPOT! He's got at least 3-500 Lbs. of Elrod bars alone, another 100-200 lbs. of type, and the printing shop is literally next-door to my house!!!

I'll post pics of all my lovely "Plunder Pigs" when I'm done smelting!:bigsmyl2:

Thanks for the great forum!

corvette8n
01-09-2008, 02:22 PM
some guy have all the luck

R.M.
01-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Hope you took it all you lucky sod. :bigsmyl2:

Blammer
01-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Good score! I'd move it to your property ASAP, then it's officially yours!

Dross
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm in the process of moving it right now!

Just couldn't wait to brag I guess!:oops:

Hmmmmmm.... There's ANOTHER print shop right down the street!

Here are a few of the first pigs :

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o193/jinxxxonu/pigs.jpg

Dross
01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I'd have more pigs by now, but this is my current smelting setup!:oops:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o193/jinxxxonu/smelt.jpg

Baron von Trollwhack
01-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Why would you want simply change linotype rods into linotype muffins? and apparently in the kitchen too? BvT

Dross
01-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Why would you want simply change linotype rods into linotype muffins? and apparently in the kitchen too? BvT

Apt. dweller, limited space. The rods are approx. 4 Ft. long and loose.

As for the kitchen, well... that's where the heat source I can afford is.

hammerhead357
01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Well congrats on the score. I can see melting down the lino strips but not the Elrod strips they should store easily as they are especially if they are still wrapped in the brown paper most of them used to come in.
I am really surprised that ther are two shops that closed together that still have old hot type metal around.....Wes

spurgon
01-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Not in the kitchen!
spurgon

Dross
01-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Not in the kitchen!
spurgon

If I don't spill any lead (I didn't), and we're not heating it enough to create a vapor, then why not in the kitchen?

Not trying to be argumentative, just thought I had the facts straight.

If not, PLEASE let me know!

Ohio Rusty
01-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Good score !! Years ago, I was a printer and I used to score some crushed letters and scrap we'd use for making fishing stuff. Now I wish I would have known I would have been making boolets. I would have saved all the lead I came across.
Ohio Rusty

dromia
01-11-2008, 03:11 PM
You've got a cheek sharing that with us all and then expecting people to be civil.

For gods sake man have you never heard of jealousy!:mrgreen:

Congratulations mate, may your luck hold.:-D

Dross
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
<-----------Cheeky, ...Sorry!:mrgreen:

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2008, 05:29 PM
are you seriously melt over 300 lbs of lead in that tin can!!!!

dubber123
01-11-2008, 05:55 PM

Thats called DEDICATION Lloyd. May be called a few other things, but DEDICATED is one of them. And we all know Lloyd is the most jealous of anybody who scores free Linotype![smilie=1:

dubber123
01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
As far as melting in the kitchen, alot of people believe it is the lead dust that settles on things that are ingested later, usually your hands, then to your mouth. In your case, it might now be the plates, cups, silverware, heck, even the kitchen sink.

Dross
01-11-2008, 07:04 PM

LOL! NO!

I'm going to get a dutch oven & turkey fryer set-up ASAP

Dubber123,

K, ingestion of lead dust would be bad!

But where would the dust coming from? I'm not cutting or grinding the lead?

Anyway, no more smelting in the kitchen after today!:-D

Uncle Grinch
01-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Great Find and EXCELLENT price!!

Your best bet for handling that much smelting is to connect with a friend who has a better set-up. That way you can gain some experience and get the job done quicker and safer.

Good luck....

Topper
01-11-2008, 07:46 PM
That is an excellent find for sure.
Don't waste it.
Use it to enhance wheel weight or lead alloy.

flhroy
01-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Dross said

Hi folks, new to the forum and casting, but I've already learned a LOT reading this site in the past few weeks.....

beginers luck?

Way to go Dross and wecolme aboard!

Dross
01-12-2008, 03:52 AM
Dross said

beginers luck?

Way to go Dross and wecolme aboard!

I almost wrote after that first line, "Especially the value of Linotype lead" But that just seemed moot somehow. [smilie=1:

dubber123
01-12-2008, 11:24 AM
LOL! NO!

I'm going to get a dutch oven & turkey fryer set-up ASAP

Dubber123,

K, ingestion of lead dust would be bad!

But where would the dust coming from? I'm not cutting or grinding the lead?

Anyway, no more smelting in the kitchen after today!:-D

From my understanding, just he melting of a lead based alloy will release small particles of lead, that will settle and build up on surfaces. I have the bad habit of drinking beer while moulding, and have seen my lead #'s climb over the past couple years. Not dangerously high #'s, but they have increased. The culprit is likely ingestion, and melting in your kitchen may give you ample opportunites for doing the same thing, drinking from a glass with lead residue on it for example.

Dross
01-12-2008, 05:48 PM
From my understanding, just he melting of a lead based alloy will release small particles of lead, that will settle and build up on surfaces. I have the bad habit of drinking beer while moulding, and have seen my lead #'s climb over the past couple years. Not dangerously high #'s, but they have increased. The culprit is likely ingestion, and melting in your kitchen may give you ample opportunites for doing the same thing, drinking from a glass with lead residue on it for example.

Damn! I was smelting in the kitchen AND drinking beer!

(No more of that then!!!):oops:

blysmelter
01-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Something tells me your singel....

Dross
01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Something tells me your singel....

LOL, Nope.

Rod B
01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I hope you have a vent & hood over that kitchen range.:-D

MGySgt
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Dross - you aint the first to smelt/mould bullets on the kitchen stove - I did it for 3 years in KC, MO when I was stationed out there. And yes I was married at the time and still married to the same woman, maybe the lead affected her and not me [smilie=1:

There are a lot better places to smelt WW and make bullets, but we do what we can afford to do.

But - take it out side the kitchen the first chance you get - OK?

Drew