PDA

View Full Version : What have I got?

Rattlesnake Charlie
05-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Last winter I was buying up some lead and wheel weight ingots from people here on the Cast Boolits website. Today, I opened one of the packages, which says Wheel Weight Ingots on it, and inside is some type of spacers or something for typesetting. I did not save the outside of the package with who it was from when it arrived last winter. The material is non-magnetic and very soft. If anyone can identify this, please let me know what I have. 104734

Beagle333
05-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm scratchin my head.... but I do remember seeing that on the S&S forum. Dangit.... now I'm gonna dole on it til I remember! (or somebody remembers..)

RogerDat
05-13-2014, 03:01 PM
LinoType Spacers? 65 pica is a font measurement. They look like spacers strips that went between lines of type, spacers do not hit the press to print so they did not have to be hard type metal but were sometimes. Might try snapping one. I would think soft/plain lead would bend in half till the ends touch but linotype might snap when bent too far or too sharply at the fold.

Down South
05-18-2014, 10:32 AM
If it's pure lead, it will bend end to end. Lino will snap about half way through the bend.

osteodoc08
05-18-2014, 08:48 PM
If it's pure lead, it will bend end to end. Lino will snap about half way through the bend.

This. Linotype snaps when getting close to 90*

Animal
05-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Looks like Mystery Boolit alloy. Keep us updated.

John Boy
05-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Get a hardness tester - will tell you the Bhn hardness

Defcon-One
05-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I'll bet Linotype spacers, factory made. No idea of the content (%) other than Lead, Tin and Antimony, maybe a bit of Copper in some.

Check melting point on a sample, hardness if you can. With enough accumulated info., you can figure it out.