PDA

View Full Version : H&R in 22hornet

Tackleberry41
05-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Put some money down on a H&R in the rack at the LGS today. Plan to use the synthetic stocked frame, and longer hand guard on my other rifle. Still gonna have a rifle when I'm done. Not sure if will use the scope mount and rings or just go with irons on it at this point.

Question is reloading. I know from reading its a bit more challenging to reload the hornet, thinner brass, not alot of life. See the K-hornet mentioned, is it worth the expense of reaming, and dies? Or just get a neck size die for the regular hornet. No need for extra performance, have other rifles for that. But might try to load some cast w BP. Already have a mold, might be heavy at 55gr just have to see.

Looks like only way to get any brass is loaded ammo, didnt find any in stock looking around.

jonp
05-13-2014, 12:17 AM
Lohman Arms has boxes of 1,000.
http://www.huntingtons.com/store/product.php?productid=20187 seems to be in stock but at $30/20 it's not cheap

jonp
05-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Lohman Arms has boxes of 1,000.
http://www.huntingtons.com/store/product.php?productid=20187 seems to be in stock but at $30/20 it's not cheap

35 shooter
05-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Just my .2, but i'd try it as is first. Pretty cool little round the way it is and it might be a real shooter. If not then ream away.;)

rhead
05-13-2014, 06:59 AM
The lee collet neck sizer helps a lot with case stretch. I have to full length resize the ones i use for full power loads about every fifth time. the ones I use for 22 mag level loads are still going fine.

Tackleberry41
05-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Yea $30 for 20 is a bit steep, must be special ones. I can get a box of 20 loaded ones at the LGS around the corner for $16. Had to do the same thing with 357, any brass I found was as much as loaded ammo.

I wasnt sure what dies to buy. Some say a regular FL die backed off to only hit the neck works fine to extend case life. Others swear by the Lee collet neck sizer. Some say you need the Lyman M die, others just use a lee flare die, already have one of those. Dont guess I can get away with modifying a shell holder so one of my several 223 dies would work to size the neck?

I generally shoot as is before cutting anything. I dont need it for anything serious so probably stick with it as is.

Cactus Farmer
05-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I have a H&R Model 158 and have had it for years. It was K-ed before the first shot. Brass life is greatly increased. I shoot copper condomed 45 grn pills but prefer 225415 with 8 grns of 2400. Accurate and coyotes barely move if at all. Rabbits loose all their togetherness. A few deer have been taken with it too, not my deer choice mind you, but it is one bang, meat on the table. My other Hornet is a Model 43 Winchester. I just can't bring myself to alter it.

atr
05-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I would try it first before altering..
I have tried both using a Lee collet die and backing the FL die out and think the collet die is the way to go
It IS the fussiest cartridge I have reloaded for,,,,,very fussy on powder, primer and bullet wt. selection

Hickok
05-14-2014, 02:14 PM
In my previous Hornets, I used pistol primers. I used an L.E. Wilson neck sizing die and bullet seater for an arbor press. Neck sizing is the way to go, no matter what dies you use. Presently I am laying away funds for another Hornet.

I agree with ATR, the Hornet is very finicky to reload for as to accuracy.

Tackleberry41
05-14-2014, 05:53 PM
I ordered a lee collet die and hornady new dimension seater, see how it goes from there. I get decent accuarcy out of it I will be happy, not looking for anything special out of it.

DLCTEX
05-14-2014, 09:26 PM
In developing loads changes in powder charges should be made in tenths of a grain as the small case cause pressure changes in a hurry. My Ruger and Tarus Raging Hornet both like the Lyman 225-438 boolit.

xpaholic
05-20-2014, 10:29 PM
the several H&R 22 hornets I have had in the past, don't own one currently, shot best with both cast and j-word bullets under 55 gr. two preferred 45 gr bullets the rest seemed to shoot best with 50 gr. don't know if it was because of the twist or bore diameter , without looking I seem to remember something about a smallish bore in some. good luck xp

mikeym1a
05-21-2014, 07:00 AM
If shooting cast, could one not just reload the case, and slip a new boolit into the case mouth, and then put a little tension on it with a lee collet die with the de-priming pin removed? That way, the neck is not over worked as to resizing, which might lengthen case life, and perhaps aid to accuracy? What say you, Hickok? mikey

dtknowles
05-21-2014, 11:54 AM
It is going to depend on your brass neck thickness, chamber neck diameter and bullet diameter. As an experiment I loaded some .22 hornet rounds with unsized bullets pan lubed in unsized cases and seated the bullets without a crimp and they shot reasonable groups. I tried the same thing with another lot of brass and the bullets were loose and need some crimp to keep the bullets in place. I would say you can try it and see if you get the accuracy you are looking for.

Tim

Tackleberry41
05-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Managed to find some brass at a reloading place. Good thing the boxed stuff I bought is S&B, flash hole is undersized, fortunately didnt break the decapping pin. But pulls it out, then you have to get it back out of the case. School got out today so havent had a chance to load any ammo yet. Have a 55gr mold, just have to see how they do in the rifle. Fortunately already have a lee universal flare tool to get em in. Give that hornady new dimension seater die a try. Probably get some use in my 223 bolt gun.

Was a bit surprised at the rifle. Friend has some AR500 gongs at his place. That S&B FMJ cratered the gongs better than a 55gr FMJ from an AR-15.