PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Heavy Boolit Data For Use In Light 35 Whelen Booit Loads

jonp
05-12-2014, 12:23 PM
I was thinking about this today and it applies not only to the 35 Whelen but to other rounds like the 338-06 and so on. Since the 35 Whelen uses a 30-06 case could you use 200gr 30-06 data for a 200gr 35 Whelen?

That is, with the same boolit/bullet weight and parent case could you use that data as a starting point?
How would this react?

I was looking at an old Accurate Manual for data on AA8700 and found it listed for heavy 30-06 but not light 35 Whelen so this is what got me onto this line of thinking

Ironduke
05-12-2014, 01:00 PM
It will work as a starting point, but you will not acheive optimal results. The slower powders that will be optimal for heavy bullet '06 loads will be slower than optimal for light 35 Whelen loads due to the larger expansion ratio of the 35 cal. For example, a good 30-06 load with IMR 4350 would likely not get your velocity up where you'd expect with a 35 Whelen load using the same weight bullet.

But I am talking OPTIMAL, not just useful. Your pressures will be lower going up in bore diameter given the same weight of bullet, all things being equal. Ergo your loads should be safe from a theoretical standpoint. So while you can safely make loads this way, they may not be IDEAL. You can still find decent loads this way, and some loads may do exactly what you need. But ideally, you'll just find good load data you can use directly with your bullet in the Whelen case.

Outpost75
05-12-2014, 03:05 PM
For an accurate, pleasant, low recoil and low noise load, which works well either as a small game load, or a coups de gras to finish off wounded animals without destroying a hide or cape, I use rhe Accurate Molds .359-190 plainbase, with 8 grains of Bullseye. This is the Ranch Dog design bullet, but with conventional lube grooves and crimp groove, with a plain base. Velocity is about 1080 fps.

jonp
05-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Good info. Thanks

My question used the 35 whelen as an example of something i am interested in. It would be the same as,say, a heavy 7mm-08 vs a lite 308. Same parent, same weight boolit just different caliber.