PDA

View Full Version : Testing a new search option

Gunload Master
05-12-2014, 10:59 AM
I am currently testing a new search option for our website. You will see the search box has changed and says "Google custom search". Give it a try and give me your feedback.. Our old search system was horrific, so I hope this helps.

AlaskanGuy
05-12-2014, 11:04 AM
I like it..... Woo hooo... Nice work... Why re-invent the wheel... The google search is what I use anyway.... But the old search with advanced options had its place also... Maybe we could keep the new google search as the "standard " search, and keep the option for the advance search where it is now???

AG

Gunload Master
05-12-2014, 11:05 AM
The advanced search will remain the same. The basic search option is the only thing that will be updated to the "New" searching method.

Gunload Master
05-12-2014, 11:14 AM
As an FYI. That search, searches everything on cast boolits. So it might return someone's profile, or some other funny pages, not always a thread or a post. So it might take a little getting use to, but it should be much better than our old system.

dragon813gt
05-12-2014, 11:17 AM
So will this new search work w/ Tapatalk. I've always wondered if the Tapatalk search is independent or they use the one built into the site.

Gunload Master
05-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Good question. I am not 100% sure on that, I will do some research on that, but I believe it uses the old system. I don't think it can be upgraded at this point.

jcwit
05-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Yes, I like it. Tried it and can actually fine something.

texassako
05-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I like it and it doesn't kick back searches for short words as no results. It does change the layout on my screen a little bit.

starmac
05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
I think that is what i have been using. Someone posted it several months ago, and I added it to my favorites, but this is better as I don't have to go to another page to search. Thanks.

1989toddm
05-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Love it. Good move.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-12-2014, 03:27 PM
I like it !

wch
05-12-2014, 07:46 PM
This search seems to work very well; as you said, the old one was terrible.

MBTcustom
05-12-2014, 08:36 PM
The one merit that the old search feature had was that it returned results in chronological order. I was using it to keep up with a whole bunch of threads by just searching for one word. I also used it to find people who were asking for me, or about me by entering my handle into the search bar. The results that returned would be bold if I had not read them which was really nice as it saved me from covering old material.
Granted, I'm not that computer savvy, and castboolits is about all I know, so I guess I was making the old search function work for me. I can adapt, but I'm not going to be using it very much to keep up with, track, and manage threads anymore. It'll take forever to go through all of them and see if there is new material posted or not.
Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Cornbread
05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
SWEET! That is soooo much better than what you had before! Now I can search "308" or "BFR" and actually get results which I couldn't before because they are only three letters.

jonas302
05-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Good job!!

blaser.306
05-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Just tested it out! Found what I had looked for for half an hour on Saturday in 30 seconds flat. Proly would have been faster but the site is still acting up? Anyway keep up the good work, The site just keeps getting better and easier to enjoy.

leeggen
05-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Way to go GM, great search and way quicker than the old one.

CD

M-Tecs
05-12-2014, 11:13 PM
The one merit that the old search feature had was that it returned results in chronological order. I was using it to keep up with a whole bunch of threads by just searching for one word. I also used it to find people who were asking for me, or about me by entering my handle into the search bar. The results that returned would be bold if I had not read them which was really nice as it saved me from covering old material.
Granted, I'm not that computer savvy, and castboolits is about all I know, so I guess I was making the old search function work for me. I can adapt, but I'm not going to be using it very much to keep up with, track, and manage threads anymore. It'll take forever to go through all of them and see if there is new material posted or not.
Just my 2 cents FWIW.

plus 100%

Ben
05-13-2014, 12:51 AM
Gunload Master :

A wonderful choice and a great addition to an already great site.

Thanks again for all your hard work,

Ben

Bzcraig
05-13-2014, 01:36 AM
Excellent! To Bo able to put in a screen name and a word or two of the thread is awesome. Thank you very much sir!

winelover
05-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Hate it----if I want a google search----I'll open another window. Can't find threads that I recently posted in. Before, I could just type in my handle and threads, that I posted in, would pop up. Any new posts, titles would would be bold and I could just hit View First Unread and keep abreast. Not any more!!!!!!!!!!!

Winelover

762 shooter
05-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Hate it----if I want a google search----I'll open another window. Can't find threads that I recently posted in. Before, I could just type in my handle and threads, that I posted in, would pop up. Any new posts, titles would would be bold and I could just hit View First Unread and keep abreast. Not any more!!!!!!!!!!!

Winelover

Click on your screen name in the upper right corner of the site and click on My Profile. That will give you all your recent posts.

winelover
05-13-2014, 07:19 AM
Click on your screen name in the upper right corner of the site and click on My Profile. That will give you all your recent posts.

I do that daily but it also gives you your Friends recent posts. If you have a lot of Friends, that can become an issue.

Winelover

jonas302
05-13-2014, 08:25 AM
There is a spot on the top of the screen in your profile below My activity the lets your select all including your friends or click on just your screen name

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Winelover

"Advanced Search" should still do all this.
That's what I use for what Winelover and Goodsteel mention
It's a couple more clicks though.

gray wolf
05-13-2014, 10:56 AM
I will not use Google if I can ever help it
The fact is they track and trace everything you do and share with the NSA, and anyone else that will pay for your info.
When I last looked the 4th amendment was still alive and well.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]

I have done nothing wrong is a poor excuse or reason for giving up our rights.
Some Black Robe folks have trampled on it at seem to enjoy distorting it, and it seems we keep on allowing it to happen.
There are other alternatives that i feel more comfortable with than Google, So I say no thank you.

winelover
05-13-2014, 03:57 PM
"Advanced Search" should still do all this.
That's what I use for what Winelover and Goodsteel mention
It's a couple more clicks though.

Advanced Search never worked right. I can put in my handle and get all posts I ever made then the very next time, I'll ask for posts made in the last 6 months, I get the Sorry Notice--no matches??????????? Not consistant!

Winelover

M-Tecs
05-13-2014, 06:01 PM
The Find Latests Posts shows 2 years ago as my most current and the font default is *****

kencha
05-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Like a few others, I am also disappointed by the decision to run google search.

I refuse to run any google scripts.

If you decide to stick with it, please leave the advanced, forum and thread searches google-free.

(Not that any interested party doesn't already have access to any of your online activities that they wish, but I'm not freely assisting google in their data collection.)

Gunload Master
05-15-2014, 11:41 AM
It's everyone's own choice if they want to use the google search or not. The old search was pretty much useless to be able to find anything of importance and a large majority of members were already using a google search to search our site. This incorporation is a good thing and will certainly help out the majority of members on here. Google is not a harmful company and will not harm your computer. In any case, it's everyone's own choice to use the search or not, but at least with this search you can find what your looking for..

Gunload Master
05-15-2014, 11:42 AM
The find latest posts should now be showing all the posts.. Can you be more specific on the default font? The font has not changed.

MBTcustom
05-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Ive got it! No problemo!

Go to advanced search
Click the left hand option labeled "Search Single Content Type"
Type your query into the "Search For" "Keywords" section and mash the "Enter" key.
Presto! We have chronological results.

missionary5155
05-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Greetings
It works 500% better than the old. With this new one I have been able to find many of the 2 year and older posts on the 50-95. I like it ! Works good !
A tip of the hat and 3 Huzzzas !
Mike in Peru