PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39mm Brass Data

DR Owl Creek
05-12-2014, 10:50 AM
This is data I have accumulated over a period of time, while trying to work-up the most accurate and consistent loads that I can. I thought I would share this with you.

All brass was trimmed to 1.518" +/-.001":

Remington (20 pcs): Average Weight 128.1 gr, ES 1.7 gr
Winchester (20 pcs): Average Weight 125.3 gr, ES 6.0 gr

Please add any other relevant data you have for 7.62x39mm brass, such as other brands, case neck thickness, case capacity, number of times reloaded, problems if any, etc. Loading comments or quirks with these cartridges would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Bullwolf
05-12-2014, 06:34 PM
To add on to this.

Most of the easily re-loadable (non Berdan primed) 7.62x39 brass out there uses large rifle primers.

The only small rifle primer 7.62x39 brass that I've encountered was the old green and yellow Remington box stuff.

- Bullwolf

Handloader109
05-13-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm trying to work up info also. I had a few Lapua cases that would not work for me. Jam in the gun and I had to pull out. Pulled boolits and tossed the few I had. No issues with the other brands.

shredder
05-13-2014, 06:56 PM
I just stumbled onto this thread I too have been questing for some comparative data for the 7.62x39 case.

I use Prvi Partisan headstamped nny and I will have to find my notes to let you the specs on that brass. It has worked very well in my SKS and some has been fired 4 times now. The problem is attrition due to lost cases, not failure. My SKS is the most efficient brass scatterer ever invented!!! :holysheep I did try low power loads that did not cycle the action in an effort to save the precious brass, but accuracy was dismal in my gun. I will post back in a while when I have my specs to contribute.

DR Owl Creek
05-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Guys. Keep the info coming.

Dave