PDA

View Full Version : Soft Cast, Pistol Molds

Good Cheer
05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Has anyone had a barrel (slower twist?) set up for using pistol molds of any caliber?
How did it work out with shorter length boolits?

Tried out the RCBS 250 grain semi-wadcutter in a .458 bore diameter (24" twist) muzzleloader a while back. Going to try out the old Ideal Keith mold and #454190 when I get around to it.
Thinking about having a barrel bored to .36 to use .38 pistol molds or .42 to use .41 molds.

Nobade
05-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Not specifically, though it does sound like a good idea. Not sure I'd want to use a boolit with a big grease groove since it would collapse at the shot and not be the same each time. Tumble lube boolits may be your best bet unless you have moulds for slicks that size.

I have had good luck with a TC Cherokee 45 cal, using Lee TL-452-230 sized to .442 and patched to fit the bore. Can't get that rifle to shoot well with anything else but it works great with this boolit.

-Nobade

montana_charlie
05-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Tried out the RCBS 250 grain semi-wadcutter in a .458 bore diameter (24" twist) muzzleloader a while back.
What kind of paper do you plan to patch with?

Good Cheer
05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Whatever works. On the SWC's it was regular old nine pound 25% cotton. Have used dollar store graph paper (blue tongue syndrome) and note book paper on various projects. Colored printer paper on a couple. Got some sewing pattern paper around here somewhere.
The best thing I've found so far for low powered loads in the .69 Fremont is a Big Chief tablet but the jury is still out on that one. The rifling is almost non-existent so you walks a fine line between paper that comes off in the barrel and paper that doesn't come off outside of the barrel.
But, for loading .41 SWC's and RN's in a muzzleloader... man, whatever works.

johnson1942
05-20-2014, 05:19 PM
im just finishing a custom muzzleloader ive been building over the winter. it is a .450 to .458 1/30 twist. it will shoot a 300 grain .440 paperpatched bullet. ive had the gun together to see if every thing fit and it did. so i sighted it in before i took it apart to do metal and wood finishing. i call it my walk about gun for rabbits and such. i could keep it in one hole at 35 yards. i think its bullet would qualify as a hand gun bullet. goes about 1500 ft per sec.