PDA

View Full Version : Will make a Gascheck the Difference

Klaus
05-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Hi Gents,

i do some trials with my new Swedish Mauser and my Commision Rifle and wonder why gaschecked Bullets are much closer on the target as without gaschecks

My Load 6,5 x 55 SE Lyman Loverin Bullet w/ GC 7grs BE , 13 grs HS 6 , 15 grs Accurate 5744 all Impacs are very close at 50 Meters depending on used Powder a bit higher as the other but very good.

My Load 8x57 IS Lee 175 grs Bullet without GC. 7 grs BE , 9 grs BE are right on the Spot. 13 grs HS and 15 grs Accurate 5744 are spreding all over or outside the target. ( 50 meters)

For your Info i got the same result with the 6,5 x55 if i use no GC and fill more than 7 grs BE in the case.

i think about to use less Powder with HS 6 ans 5744 go down to 9 or 10 grs maybe

any advises ?

thx Klaus

leadman
05-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Your results are pretty common with rifle loads. Usually a boolit designed to wear a gas check will shoot best with a gc installed. As you found very light loads will sometimes work ok. Another factor is the hardness of the alloy used. Around 15 to 22 works best for higher velocities.
In the Selling & swapping section here the vendor 338RemUltramag sells aluminum gas checks at a very good price. I use these myself.

Klaus
05-13-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi Leadman,

thx for your advise

i will check with 338 RUM for this Alu GC
pls tell me your experience with the Alus opposide to Brass or Copper

My Shootingfriends has told that Alu was not be good to the Bore and will smear the Land and Fields?

Klaus

Dan Cash
05-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Hi Leadman,

thx for your advise

i will check with 338 RUM for this Alu GC
pls tell me your experience with the Alus opposide to Brass or Copper

My Shootingfriends has told that Alu was not be good to the Bore and will smear the Land and Fields?

Klaus

I, personally, do not believe that aluminum will cause any problem. From my own experience, it definately will not "smear" the lands and grooves. If the aluminum gas checks are annealed, they perform as well as copper for me but for low velocity rounds, a plain based bullet is my preference. (up to 1600 fps or so)

AlaskanGuy
05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Welcome Klaus,

Are you from Germany???

Many people here have a preference for copper, but also use alum gas checks.... I find that the copper GC stay on better.... They both do what they are designed to do, and there are 2 different designs sold here to make your own... The one I use is Pat marlin makes, and is available from one of our sponsors... Some folks think that copper is more accurate for a gas check, and I tend to believe it, but the difference for me is not enough to make a large difference....

AlaskanGuy

Klaus
05-14-2014, 05:25 AM
Hello AlaskanGuy,

yes i`m from Germany
live near Cologne 104844

I thinking about to buy a patmarlin tool because gaschecks are real expensive here in germany 1000piece / one Box costs around 70 USD

Or to reduce my loads down to a lever that GC are not to be needed

Klaus

tomme boy
05-14-2014, 11:47 AM
I would be making my own checks for that much money. I mainly use aluminum checks and they work great. I have had two custom barrels. One Shilen and one McGowen and they both shot the alum checks without issue. I use them in a few other rifles as well without issue.

The main thing with the alum. checks is they have to be kept in the neck of the case. The reason is they are not crimped on like the copper checks are. They are like the old Lyman checks that just slip on. If you load them into a magazine, the recoil could pop them off the base of the bullet. If you single load them into the chamber it is a non issue and shoot away. This is the only down side I have seen to using them.

Dan Cash
05-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Klaus, If you want to make your own gas checks, check out the FreeChex tools. They are very reasonably priced, much faster to make gas checks and very prompt delivery. Regardless what brand of check making tool you buy, when using aluminum, get the proper thickness (usually .014 inch) and anneal the metal either before or after making the checks. They will stay on the bullet.

Klaus
05-15-2014, 04:22 AM
Hi Dan,
thx for this info and the hint for the FreeChex Tools

Klaus

Lead Fred
05-15-2014, 06:03 AM
Powder never burns my gas checks, but I still put them on, for the boolit was designed to fly with them on.