PDA

View Full Version : Did I do ok on purchase

TNRELOADER
05-11-2014, 10:55 PM
I was looking at some reloading equipment and saw a press that I had never seen. Started talking to the owner and he said it was a star universal progressive press set up for 38 spl. He said he would take 550 for it and throw in another star 38 press for parts plus a star push through sizer. I had been looking for a sizer. Once I got the equipment cleaned up I realized their wer enough parts that came with the deal that I had two working presses. I have tried both out and with some tinkering they work great. The universal press even came with a shell feeder and three shell tubes. I was just wondering if I did ok on the deal or not. I don't want to sell them they look rugged and work great. Also who's dies and punches work with the star sizer I don't know how old any of the equipment is but it was made in California and is all painted blue with a silver base. I'm just curious because everyone looked at me like I was stupid for paying that much for some old equipment. Thank you

propwashp47
05-11-2014, 11:19 PM
like a fox

BruceB
05-11-2014, 11:41 PM
OOOoooooohhhh yeah.

I believe you have a couple THOUSAND bucks' worth of equipment there.

It's always puzzled me a bit, that the Star so-called "Universal" is NOT convertible to other calibers. Be that as it may, for decades there were Star reloaders used in police departments all across the country, used for loading practice ammunition. Many departments even cast their own bullets.

Put it this way..... if I did NOT have a .38 and fell into a deal like yours, I would keep the loaders and BUY a .38 in order to have something to use up the production from the machinery.

I yam jealous, yes I am!

TNRELOADER
05-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Thank you for your replies. So to me it seems like it was a good deal. I love the machinery I got it because it took so long to reload for two 38's and a 357 on my rock chucker. On the sizer will it take another companies sizing bushings and punches or am I stuck finding old ones. After looking is this the same thing as the new star sizers . Thank you and God bless.

AbitNutz
05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Now the first thing ya do is twiddle all the crucial adjustments. I did that with my dad's Rochester Fuel Injected 327 Corvette when I was a kid. Just jumped right in there and sprang every spring and twisted every screw. The car never ran again...which was a godsend as he pushed it eyes full of tears into the garage and sold it 35 years later for $110,000....eyes full of tears. My mother and I are confident that it saved his life.

Wayne Smith
05-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Thank you for your replies. So to me it seems like it was a good deal. I love the machinery I got it because it took so long to reload for two 38's and a 357 on my rock chucker. On the sizer will it take another companies sizing bushings and punches or am I stuck finding old ones. After looking is this the same thing as the new star sizers . Thank you and God bless.
I have no idea if the dimensions are the same, but I'll bet if you contact the current maker they will tell you. Probably sell you some stuff, too! Like maybe a MasterCaster to keep up with production.

LUBEDUDE
05-12-2014, 11:22 AM
I was looking at some reloading equipment and saw a press that I had never seen. Started talking to the owner and he said it was a star universal progressive press set up for 38 spl. He said he would take 550 for it and throw in another star 38 press for parts plus a star push through sizer. I had been looking for a sizer. Once I got the equipment cleaned up I realized their wer enough parts that came with the deal that I had two working presses. I have tried both out and with some tinkering they work great. The universal press even came with a shell feeder and three shell tubes. I was just wondering if I did ok on the deal or not. I don't want to sell them they look rugged and work great. Also who's dies and punches work with the star sizer I don't know how old any of the equipment is but it was made in California and is all painted blue with a silver base. I'm just curious because everyone looked at me like I was stupid for paying that much for some old equipment. Thank you

WoW!!

seagiant
05-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Hi,
Don't tell these guys you got to good of a deal! They'll get upset! (Ask me how I know!)

TNRELOADER
05-12-2014, 08:40 PM
If that's the case I feel sorry for them, because I would be happy for them if they got a good deal

I did some research and some one by the name of lathe smith makes sizing dies for the star does anyone know if he is a member of this site.

Thank you.

seaboltm
05-12-2014, 08:43 PM
I am pretty sure lathesmith is a member here.

seaboltm
05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
He is online now:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62874-Lathesmith-s-Star-dies

wv109323
05-12-2014, 09:22 PM
The Star "Universal" is adaptable for different calibers. The "Universal" has adjustable "fingers" at the loading stations that are adjusted for different size brass cases. The "Progressive" was made for .38 Special only and has no adjustments at the stations..
Dies can be bought (when the market was stable) from Lee and C&H for the press. The expander die will need to be made. There is a guy that makes shell plates. There is a Star forum that will get you well on your way.
You can also have the tool head drilled and tapped for the standard 7/8 X 14 dies. Price wise you did OK. The .38 Special is the most common caliber and the lowest priced. Other calibers like 9MM and .44 Mag are much more expensive.
The Star lube-sizer is a totally different animal from the loader.