PDA

View Full Version : Color Case Hardening Discoloration (Corrosion)

Tar Heel
05-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to arrest the ever growing discoloration (corrosion) on my Ruger Vaquero frame? This is not the result of a chemical I got on the frame, it was present a little bit when the gun was first purchased as a "bright spot" without any other pattern on it. I initially figured it was a bright spot in the otherwise "chaotic" pattern of the color case hardening. This brown spot is growing and new ones are beginning to appear.

I have contacted Ruger but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem on their Ruger Vaquero. It's an older one purchased when Ruger first came out with the gun.

Love Life
05-11-2014, 10:46 PM
I thought the Rugers were case colored with a chemical process?

dubber123
05-11-2014, 11:03 PM
I thought the Rugers were case colored with a chemical process?

My understanding also, and I believe it is regarded as a comparably "delicate" finish. If Ruger can't or won't refinish it, you are probably left with getting it conventionally blued, or sending it to someone like Turnbull for real case coloring. Good luck.

Tar Heel
05-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll await Ruger's response to my inquiry regarding this. I didn't know you could use chemical to color case harden. That would explain the patterns.....

dmize
05-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Rugers' "case color" is a chemical process.
What you have is very common,all of mine have done the same thing and I know for a fact that mine are properly cared for.
It is my understanding that Ruger will repair the finish by bluing them.

Tar Heel
05-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Found this on the SASS forum. His is browning out in precisely the same spot. Very interesting!

Tar Heel
05-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Ruger has offered to refinish the gun in a current (blued) finish as mentioned above. Since I like the case hardening finish look, and the current finish will probably outlast me anyway, I'll hang on to it and keep on top of the fading as it continues. What sold me on the gun was the finish anyway. I've looked at Turnbull's site and while his hardening jobs are beautiful, the budget just won't support that. Perhaps in the future....

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

nhrifle
05-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Couple thoughts -- that appears to be surface rust and my go to treatment for that is Hoppe's #9 and 0000 steel wool, buff lightly. This will remove corrosion, not harm the finish, and prevent future damage.

Turnbull is outrageous in his pricing and his brand of color casing doesn't look right to me. Yes it's full of pretty colors, but I feel it is too "bright" and flashy for a proper color casing job. My standard is the early generation Colt Single Actions. If you want to get it refinished, I would suggest finding someone who uses the cyanide process. Also, get in touch with Shiloh Sharps. They do their coloring in house, do a beautiful job, and if I am remembering correctly, they are about half the price of Turnbull.

Love Life
05-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Looking at the Shiloh site, they are not half the price of Turnbull, and their pictures of Color Case hardened stuff looks remarkably similar to Turnbull's.

country gent
05-13-2014, 06:06 PM
The faded case on my great grandfaters colt is very appealing to my eye also, but its been fading under proper care for 100+ years. Ill bet it was much brighter and defined when new. The original case hardening was done with bone charcoal in a leather wrap and the colrs came from the diffrent heats and amountsof carbon imparted on the surface. That surface is only a few thousandths deep actually, hence why its so fragile. The chemical process is probably even thinner. When heat treat did case with cyinide bath at work it came out a consistant color no patterns. Having seen some of Turnballs restorations work in person I would have him do work for me and consider his prices reasonable for the work involved, polishing, cleaning and all. A professional isnt cheap.

Love Life
05-13-2014, 06:09 PM
I've been pinching my pennies so I can send off my tired Commander to Turnbull for a case colred frame and Carbona bluing. Soon...

dmize
05-13-2014, 06:16 PM
FWIW it is NOT rust.
You can rub it till fingers fall of and and never get anything to transfer to a cloth.
I am guessing it may be a chemical reaction with the metal,sorta like how some old models turn plum.

TUG
05-13-2014, 10:13 PM
If you want it CCH,you might try Alan Harton at single action service. Im not sure who he uses but do not think it is Turnbull.
Ronnie

Tar Heel
05-13-2014, 11:18 PM
It isn't rust. It is some kind of chemical process (which is what rust is of course). At first I though it was rust but no amount of buffing, rubbing, or wishing has stopped it. It is also erupting on other areas of the frame. Notice on the second picture of another Ruger it is in exactly the same location too.

For lack of a better word, it is "silvering". It gets brown but rubbing it with an oily rag does not remove the brown like it would if it were rust. After rubbing for a while, the spot appears more silver - actually like the bare metal is showing through. I think applying more oil changes the light refraction. It definitely is not rust.

Anyway, I'll live with it for a while longer.

Tar Heel
05-13-2014, 11:19 PM
FWIW it is NOT rust.
You can rub it till fingers fall of and and never get anything to transfer to a cloth.
I am guessing it may be a chemical reaction with the metal,sorta like how some old models turn plum.

What is FWIW?

kweidner
05-14-2014, 05:26 PM
What is FWIW?

For What It's Worth

Tar Heel
05-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks