PDA

View Full Version : Doin' it Old School...

Any Cal.
05-11-2014, 09:48 PM
I made a knife for a buddy a while ago, which I showed here... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?208931-Knife-buildup-thread-lots-of-pics. Well, he had a friend who loved it, and had been helping him out, so he asked if I could build one for his buddy if he sent me some bucks. Well, I got to play around with it, as I had been wanting to build a knife like some of the old customs, so here was my best shot.

It was a Jantz D2 blade, with walnut feather crotch handles, Loveless bolts, and brass bolsters. Just playing around- I know everyone likes pics... The sheath is brown unless it is in the sun, where it looks more red. The grain should have had a bit more 'pop', but the stabilized scales I bought weren't done properly.:-x

xs11jack
05-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Wow, a really great knife, a good one to ride the river with.
Ole Jack

xs11jack
05-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Wow, a really great knife, a good one to ride the river with.
Ole Jack

Reg
05-11-2014, 11:02 PM
I would use it. Be darned proud to have it !!

SSGOldfart
05-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Looks good to me I think there is more pop then you think...

Any Cal.
05-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the positive comments!

I believe it was a Jantz supply pattern #22, if you have a desire to build one of your own. They also sell a simple sheath for them, but I would skip the bolsters unless you are a glutton for punishment. The blade is a nice size and shape, and costs about $30 for the plain carbon steel, I think. I am trying to put together a 'how-to' vid with clips I took while making the knife, but need to spend some time editing and uploading.

The sheath was more of a 'show' sheath, for a knife designed for more dirt time I would have done things differently,(or if I wasn't out of leather, dye, snaps, studs, and rivets...):-)

Any Cal.
05-16-2014, 12:04 PM
OK, here is the video. Mostly just for tips and tricks if you are interested in building a knife, but you can see some of the steps of this one getting put together.

http://youtu.be/GXrjyIY89dA