PDA

View Full Version : RCBS LAM vs. Lyman 4500

Boyscout
05-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Currently I use a Lyman 45 and White Label 50-50 Bees Wax. I am seriously considering buying a RCBS LAM or Lyman 4500. I read a lot of negative things about the Lyman 4500 leaking. Comments?

I picked up the 50-50 Bees Wax and Xlox 2500 plus because I could run them through my Lyman 45 without a heater although I did put a small clamp on lamp on it to heat it up some.

MT Chambers
05-11-2014, 09:40 PM
If you currently have a Lyman, I'd get a Star, fastest, most accurate, nothing can touch it.........I do believe that the RCBS unit is more rugged than the Lyman 4500.

Mk42gunner
05-11-2014, 10:22 PM
The whole problem with switching brands of lubers is that with the exception of Lyman and RCBS, nobody's dies interchange. Once you get more than five or ten dies it starts to cost real money to switch methods.

I have an RCBS LAM (not the current LAM II) that I use with FWFL. I also have two of the Lyman 450's (one with the mounting plate heater)that I think I have less than $50.00 in total. I bought the Lymans as targets of opportunity, since I really dislike changing lubes in a lubrisizer. I figure one will be used for BP, probably with a variation of Emmert's Lube; the other will get another type of smokeless, I am trying to decide between Ben's Red and 357 Maximum's Satan Lube.

If I had lots of disposable income and was buying a new in and out lubrisizer, I would buy the RCBS LAM II; it seems to be a bit stronger than the Lyman.

If I was planning to use a lot of handgun boolits, I think I would buy a Star; especially if I already had a Lyman or RCBS to do rifle length boolits with.

Robert

enfieldphile
05-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I have a 30 y/o RCBS LAM. The alignment is still perfect. One part broke, they sent me the part free.

The Lyman & RCBS TP's & Dies do interchange. I find the Lyman dies have a better polish. Changing dies in the RCBS / Lyman are a messy pain.

MTChambers said it right! Get a Star and be happy! I love mine. :) Uber fast operation, clean & easy die change. Star dies & TP's are proprietary. Get your dies & TP's from Lathesmith here on this site.

If you currently have a Lyman, I'd get a Star, fastest, most accurate, nothing can touch it.........I do believe that the RCBS unit is more rugged than the Lyman 4500.

plainsman456
05-12-2014, 01:39 PM
The RCBS is worth the money.If anything breaks they will replace it for free,just contact them,Phone or e-mail.

As for large volumes of pistol boolits save up and get a star,another worth the money.

ROGER4314
06-19-2014, 01:19 AM
I have had several of the Lyman and RCBS units and there would be NOTHING that would induce me to change from either one. The RCBS and Lyman dies and top punches all interchange and to change brands, I'd need to start at square one.

Of the two, I like the RCBS unit better but there's no major reason why I prefer RCBS. Hey, they aren't that expensive....get both!

Flash

Boyscout
06-19-2014, 02:00 AM
I have the RCBS now. I will be using along with my grandfather's Ideal 45.