PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Arms Model 97

BigAl52
05-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm sure this has been gone over before but not having any around my area to put in my hand I am contemplating buying a Model 97. I have an FA 83 and the grip is great for my hand. Its maybe a little on the big side but none the less its comfortable. I was wondering for you guys that own both if you might be able to provide a guy with an xl glove size hand if I might find the 97 to small and regret buying one or if it might be similiar in like comparing a L frame Smith to and N frame smith. I also am aware that its personal preference but dont want to spend the money for a 97 if I would be dissappointed. Thanks Al

Hammerhead
05-12-2014, 03:12 AM
I've shot the 83 and own a 97 in .357.
The grip on the 97 is smaller, juuuuust right for my large glove size hands. My shooting buddy has very large hands, and he has no complaints (and he loves to complain about my gear).
I can't imagine you will be disappointed.
The only issues on my FA are the very tight throats and relatively short cylinder, limiting bullet selection, but it sure don't hurt the accuracy!
Highly recommended.

ole 5 hole group
05-12-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't have a FA 83 but do own a FA97 in 45 Colt. I wear XL gloves and the 97 is small in my hand but not small enough to cause any shooting problems. My pinkie is under the grip, but that isn't a problem for me shooting off-hand.

What is a small shooting problem is the short cylinder with heavy bullets, I need two front sights - one for light bullets and one for heavy bullets and my main gripe of the FA is the barrel twist - it's too slow to suit me, as I need to get the bullets up to around warp speed to attain the best accuracy - acceptable accuracy can be had at lower velocities.

Groo
05-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Groo here
ole 5 hole ,,,, If you keep the bullet weight to the normal 225 to 270 range you should have no problems.
The 1/24in twist will not like 300< boolets unless you drive them hard/ spin them up.
The slow twist will shoot faster and lower stress on the bullet.
But a shorter / standard length bullet will be needed for low speed shooting.
Having done my time with SSK ramslamers [ 320gr 44mags] I now see that there are few things in the U.S. that need more than standard weight bullets.

BigAl52
05-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the replys gents. I have my eye on another 83. I think I will stick with what I know works for me. Al

ole 5 hole group
05-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Groo - Ya, got that figured out but you still need to push the light weights a little hard for great accuracy. When I first got that FA97 and found I couldn't keep all 5 touching or real close to touching at 25 yards, I talked to John at FA and he advised their FA 97 test target is from a load consisting of a 240 grain Sierra pushed by 26 grains of H110 and a CCI350 primer.

Shoots good with that load but it's a little on the warm side. I've found a very acceptable load using VV N340 and a 255 grain cast, which runs right at 925/950 fps.

The 325 grain cast has to be pushed to 1,300 fps to get tight groups and with that light 97, it'll talk to ya.

I once pressure tested that 97 with a couple 325 grain cast bullets flying at 1,486 fps with H110 - it was no joy to say the least but FA John advised he would never recommended that load but said the 97 could take it. Well, the 97 took it in stride but I see no reason to ever put my hand & wrist through that experience again.

The grandkids love shooting that 97 with the VV N-340 loads and they can tear hell out of that 9 & 10 ring at 25 yards off hand - now 50 yards is a different story, as it seems the 7 & 8 ring attracts lead a little better than the X & 10 ring.