PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use the Lee Powder Thru Die?

AbitNutz
05-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm completely unfamiliar with Lee equipment so I'm hoping some folks who are can answer a couple of questions. I have a use for a thru powder expander on a turret press.

With the Lee Powder Thru Die:

Can I use a powder measure other than a Lee? Like an RCBS Uniflow?

How much control do you have over how much it bells the case mouth?

Also, they have separate dies listed for 9mm, 380, 357 and 38 super. Realistically, wouldn't just one do them all?

kbstenberg
05-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Yes on other powder measure.
The only control you have is how far you drive the case onto the radius that flares the case.
Each powder through pistol die has a caliber specific expander. The only rifle calibers that can use the same expanders are 30 cal for the 30 carbine / 35 caliber for the 38-357 / 44 cal for the 44 mag-spcl
But you can purchase a universal insert for all rifle calibers.
Like most reloading dies they are designed for jacketed bullets. You can have larger expanders made by Lathesmith that are cast friendly.

44Vaquero
05-11-2014, 07:49 PM
You can use other powder measures with this adaptor on a Lee die: http://store.gun-guides.com/Perfect-Adapters-_c_12.html

The Lee powder thu dies are designed to automatically operate the Lee Safety Disk powder measure, and have no provision for operating any other type of measure. It is worth noting that both RCBS and Hornady now have powder thru die bodies that can automatically operate their measures. Lyman also has powder thu M-die's that their #55 can be attached to (again manual only).

AbitNutz
05-12-2014, 01:39 AM
I'm confused on the "Gun-Guides" adapter. Is it just a quick connect adapter? I thought any powder measure threaded to 7/8x14 would screw on to the Lee die...no?

AbitNutz
05-12-2014, 01:59 AM
It looks like the Lyman Multi-Expand Charge Die System is the most economical since it comes with all common caliber sizes....then the powder measure screws into the top.

bedbugbilly
05-12-2014, 08:38 AM
I use the Lee 4 die sets for my pistol reloads. The powder thru die works great for me - I have mine adjusted to just do a minimal bell and I only load cast. I can't speak for the other brands of powder measures, but i use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure mounted directly in to the powder thru die by using one of the adapters in the link that was given above. I primarily use Bulls Eye and it throws very consistent loads of the BE. I love the set-up I'm using - the 4 die set on a 4 hole Lee Classic Turret. I can't speak for other powder types but for the BE, the set-up works slick for me. No issues or complaints at all.

44Vaquero
05-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Abitnutz,

No you can not screw a 7/8 x14 powder drop directly onto a Lee die, the body of the die is 7/8 in dia. Same as the powder, hence the need for the adaptor.

If you are using a manual powder measure the Lyman set-up is a good choice!

AbitNutz
05-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Gotcha! Sorry for being so obtuse...The Lyman die apparently does allow a 7/8x14 powder measure to screw directly on to it. It also comes with all the funnel sizes. However, separate Lee dies with the Perfect Adapter would definitely be more convenient.

Meh...knowing how I am, I'll probably try both.

dragon813gt
05-12-2014, 11:15 AM
The advantage of the Lee powder thru dies is that they are case activated. Meaning if you use the Perfect Auto Disk(PAD) it throws the charge when the case is run into the die. If you are using a powder measure that you have dispense manually then the Lyman is better option for cast bullets because it comes w/ M Die plugs. So you actually expand the case instead of just flaring the case mouth like the Lee does. I use the Lee powder thru die to dispense powder(no flare) and then use a M die. I have to seat/crimp in the same step but this setup is faster than dispensing powder manually.