PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using CFE Pistol powder?

wallenba
05-11-2014, 05:05 PM
It became official this year, ALL the local indoor ranges near me have banned lead bullets. So, I am using Berry's plated and Rainier lead safe plated bullets in order to use my worked up load data (these types made for cast bullet loads). Problem is they come sized at groove diameters, and I'm getting a little more copper fouling than I'd like. The CFE (Copper Fouling Eraser) is supposed to help with copper fouling, but will my lighter loads affect that, that's one question. The other is how does it affect accuracy?

tja6435
05-14-2014, 07:55 PM
I've ran it in 9mm with cast and hi-tek coated bullets , so no idea on the erasing properties but accuracy was good. Smell isn't awesome for sure

wallenba
05-15-2014, 12:18 PM
I've ran it in 9mm with cast and hi-tek coated bullets , so no idea on the erasing properties but accuracy was good. Smell isn't awesome for sure

I was wondering how they managed to chemically engineer a propellant to do that. Did it smell of ammonia?

By the way, I too, just ordered a starter kit of Hi-tek, $68. Not arrived yet, looking for a toaster oven now. Might try a little LLA on the plated bullets to see what happens. Besides smoke that is.

bobthenailer
05-16-2014, 07:29 AM
There is a good write up in the new 2014 Hogden reloading book/magazine format all about pistol CFE powder as well as loading info.

wallenba
05-17-2014, 11:52 AM
There is a good write up in the new 2014 Hogden reloading book/magazine format all about pistol CFE powder as well as loading info.

Will try to get my hands on one soon. Thanks.

kawasakifreak77
05-23-2014, 01:37 AM
I don't have any experience with CFE but was given the newest manual contain an article & info on it. PM me if you'd like something looked up.

meister mash
05-23-2014, 10:40 AM
I have tried it in a 380 and 9mm. I think it is too slow for a good 380 load and had some un burnt powder. It seems to work as advertised in the 9mm. I am using berrys and another brand of plated bullets. I need to chrono my loads and test them a bit further though. Their data seems to be really conservative in the Hodgdons manual with only the upper loads cycling the pistols I shot, glock42 and S&W m&P. The 9mm loads were clean as far as bore and powder burnt. My loaded rounds for the 380 are not turning out well and the bullets I have seated are not co eccentric. So I'm going to try a new Hornaday set of dies this week end and maybe chrono those loads and see were velocity is.